Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 15 Apr 17, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

I was thinking perhaps he could take a marvel character with him and use the social story to be about the character and his feelings and how he has a fear of flying.
Your son could perhaps relate to this and you could ask how he can help the character overcome his fear of flying.
Can he suggest some things that might help the character.
That way, he may be able to express the triggers/whats upsetting him and what might help him through the characters eyes/interaction with the character.

I have done something similar in the past on a number of occasions and with the right research and 'tools' (character) visual aids etc, it worked really well.

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 17, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
jclutton
Very Serious Dibber

jo williams
How about starting again and do a desensitising programme with him, take him to the airport and let him watch the planes, then go into the airport, then do both and add a bit at a time, I know you can't do the whole thing, get him to watch you tube clips, plenty to do on the plane etc, I work with adults with learning disabilities and have found orientation and desentising programmes really effective.

Thanks, we have been doing this for a while, taking him every week to watch the planes land and take off.

Edited at 02:14 PM.
jclutton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 17, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
jclutton
Very Serious Dibber

YLL
I'm sorry to say this but if it's superheroes and wrestling that gets him excited, I'm not sure how a Disney holiday is the right fit (and I understand, my auntie is an educator for kids with Down's syndrome).

The superheroes are to be found in Universal and Hulk Hogan (his favourite wrestler) has just opened a store on I-drive. There is plenty to be done in Florida that doesn't revolve around a mouse.

Edited at 02:15 PM.
jclutton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 17, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
jclutton
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by macjaddie View Post
Can he have a social story printed out and laminated so he can go through it over and over. Then he can also take it with him on the journey. Defiantly a good suggestion about it featuring his favourite characters
We have already done a similar thing, a family friend has supplied us with something for him to look at and we go through it each day.
Old 30 May 17, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
jclutton
Very Serious Dibber

Well the morning of the holiday arrived and he got all the way to the gate where he had a panic attack and refused to go on the plane. I tried reassuring him and explaining things but it was no use, my mum had to stay behind and take him home and I got on the plane with minutes to spare.
Old 30 May 17, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Johnsonsontour
Apprentice Imagineer

Johnsonsontour's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by jclutton View Post
Well the morning of the holiday arrived and he got all the way to the gate where he had a panic attack and refused to go on the plane. I tried reassuring him and explaining things but it was no use, my mum had to stay behind and take him home and I got on the plane with minutes to spare.
I'm soo sorry to hear this. Don't give up any future plans, it may be that he needs more time & help with planning from professionals who help lots of people overcome their fear of flying, not just people with additional needs.
Sunset Lakes - Villa Aug 2015, Aug 2016 Oct 2017 Oct 2019
Johnsonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 17, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Bless him , sorry it turned out that way ... fear and anxiety are horrible things , don't give up though and maybe in time he will do it... remind him how well he did last time getting right up to the gate and tell him he just had to do that one last thing of getting onto the plane... tell him all the positives you experienced on the flight and maybe just maybe it might help.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 17, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
jclutton
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks, my Mum is now looking at the possibility of booking a transatlantic cruise both ways for them, I know it's expensive and takes about a week both ways but they are determined that they visit Florida one last time.
Old 30 May 17, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Johnsonsontour
Apprentice Imagineer

Johnsonsontour's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Thanks, my Mum is now looking at the possibility of booking a transatlantic cruise both ways for them, I know it's expensive and takes about a week both ways but they are determined that they visit Florida one last time.
I really do hope they do get to Florida one last time
Sunset Lakes - Villa Aug 2015, Aug 2016 Oct 2017 Oct 2019
Johnsonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 17, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Sorry to hear this it's such a shame. I was really hoping he could go and enjoy himself.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List