Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 18 Sep 19, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
soph007
Getting to know the DIBB

Car hire or Uber?

Hello,

I'm sure this is a question that has been asked many times before but we are a party of four 23 - 27 year olds (poss 5 of us) going back to WDW 16-30th August 2020. Last time I went with my family 2 years ago we hired a car and my Dad drove.

I'm now wondering if it would be cheaper for us to use Uber (and easier since none of us have driven in Florida before). We would be mainly doing WDW, a few days at Universal, and a few shopping trips here and there (as well as Walmart runs few times in the 2 weeks).

I'm a keen lover of Uber and use it in all the countries I visit as find it so convenient but trying to work out costs I'm wondering if because there's possibly going to be 5 of us, it would be cheaper to just hire a car?

What are people's thoughts please?

Thank you!
soph007 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Its a personal preference, but Uber/Lyft are now starting to work out cheaper than hiring a car, fuel, tolls, parking etc
I prefer being driven around, its a holiday.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Only the over 25 year olds will be able to drive without paying a huge premium so that is one aspect to consider.
Where you are staying is another eg a hotel with a free shuttle you can use sometimes if not always versus a villa that will always require car or Uber/Lyft
Will the drivers want to drink
Will you always want to do everything together ALL of the time (two weeks is a LOT of together time) even with a car some days you may find some want a later start or some couple time and join up later for example ... or just plain Orlando exhaustion ...or preference for staying for fireworks or pool time.
Don't forget to budget in $25 a day parking at the parks , it adds up over two weeks.
if you go the Uber/Lyft route remember to make referral codes work so once one person has used Lyft they then refer the next person so you double dip on first ride/referral discounts.
I'd have a group chat about how you will handle it if you find you want to do different things whereas with a family you can tell kids what the plans for the day are ... not so easy with couples or friends , if you want rope drop and they won't get up ! If not addressed before you go it can cause a lot of resentments whilst away and is one of the biggest tension points in non family (and some family) Orlando trips !

I'm pro Uber/Lyft and our last trip to Orlando was car free and we loved it but where you are staying can change that completely. With that age group I'd probably look at places with free shuttles and eating places within walking distance and Uber/Lyft it but every group is different.

Edited at 11:00 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkjon
Imagineer

Tinkjon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 7
The only thing that puts me off Uber/Lyft is that you need wifi or data for it to work. At most parks, you lose your wifi signal at the Uber pick-up point, so it's a guessing game.
Tinkjon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
dynomikered
Excited about Disney

We have always hired a car when In Florida but this year we were staying at the Hard Rock for 3 nights at the start of our holiday, so me being a tight ass and not wanting to pay the parking fees decided not to hire a car for the first 3 days. I can only say how easy and pleasant using Uber/Lyft was, we even used them when we had the car.
It was cheep and we didn't have to wait more than 5 mins even at park pick up, we also had 3uk sims so the data wasn't an issue
We are going for a week soon and will not be using car hire full stop

hope this helps

mike
dynomikered is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Billy Beatnik
Imagineer

Each to their own, but we’d never consider Florida without a car. We can then choose to do Busch Gardens or KSC.
Old 18 Sep 19, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkjon
Imagineer

Tinkjon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by Billy Beatnik View Post
Each to their own, but we’d never consider Florida without a car. We can then choose to do Busch Gardens or KSC.
We hire a car but never drive to Busch Gardens - always use the free shuttle.
Tinkjon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Sweets
like a dog with a bone

We've been 3 times and never hired a car and always use uber for eating offsite, shopping, visiting other parks etc. We've done this as a family of 4 and 3. And we've never had any issues with connections either. We plan to do the same next time.

Port Orleans Riverside ~ Oct 2012
Hard Rock Hotel (no Disney!) ~ Aug 2016
New York, Sheraton NY Times Square ~ Feb 2017
Santorini, Dana Villas ~ Aug 2017
Yacht Club ~ Sept 2018
Caribbean Cruise, P&O ~ Mar 2019
Caribbean Beach Resort ~ May 2022
Caribbean Beach Resort ~ May 2023

Sweets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 01:10 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Billy Beatnik View Post
You just need to plan (not a problem for most dibbers )
In May we had five days in Orlando then picked up a hire car did Mount Dora for the day , left Orlando the next day for Tampa to do BG and Clearwater. We then drove onto Vero and returned the car to MIA but equally could have returned to Orlando and returned the car and gone back to Lyft/Uber again for more parks.
Most people who pooh pooh the idea have never tried it. It's quite an eye opener just how much easier it is (and no trekking to the outer reaches of the car parks after a day of walking or the discussions about who is the designated driver when heading out for dinner either)
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 06:29 AM  
Link to this Post
mseagle
Apprentice Imagineer

I always get a car for convenience and because I always have done ! Definitely seen a lot more people choosing your option.when I went last year my daughter and her boyfriend got Uber’s all the time and it was cheap, reliable and easy. If the issue is driving don’t let that be - it is genuinely great driving out there and you will get used to it in no time at all. Cost wise it will certainly work out pretty cheap for 4/5 of you and car hire is no longer cheap. You will also save on parking at the theme parks and that cost is significant. So I can see it could definitely save you some money. I suppose then it comes down to convenience - all the trips to and from the parks, the Walmart runs, the heading to restaurants and bars and backs. So that will add up in terms of number of trips. But you sound like a frequent Uber user so can see that may not be an issue, particularly when there are plenty of cars around for hire. So plenty to think about but having seen my daughter use Uber a lot I can definitely see it would be a good option for you.

Beautiful 4 Bedroom Villa with private pool and spa on the popular High Grove Community

Lovely view over a conservation area

Villa website : www.floridavillausa.com
mseagle is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List