Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 20 Apr 17, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Which of these wheelchairs for the parks?

Hi Im looking for more advice on wheelchairs. I don't use one at home as my son never goes anywhere where he would be required to walk very far. However he will definitely need one for the parks and possibly for the long walk to the gate at the airport. There's a few for sale locally on Gumtree which are much cheaper than hire charges at home and cheaper than the daily charges at the parks.

Can anyone who uses a wheelchair in the parks advise me if I want the one with the large wheels or the small wheels or does it not make any difference? My son wont be self propelling the chair at any point, I will be doing all the pushing!

Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 17, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
carolmc
Imagineer

The second one will be easier to negotiate around folks... and I say this as a wheelchair user but I do tend to bring my own self-propelling one.
Old 20 Apr 17, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by carolmc View Post
The second one will be easier to negotiate around folks... and I say this as a wheelchair user but I do tend to bring my own self-propelling one.
Thanks Carol, I thought the bigger wheels would be more comfortable for my son as I negotiate kerbs n bumps!
Old 20 Apr 17, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
MargaretMouse
VIP Dibber

My son is a,wheelchair user and def the second one. This will be much easier to get round the parks.
Old 20 Apr 17, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by MargaretMouse View Post
My son is a,wheelchair user and def the second one. This will be much easier to get round the parks.
Thanks Margaret, excuse my ignorance but when would it be a better option to use the smaller wheeled chair? I'm just trying to understand the difference in the 2 models!

Thanks
Old 21 Apr 17, 07:22 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Cockahoop View Post
Thanks Margaret, excuse my ignorance but when would it be a better option to use the smaller wheeled chair? I'm just trying to understand the difference in the 2 models!

Thanks
These are called transport chairs. I think they are more suitable for use in hospitals, nursing homes etc. I don't think they would be very good at going up big kerbs etc. My DD had one very briefly and absolutely hated not being able to wheel herself at all. Even if you plan on doing all the pushing, your son might want to be able to adjust his position at a table etc.
Old 21 Apr 17, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
My mum used the first one when it was loaned to her from the Red Cross when she broke her ankle. It was fine going in a straight line but a nightmare to negotiate around corners, kerbs etc . Sorry... don't want to sound ungrateful

By the time she had the metalwork out of her ankle I had bought the second type for my ms. Very rarely use it... mainly just at the airport, and it was sooo much easier to negotiate.

Definately go for the second one
JoJoBell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 17, 06:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Pluto76
Helping Minnie

Mobile

We've used similar to the first one a couple of times for DD with chronic fatigue, as I to be honest was just going with the cheapest off Amazon.
Is fine in shopping centres and flat surfaces but not for kerbs and uneven surfaces.
Just bought self propelled one - not that she will self propel and it is much sturdier and will be perfect for Disney.
So I'd definitely recommend the second one.
Pluto76 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 17, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Pluto76 View Post
We've used similar to the first one a couple of times for DD with chronic fatigue, as I to be honest was just going with the cheapest off Amazon.
Is fine in shopping centres and flat surfaces but not for kerbs and uneven surfaces.
Just bought self propelled one - not that she will self propel and it is much sturdier and will be perfect for Disney.
So I'd definitely recommend the second one.
Thanks for that Pluto, very helpful, Im going with the second one but the one in the pic is second hand on Gumtree but found a company selling new for same price so going with that.

Cheers
Old 22 Apr 17, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by JoJoBell View Post
My mum used the first one when it was loaned to her from the Red Cross when she broke her ankle. It was fine going in a straight line but a nightmare to negotiate around corners, kerbs etc . Sorry... don't want to sound ungrateful

By the time she had the metalwork out of her ankle I had bought the second type for my ms. Very rarely use it... mainly just at the airport, and it was sooo much easier to negotiate.

Definately go for the second one
Thank you Jojo Ive decided to buy the second one, seems much more appropriate for the parks,

Cheers