Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 26 Jul 19, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Pez01
VIP Dibber

no quirky title it's Pezzers live dining review 2019

Well here we are again - a year has rocked around and we are now just two weeks away from the trip that nearly didn't happen.

The Cast

Me - Sarah aka Pez to anyone that knows me. 40 something self employed recruiter and single parent. I love Disney but I equally love food. Good at cooking but better at eating. Once got shortlisted for Masterchef and got cancer so couldn't participate. Fortunately NED right now after 4 years of treatment and hoping to stay that way.

Eva aka Pezlet. 11 years old. About to start high school and loves all things Disney but also loves Universal. A bit of a free spirit and foodie-in-training.

This is our 4th once in a lifetime trip. This year has had a few challenges work wise and health-wise due to good old Brexit and good old cancer uncertainty but a bit of grafting has safeguarded our trip so we are now super excited to be only two weeks out.

We are going for 3 weeks. I had originally booked 5 nights at HRH club level but the work situation saw the practical Pez make a call to change that this week to 2 nights at Portofino Bay and 3 nights at Cabana Bay instead which saved us over £1000. Rather spend the money there than on a room we are really only using to sleep in. The plan is use express for 3 days then a day at Volcano Bay with the spare day at the pool/free day.

We then move over to Port Orleans French Quarter for 15 nights on deluxe dining plan. We haven't stayed here before so am looking forward to a new food court and beignets. With a few extra beignets for good measure. I've only read good things about this hotel so I'm looking forward to it.

We fly from Manchester Airport with Virgin - we live 10 minutes from the airport which is handy. Booked premium economy and managed to use some miles to upgrade so happy with the flight price we got.

The Universal Plan

I've allocated a strict daily budget of $100. I think it's pretty do-able as we are not big breakfast eaters and will probably just have one big meal in the evening.

So onto the food. We are very unfussy eaters. I will eat absolutely anything. Fish, steak and Italian being my top choices. Eva will want to eat filet steak or burgers for every meal but hates fish. I'm hoping to bribe her to try prawns this year with the promise of pin trading and plushes.

We will be meeting up with an old school friend at Disney who will be there with her daughter who is the same age as Eva so I'm looking forward to a bit of adult company and someone other than me for Eva to talk to. (an adult to have a cocktail with hurrah!) I can finally not have to risk major wedgies at Blizzard Beach and let the kids get on with it whilst us ladies nurse an adult beverage in strategically placed sun loungers. We have planned I think around 7/8 days where we will be in the same parks plus the Halloween party so a different slant on our usual trip and I'm really happy we can do this. They are first timers so it will be fun for Eva to gain in confidence sharing her knowledge with them. She's a bright girl but can be very shy. I'm hoping this trip might help her develop her confidence.

We plan to eat off site a few nights and decided on:

Longhorn - Eva's favourite Orlando restaurant. Filet steak and mash.

Cheesecake Factory - they have cheeseburger spring rolls and cheesecake so I'm sold.

The other 3 nights I am still deciding on so open to recommendations. One night we will probably get Panda Express as it's cheap and cheerful. Read good things about Vivo to get my Italian fix although I would love some recommendations for a decent non pricey Italian. I reckon there is better out there than Vivo. I will update on other choices once I have had a good think. I reckon it will be pretty much deciding on the fly.

Voodoo Donuts - it will happen. It wasn't open last year when we went so I want to have a try.

On to the Disney bit. I've made a lot of ADRs which will change I reckon but I like to have them booked so we have a semblance of a plan.

We have quite a few signatures booked:

Monsieur Paul - this was my stand out last year so was first on the list this year
Yachtsman
Hollywood Brown Derby Fantasmic package
Be Our Guest dinner
Tiffins
California Grill

I've left some spare nights to decide on the day - I fancy Morimoto and STK so hopefully we will do one of those. I would really like to try Flying Fish but I need Eva sold onto the trying fish before we book... as it stands she absolutely refuses to go there!

Kids choices- apparently we live in a democratic society so it's not all about me so I gave them the chance to choose a few places.

They chose:

Planet Hollywood
CRT
Artist Point
Rainforest Cafe
Hoop Dee Doo

I am mostly OK with this apart from Rainforest Cafe - but I have the Landry card and a $25 credit which I hope I can use for cocktails!

