Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 16 Sep 19, 12:12 AM  
Link to this Post
llamala
Imagineer

Downton Abbey

Just back from watching Downton Abbey, If you enjoyed the series , the film is very enjoyable, Maggie Smith is fab, with loads of witty remarks.
Hope they do another series.
llamala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 06:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I did enjoy it but I didn’t really feel as if I was watching a movie. It was a Christmas special in the cinema. None of the characters really got much airtime and there were too many little sub plots going on. Don’t get me wrong, it was beautifully made, the costumes, beautiful setting, the music. The Americans will love it !

I don’t think there will be a new series. If the film makes enough money I’m sure there will be another movie though. One of the actors (it may have been the actor who plays Carson) said they had to give 6 months to make a series and the actors would not be able to give this amount of time in the future. With a film they had to give about 6 weeks.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
As a fan of the series I loved it. One of the friends I went with had never seen the series and she loved it too.
Old 19 Sep 19, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Infinity Red
Imagineer

I've watched all the Downton episodes on tv and enjoyed them, I watched the film last night in the cinema.
The costumes etc were very nice and its good the whole cast were in it, but the storyline was very weak , no grip factor whatsoever lol. It must have taken Julien ten mins to think of that story , but hey ho it's only my opinion. I'd still watch if it comes back on tv.
Old 19 Sep 19, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

I've just arranged to go and see the film next week with my sister. She is a huge Downton Abbey fan, but I have never seen it on the TV, I quite like the look of the film though. Maggie Smith is a fantastic actress.
Old 19 Sep 19, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
I did enjoy it but I didn’t really feel as if I was watching a movie. It was a Christmas special in the cinema. None of the characters really got much airtime and there were too many little sub plots going on. Don’t get me wrong, it was beautifully made, the costumes, beautiful setting, the music. The Americans will love it !

I don’t think there will be a new series. If the film makes enough money I’m sure there will be another movie though. One of the actors (it may have been the actor who plays Carson) said they had to give 6 months to make a series and the actors would not be able to give this amount of time in the future. With a film they had to give about 6 weeks.
I’m yet to go and watch it , it seems strange to me to pay to go and see something at the cinema that we watch seasonally every week on the tv , I have an unlimited card so I have already paid to see as many movies as I can get in in a year but if I didn’t have the card I don’t think I would choose Downton as one I would pay to watch , I know exactly what you mean about it being more like a Christmas special .im looking forward to seeing it but i do wonder if this is a trial to see if they can make Downton into a regular cinema showing rather than put it on the tv as a regular show .
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Lindaelaine View Post
I’m yet to go and watch it , it seems strange to me to pay to go and see something at the cinema that we watch seasonally every week on the tv , I have an unlimited card so I have already paid to see as many movies as I can get in in a year but if I didn’t have the card I don’t think I would choose Downton as one I would pay to watch , I know exactly what you mean about it being more like a Christmas special .im looking forward to seeing it but i do wonder if this is a trial to see if they can make Downton into a regular cinema showing rather than put it on the tv as a regular show .

The TV series ended a few years ago with the final episode being the Christmas 2015 special. The film was ok but very much like an extended tv show, not sure what sort of storyline they could use to make more though
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
meggy
Imagineer

meggy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I watched the full rerun on itv3 ended last Friday and went to see the film today!.

Really enjoyed it, though it was I guess like a Christmas special! Won't spoil it for those who have not seen it, but got an unexpected lump in my throat at one stage
meggy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Ds4ljs
Imagineer

Ds4ljs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Infinity Red View Post
I've watched all the Downton episodes on tv and enjoyed them, I watched the film last night in the cinema.
The costumes etc were very nice and its good the whole cast were in it, but the storyline was very weak , no grip factor whatsoever lol. It must have taken Julien ten mins to think of that story , but hey ho it's only my opinion. I'd still watch if it comes back on tv.
I felt just like that too.😳
Ds4ljs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

DH and I saw it on Tuesday. If I were a betting woman, I would put a wedge on it being Christmas Day viewing in the next year or two. We really enjoyed it. It was touching in parts. Dame Maggie had some killer lines. Loved her attitude at the end. It resonated with me having family in the same position. (Hope that’s obtuse enough not to be a spoiler.)