Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 1 May 17, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Sunny Florida
slightly serious Dibber

Travel insurance and benign intracranial hypertension

Hi all I have benign intracranial hypertension have declared this to our insurance company as a pre-existing condition.Had to have a lumbar puncture on Friday to drain some fluid off as I was experiencing some headaches.This is what's needed to be done with this condition haven't needed one for the last 2 years sometimes I have them yearly sometimes 2yearly sometimes 3yearly that's how sporadic they are so trust it to be now.My question is should I tell the insurance company that I have had it done or is the fact that I have declared that I have this condition enough.
Thanks in advance
Old 1 May 17, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
carolmc
Imagineer

I would notify them... just for peace of mind. You might find that it's something that they "expect" as part of a treatment plan but better safe than sorry. Just my opinion.
Old 1 May 17, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
plutofan1
Imagineer

Mobile

I would tell them what you have had done
I have two children ( well adults ) with iih
And I make sure that the eldest informs her travel insurance as she tends to have a couple of LPs a year
To reduce the pressure.
plutofan1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 17, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Sunny Florida
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks that's what I was thinking
Old 1 May 17, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post

Tell them everything. They'll then look into it and either accept the matter without penalty or load the premium by a small amount. A problem would arise if you had any complications relating to the matter - no matter how small - and they hadn't been informed. They may then declare that the policy is null and void as a result.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 17, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunny Florida
slightly serious Dibber

Have informed our travel insurance and they have charged me £25 extra.So all systems go can't wait.
Thanks all x
Old 1 May 17, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Sunny Florida View Post
Have informed our travel insurance and they have charged me £25 extra.So all systems go can't wait.
Thanks all x
Very wise to have done so.

Have a good holiday, with the assurance that you're well covered!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 23, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
tabernacle
First POST

Hello, I've just been undergoing tests for possible IIH and am holding back on booking a cruise until my consultant comes back to me with the results of the tests I've had so far, I'd be interested if anyone has any more recent experience with insurance availablity regarding IIH, will come back when I have more details for my own particular situation

Thanks for reading and any suggestions/help that may be around
tabernacle is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 23, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Kawaii
Excited about Disney

My daughter (12) has recently been diagnosed with IIH and is on acetazolamide to treat it. We contacted our insurance which is through the bank nationwide and told them, they have put it on record and said we don't have to pay any extra. The lady on the phone did ask if she's had a shunt to treat it, which she hasn't, so I don't know if they would add a charge on for that.
Kawaii is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 23, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
NotaRegularMom
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

I have IIH I always declare it as if I was to have a flair up out there I’d want to make sure I was covered. It only costs £15-£25 more but at least your covered x
NotaRegularMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List