Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 323
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Hi Heather,
As much as I would like to give a black and white answer I can't. Each thread/Post has to be taken on it's own merit depending on the actual context of the thread. One of the reasons we don't want members trying to moderate the threads.

Why should threads on 'Tipping' for example be banned just because some members can't be adult about things. This thread has been made so that we can tackle the members that turn innocent threads into arguments.

If someone asks about tipping and someone says I don't bother tipping, that is just them expressing what they are doing or their opinion, it's not an excuse for other members to then have a go at them telling them they shouldn't be going to florida if they can't afford to tip, etc.

Admin and Moderators will decide which threads are allowed or not allowed.
Unread 18 Feb 13, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Hi Heather,
As much as I would like to give a black and white answer I can't. Each thread/Post has to be taken on it's own merit depending on the actual context of the thread. One of the reasons we don't want members trying to moderate the threads.

Why should threads on 'Tipping' for example be banned just because some members can't be adult about things. This thread has been made so that we can tackle the members that turn innocent threads into arguments.

If someone asks about tipping and someone says I don't bother tipping, that is just them expressing what they are doing or their opinion, it's not an excuse for other members to then have a go at them telling them they shouldn't be going to florida if they can't afford to tip, etc.

I think these can be the most frustrating posts though!

Someone asks what to do in a certain tipping situation (eg party of 6 ) it doesn't call for someone to then say they don't bother tipping at all.

In a similar manner if someone asks what is the legal allowance for bringing goods into the UK from the USA it doesn't call for someone to posts they always bring more.

Neither reply is answering the question and will always get an alternative response causing a discussion and not the information required by the op.

I know this thread isn't for discussion and really for information so will leave this.

I appreciate that there are a lot of members with many different points of views so there will always be some very 'lively' discussions.

Thanks for the reply.

Edited at 02:44 PM.
Heather1957 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
6 week USA Road Trip!
Unread 18 Feb 13, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
andynkayj
Imagineer

Sounds perfectly good to me
Caribbean Beach 2017
Port Orleans Riverside again 2020
andynkayj is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
An 18th and a 50th birthday in one trip
Unread 18 Feb 13, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Hayley&Gareth
Imagineer

Hayley&Gareth's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 23

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 28
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Hi Heather,

I think what Heather is getting at is, we have bans on threads like taking children out of school. Like tipping, threads like that descend into a debate. Ultimately both are created with a view of saving money. I guess it would save moderating time if you banned both.
Hayley&Gareth is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
6 Weeks USA Tour!
Unread 18 Feb 13, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Administrator

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
Originally Posted by Heather1957 View Post
In a similar manner if someone asks what is the legal allowance for bringing goods into the UK from the USA it doesn't call for someone to posts they always bring more.
That is why we say DO NOT POST ON IT. Report it and IF we decide to remove it, we will. IF we decide not to then you have to accept that and deal with it WITHOUT posting on that thread. You cannot at that point go on to tell them they are wrong as all that will do is cause an argument which is EXACTLY what we do not want on theDIBB.

Also please do not expect it to be removed the instant it is reported. The mods might be dealing with something else. It might take a few hours if the mods need to clarify something and read a massive long thread to see exactly what caused the issue.

Also I have seen posts saying that mods should have removed this. We probably have not seen it. We do not read every post. Report it instead of posting it should not be allowed.
SMAX is online now Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Unread 18 Feb 13, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Administrator

Stu's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 323
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Hayley&Gareth View Post
I think what Heather is getting at is, we have bans on threads like taking children out of school. Like tipping, threads like that descend into a debate. Ultimately both are created with a view of saving money. I guess it would save moderating time if you banned both.
A new member, first time visitor to Florida, posts a genuine question/concern on Tipping and suddenly finds their thread closed, that isn't very friendly.

We shouldn't have to ban a subject just because certain members take the subject and turn it into a personal attack.

We will be tackling the members that cause these sort of threads to be closed rather than banning carte blanche certain subjects. This is going to be more work for us in the beginning but it will allow us to identify and weed out those members causing problems for the other 99.99% of members
Unread 18 Feb 13, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
NicolaFred
Imagineer

NicolaFred's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 13
Agree 100% with the opening post, and it's a shame you had to post it. I've felt like the forum was getting spoiled which is why I stay clear of chat and news (I'd be happy for that to be deleted, but that's just my personal opinion) and I feel I'm 'safe' in other parts of the forum. So thank you for hopefully heading towards a happier forum.

And a point on tricky subjects, if someone is asking a question, it should be answered, and when it's answered leave it at that, I don't understand why people need to victimise and start arguments on what is essentially a forum about people planning a Disney holiday, its madness.

Edited at 03:03 PM.
NicolaFred is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
First DLP Trip
Unread 18 Feb 13, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
On the forum I run (that is nothing to do with Disney or holiday planning) I have a 'Moderating Decisions' forum. It can only be posted to my moderators and admins and replies are not permitted.

As the name suggests, it is used to post moderating decisions in the spirit of full transparency. It helps users who might wonder why a particular user has 'disappeared' and helps to stop lots of subsequent threads "Does anyone know what happened to XXXXX?" and the like. It also helps to set the tone with examples of behaviour that is not deemed suitable for the site, hopefully providing guidance for others.

It's not used for minor moderating decisions, such as the odd infraction, but more significant actions.

It's something you might want to think about as I've had it in place for some years and I genuinely think it helps keep the site on track.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Closed Thread