Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 23 Apr 17, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
baileyboo108
Gone all Goofy

Mobile Water parks with mobility issues/disability

Hi all, sorry for the long post but I'm just after anyone's experiences with this or similar please...

My DD (16) has a condition called CRPS which in a nutshell means she has chronic pain but no injury, in her case in her foot and lower leg. As the pain is long-term and constant she uses crutches to help minimise it as it's worse with weight-bearing. She's had it for almost 3 years now and as result of this awful condition she developed anxiety/low-mood and has had a terrible time dealing with everything.

So we are going back to Orlando this August - we've been 3 times before. This is a special trip after her GCSEs and tbh 3 pretty rubbish years for all of us: 10 nights at the Poly, 1 at AKL and 6 nights at HRH in Universal.

This is our first trip with her having CRPS. We had hoped it might have been in remission when we booked it, but hey-ho. It is part of her so we need to make the best of things.

We are taking a lightweight wheelchair as well as her crutches as otherwise long days in the parks will be unmanageable for her as she gets easily fatigued. She can walk/limp some steps without crutches but it's incredibly painful to do so (worse than labour-pains according to the experts) so usually it's just better for her to use the crutches which she's super-speedy on!

I've read up about the DAS card I think we can get for her - is that right?

However, she loves water parks and is usually on all the thrill rides! My question is about whether she can access them this year? For example she LOVES the family raft-ride at BB and I know there's a lift (apparently) but would she be allowed to do the ride? If so, would happen to the crutches/wheelchair?

I've looked online but can't find anything definitive. Is anyone able to share experiences of this sort of thing?

I just want her to have as good a time as possible - she deserves it. We know we need to make compromises from how we would normally do Florida, and obviously if water parks are a non-starter then we just won't go. Plenty of other things to do! I just know she would want to if she could, and it's also my DS's (13) holiday too, so don't want him to miss out if he doesn't need to. It might well be our last holiday here.

Anyhow, sorry for rambling. TIA.
baileyboo108 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 17, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post

I knew the ski lift at Blizzard Beach had a Gondola for wheel chairs so Googled it and found this, hope it helps

disneyworld.disney.go/pl...lizzard-beach/
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 17, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Im not sure you will get the DAS card as it is more for 'hidden disabilities' like Autism. With a wheelchair you will get a return ticket at the entrance to the attraction if it is not possible to use the standard queue( e.g. Big Thunder Mountain where you have to use the exit.) The return time is based on the queue time. As far the family raft ride at BB we did it years ago with my son who can't walk at all. I think we just left the wheelchair at the bottom. It's so long ago now I really can't remember. Not a lot of use to you I know.
Twiggy1953 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 17, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
hipthehippo
Imagineer

Hi - can't help with the answer, but just wanted to let you know that you're not alone with worrying for a child with chronic pain/anxiety/depression. DD has polyarthritis and we never know which joint/joints it will strike next - to all intents and purposes she looks fine except for when she can't walk or stand upright. Hope you manage to find the very best way to give her and you an amazing holiday.

Growing old is mandatory, but, growing up is optional
"Live a Life that Matters" - Michael Josephson - RIP Dad 20.07.05
2006, 2007 - Rolling Hills / 2008 - Villa - can't remember! / 2009, 2010 - Sunset Lakes / 2011 - Indian Creek / 2012 - Sunset Lakes / 2013 - Emerald Island / 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2023 - Sunset Lakes
hipthehippo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 17, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Twiggy1953 View Post
Im not sure you will get the DAS card as it is more for 'hidden disabilities' like Autism. With a wheelchair you will get a return ticket at the entrance to the attraction if it is not possible to use the standard queue( e.g. Big Thunder Mountain where you have to use the exit.) The return time is based on the queue time. As far the family raft ride at BB we did it years ago with my son who can't walk at all. I think we just left the wheelchair at the bottom. It's so long ago now I really can't remember. Not a lot of use to you I know.
I am pretty sure we have seen them strap a wheelchair into its own raft and send it down on the family raft ride!

Did you carry your son from the ski lift to the start of the ride? It isn't too far but won't work for most.

Just asked my DD. I wasn't imagining it!
Old 23 Apr 17, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
I am pretty sure we have seen them strap a wheelchair into its own raft and send it down on the family raft ride!

Did you carry your son from the ski lift to the start of the ride? It isn't too far but won't work for most.

Just asked my DD. I wasn't imagining it!
It's perfectly possible. I'm going back about 17/18 years - things could have changed since then. We gave up doing the water parks years ago. They're just wasn't enough for my son to go on. He's much better off splashing around in the villa pools.
Twiggy1953 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 17, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi. Have you been to the parks since your daughter's CRPS diagnosis? One of the reason I ask is that I'm wondering if the water will be a problem for her. I have CRPS in my leg and so know how the pain type and intensity etc can change from day to day or hour to hour, but water is often really painful for me. I can just about cope with the lazy rivers but water splashing against my knee is usually really painful and so the water slides etc are a no go for me unfortunately :-(

I know we are not all affected in the same ways, but just thought I'd throw that in just incase it's possibly gonna be a problem for her.

Regarding the DAS, I don't think people whose issue is mobility qualify for it, as the queues are mostly wheelchair accessible. I can't ride the thrill rides as I also have other health problems, but the rides that I could go on where all accessible to me either going through the queue completely on my mobility scooter, or transferring to a wheelchair where necessary, or walking if not too much.

Hope your daughter has a lovely time there
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List