Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Closed Thread

Old 21 May 16, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Hi Jakki

So we just got back (as you know) and despite Facebook posts to the contrary, I managed to eat pretty healthily overall, despite the DDP.

I subbed any carbs (fries, loaded baked potatoes) for extra veg, with no butter. I continued to eat steak, chicken, fish but avoided sauce and cheese. I had my usual breakfast (oats, almond milk, a little dried fruit = flavoured porridge) every day which set me off on the right foot.

I couldn't afford to overload myself with stuff my body isn't currently used to as the effect when running a half marathon is quite nasty. That was a good motivator Though I did spend the following three days refuelling (ahem )

However if I was not on DDP I think I would've just done a bit of shopping (probably not on the first night though) and had healthy snacks to hand, because I know I would not cook. My go to offsite choices then would include Longhorn's, