Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Sep 19, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
stace
Imagineer

Anyone know anthing re car warrantys & broken down cars

hi all,

Does anyone know laws etc regarding buying a used car and its warranty

We bought a use clio a few months ago and i have taken it to the garage this morning as it wasnt running right and unfortunatly it needs a new gear box

However it is only 5 days out of warranty and we have hardly used it? We bought it from a local garage on HP. My mechanic advised there is a new law that says the vehicle must be fit for purpose and that we may be able to get the cost of the repair back or something?

Does anyone have any info or advise re this

thank you
stace is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

What is the age and mileage of the car, and how long was the warranty?
You say you have had it for a few months. Just how long is that?
You also need to know how many miles you have done since it was bought.

Once these are answered then it gives others a better chance to comment.

You also need to get specific details of the “new law” from your mechanic, what it entails how long after purchase is it applicable etc.

The more info the better.
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
stace
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
What is the age and mileage of the car, and how long was the warranty?
You say you have had it for a few months. Just how long is that?
You also need to know how many miles you have done since it was bought.

Once these are answered then it gives others a better chance to comment.

You also need to get specific details of the “new law” from your mechanic, what it entails how long after purchase is it applicable etc.

The more info the better.

Thanks i will get that checked - i know there arent that many miles on it but i will check - just dont dare mention it just yet as he stressed as his family dog died last night too

thanks again
stacey
stace is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Do you mean the car was 5 days out of manufacturer warranty ? Eg for example it was 3 years and 5 days from new ( even though it was second hand when you bought it ) ?
Or did your garage give you say a 3 month warranty that was covered by him ?
Was it a recognised ‘ high street’ garage or a local one man band type operation ?
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
stace
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi yes it was a local one man band type garage and I think it was a 3 month warranty which came with the garage not a manufacturer warranty

Thanks Stacey
Old 16 Sep 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

All garage sales are covered by a “fit for purpose” warranty for 6 months. You have a legitimate claim against the garage for them to repair or replace the faulty item. Unless it was a trade sale i.e. Sold as Seen you’re covered.

“... During the first six months after purchase, it's the responsibility of the seller to prove the fault wasn't there, not for you to prove that it was... ”

Read this: which/consumer-rig...-are-my-rights

Edited at 07:58 PM.
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 19, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
stace
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi thank you so much I will go and have a read of that and see what the garage say just don’t want to speak to them till we know our rights etc so thank you so much that’s much appreciated

Stacey
Old 17 Sep 19, 01:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stace View Post
We bought it from a local garage on HP.

Contact your local Citizens Advice for help.
You need to check whether your finance agreement is actually Hire Purchase, in which case that is a positive.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 06:10 AM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
All garage sales are covered by a “fit for purpose” warranty for 6 months. You have a legitimate claim against the garage for them to repair or replace the faulty item. Unless it was a trade sale i.e. Sold as Seen you’re covered.

“... During the first six months after purchase, it's the responsibility of the seller to prove the fault wasn't there, not for you to prove that it was... ”

Read this: which/consumer-rig...-are-my-rights
I was just coming on to say this. I had a similar issue in that my head gasket blew after about a month out of my warranty.

Anyway the garage didn’t seem aware of the above and I had to really fight for it...but in the end they replaced the whole engine at no cost to me. So be prepared to be quite firm but you should be well within your rights.
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
stace
Imagineer

Thank you to everyone for your advise we have spoken with the garage and after a bit of discussion regarding the issue and discussing all the fab info you all gave me - he has asked for my mechanic to send in the quote so hopefully it will get sorted.

fingers crossed
thanks
stacey