Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Sep 19, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
dpmcalister
Apprentice Imagineer

dpmcalister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Chris7cc View Post
Oh and yes I am one of those idiots who would rather be watching the road and driving to the conditions and not having to worry about going slightly over the limit than watching the speedo every few seconds and causing massive tailbacks as every other person is queuing up behind me as I haven't seen them in my rear view mirror as I am looking almost down all the time.
If you engage cruise control you don't have to worry about it. "Driving to the conditions" isn't an excuse to speed and I can tell you that if you used that as an excuse you wouldn't get any sympathy from a traffic cop. Nor the excuse that you were only keeping up with the rest of the traffic. Limits are there for a reason. If you want to break them that is up to you but don't make up excuses for it.
Old 18 Sep 19, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Pottery
Imagineer

Personally, don't speed. As the fines are large. Up to $400. You can also go to court if you do over 90 and possible jail time!
Pottery is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Thanks for that Sprocket, on the motorway I can tell you now that no traffic cop in the UK is going to pull you if you are doing 77mph according to your speedo (at which point you are actually only doing 75mph) as long as you are driving safely.

The reason I ask is that I know the traffic enforcement rules vary wildly across the states.

Oh and yes I am one of those idiots who would rather be watching the road and driving to the conditions and not having to worry about going slightly over the limit than watching the speedo every few seconds and causing massive tailbacks as every other person is queuing up behind me as I haven't seen them in my rear view mirror as I am looking almost down all the time.
That is simply not the case. Many have been pulled and have points for being just over the limit on the motorways of the UK. Especially where there are variable limits - but not exclusively.
Keeping to the speed limit isn't as difficult as you make out - it is really simple.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

As above, just don't speed in the USA. The fines are large & on the spot / drive to cashpoint to pay up / charged to your car rental company. Stupid speeding will see you arrested - possibly worse.

Again, as above, the ACPO guidelines in the UK are just that - guidelines. The 10%+2mph over the limit rule is a guideline at which enforcement should be started. It's sensible advice to stop people worrying too much about the speedo & keep very minor transgressions out of the system, as opposed to road traffic / safety. That said, an ex-colleagues wife was ticketed for doing 31 in a 30 over Trent Bridge (Nottingham) a couple of years ago.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
As above, just don't speed in the USA. The fines are large & on the spot / drive to cashpoint to pay up / charged to your car rental company. Stupid speeding will see you arrested - possibly worse.

Again, as above, the ACPO guidelines in the UK are just that - guidelines. The 10%+2mph over the limit rule is a guideline at which enforcement should be started. It's sensible advice to stop people worrying too much about the speedo & keep very minor transgressions out of the system, as opposed to road traffic / safety. That said, an ex-colleagues wife was ticketed for doing 31 in a 30 over Trent Bridge (Nottingham) a couple of years ago.
The ACPO guidelines are used less and less to the point they are ignored. I know many that have been done for 1-2 mph over in the UK. They get offered a course rather than points. But still have to pay the fine. I think the reason is that this is now a good revenue stream hence less flexibility.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Driving on the I4 can be like Wacky Races (especially on the journey down to Tampa). If you stick to the limit you’ll find yourself being overtaken on both sides and quite possibly with a car/truck around 12 inches off your butt. Leave a safe gap and it’ll disappear in seconds but don’t worry too much. Just keep checking your mirrors and keep your distance from the cars in front and you’ll be fine. You will find some cars dodging along far too slowly as well so be prepared to join in and speed sometimes.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Ritz
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
The ACPO guidelines are used less and less to the point they are ignored. I know many that have been done for 1-2 mph over in the UK. They get offered a course rather than points. But still have to pay the fine. I think the reason is that this is now a good revenue stream hence less flexibility.
That's interesting as a recent FOI to forces show they give at least 10% plus 2 mph. I think it's a case of people not admitting how far over the limit they are.
Ritz is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Thanks for that Sprocket, on the motorway I can tell you now that no traffic cop in the UK is going to pull you if you are doing 77mph according to your speedo (at which point you are actually only doing 75mph) as long as you are driving safely.

The reason I ask is that I know the traffic enforcement rules vary wildly across the states.

Check your speed with google maps app (at least on Android) My Nissan is doing an indicated 75mph when the gps shows 70. Drove down the us27 to Miami which isn’t even highway and almost all 50 limit. It was scary how many trucks overtook me, even in a massive thunderstorm.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
youre-nicked
VIP Dibber

As a UK traffic cop I can clarify a few things that have been mentioned, there is an ACPO guideline of 10 % plus 2 mph so on a 70 mph road this equates to 79mph.

This guideline is for speed cameras and is not for officers on the road, at 1mph over the speed limit you are speeding and can be fined.

A lot of traffic officers like me use a bit of discretion and don't prosecute for going a bit over on a dual carriageway as those limits were set a long time ago when a majority of the cars couldn't handle that speed very well and were not as safe as they are now, ACPO have been actively trying to have the motorway speed limit increased to 80 mph for years but it keeps getting opposed by the Government.

In Florida I just bimble everywhere as I wouldn't want to get stopped by a cop, I've met some over here who were on exchange and even in a friendly environment didn't have much of a sense of humour
Old 18 Sep 19, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
shabba
Apprentice Imagineer

shabba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

What ever the limit is, stick to it. Irrespective of others speed around you. $281 lighter, I now know this.
shabba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List