Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 6 Apr 17, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunny Florida
slightly serious Dibber

Waiting for a knee replacement and holiday insurance

Hi all I posted this question on the Florida planning forum first had one lovely reply,but need to know if anyone has been in this predicament.I rang up yesterday to find out where I am on the waiting list and was told late September early October.I,m feeling pretty good this last two weeks due to a steroid injection for my rheumatoid arthritis and was hoping to book a holiday last min as we have had to cancel the last 2 years down to my dd ill health she is really great at the moment so don't want to let everyone down with my health as if we don't go before June it will be another year we'll have to miss.Hope someone can give me some advice.
Thank you
Old 7 Apr 17, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post

I've had both knee joints replaced and know what the waiting time entails. I've also had the steroid injections you mention, some more successful than others. It depends largely on the doctor's ability to get right into the joint. Some enter from the front and some from the side.

As you approach the operation date, the steroid's effectiveness tends to get shorter in duration - mine went from 12 weeks down to four over a five year period. If you can - and it's possible- why not ask for a steroid injection immediately prior to your holiday? You CAN ask!

As for insurance, I don't think the companies would concern themselves too much with the complaint as it's most unlikely that you'll need treatment or hospitalisation in the USA because of it.

You may find some difficulty with the extra walking (my daughter's just returned from a day in Universal and clocked up nine miles!) and if so, why not consider hiring an electric scooter from a local company? I did this for my last visit and it was superb. I paid about $260 for 13 days use and the scooter was delivered and collected to/from my hotel. Disney charge $50 a day to hire one!

My hotel even arranged for transportation to and from the theme parks for me and the scooter as I didn't have a car. There was no charge. What a deal!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 17, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunny Florida
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks TerryAFS yes the injections have little affect on me lately but this time I had a deep muscle injection not just for my knee but for all my joints as I have rheumatoid arthritis it seems to have done the trick for my knee as well as the rest of my joints.Thanks for your reply I'm going to ring around this weekend to see if I can get insurance and at what cost.
Old 7 Apr 17, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
fluffychicken
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Insurance won't cover you for if you cancelling due to your operation.
fluffychicken is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 17, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunny Florida
slightly serious Dibber

I've been looking for holiday insurance all day today.Thought it may be a probelem getting cover due to the fact that I'm on the waiting list for a knee replacement it turns out that this is not a problem found lot of companies that will insure me.Stay Suer has come up at a good price the problem we have is that my dd had an operation last year and is bumping the price up.So just wanted to post this as I couldn't find much information about being on a waiting list for a knee replacement and weather or not you would be able to get holiday insurance.So don't worry this isn't a problem.