I won't bore you with the other ADRs but we plan to do a few on the fly rather than be held to dining reservations.

I'd like to try one of the non dining plan signature level places this year such as Bull & Bear or Shula's. I think it would make a nice change. Thank you Dr JJ for your report it's given me some ideas...

We've a ton of character breakfasts booked so watch this space to see where we go!

Few other things of note - we have H20 Glow booked again - will try a few snacks there for DIBB research purposes and we will be at opening day of Food and Wine which is a first for us... I cannot wait for that! Plus MNSSHP on our last night so lots of extra bits to look out for.

That's all for now folks but will update as I make last minute changes to the Masterplan.

Please comment on any recommendations/feedback it's always appreciated!

2001 Sheraton International Drive
2016 Caribbean Beach Resort
2017 Port Orleans Riverside
2018 Port Orleans Riverside and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel
Pez01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 19, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
KeepSmiling
Proud to wear my Ears

All sounds awesome. We shall be at Universal the same time as you. My daughter is also looking forward to Voodoo donuts and to a milkshake at Toothsome. Eva may like those too. Have a wonderful vacation and hope you enjoy the cocktails!
KeepSmiling is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 19, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Pez01
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by KeepSmiling View Post
All sounds awesome. We shall be at Universal the same time as you. My daughter is also looking forward to Voodoo donuts and to a milkshake at Toothsome. Eva may like those too. Have a wonderful vacation and hope you enjoy the cocktails!
Not long to go for you! Freak shakes at Toothsome are definitely in the agenda I think. Have a super trip 😊😊😊

Pez01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 19, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Looking forward to your report.We just got back from a week in cabana bay [booked 3 days before we travelled) .Favourite meal of holiday was at the Hard Rock Cafe ...steak salad with blue cheese and pickled red onion.It was stunning x
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 19, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

Excited to see you are doing a food report! I booked then cancelled then rebooked Flying Fish - I bet you can persuade Eva to go with the lure of the wagyu filet... 😄👍
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 19, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Pez01
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridaagogo View Post
Looking forward to your report.We just got back from a week in cabana bay [booked 3 days before we travelled) .Favourite meal of holiday was at the Hard Rock Cafe ...steak salad with blue cheese and pickled red onion.It was stunning x
What are the breakfast options like at Cabana Bay? How’s the pool? I only booked this week purely on price so didn’t research which for me is unheard of 😊😊😊

Old 26 Jul 19, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Pez01
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by GezzasGem View Post
Excited to see you are doing a food report! I booked then cancelled then rebooked Flying Fish - I bet you can persuade Eva to go with the lure of the wagyu filet... 😄👍
You know I’m sorely tempted to just book it and tell her to order the steak - I really really want to eat that sea bass with leeks plus the pork belly starter. In fact I’m off to make an ADR if it is available 😂

Old 26 Jul 19, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

1.bacon egg and cheese croissant with breakfast potatoes.2.ham and cheese croissant with potatoes.3.flatbread wrap with scrambled egg,jack cheese,peppers ,tomato served with potatoes.4.bagels,croissants,cinnamon rolls,5.waffles with maple syrup and strawberries 6.breakfast combo scrambled eggs,sausage,bacon,potatoes)7.pancakes or french toast.
We loved the hotel and the pool.transportaion to parks was brilliant.We preferred the main pool with the slide and the poolside cafe served great food at a reasonable price .Anything else just ask xxx
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 19, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

Looking forward to your food trippie. Some very good choices there.
Old 26 Jul 19, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Pez01
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridaagogo View Post
1.bacon egg and cheese croissant with breakfast potatoes.2.ham and cheese croissant with potatoes.3.flatbread wrap with scrambled egg,jack cheese,peppers ,tomato served with potatoes.4.bagels,croissants,cinnamon rolls,5.waffles with maple syrup and strawberries 6.breakfast combo scrambled eggs,sausage,bacon,potatoes)7.pancakes or french toast.
We loved the hotel and the pool.transportaion to parks was brilliant.We preferred the main pool with the slide and the poolside cafe served great food at a reasonable price .Anything else just ask xxx
That sounds ideal. Eva loves the water slides and the reasonable prices helps too so we can stick to budget. We don’t want to spend loads during the day as I’d rather go out in the evening for a nice off site tea. Thanks for this it’s really useful xx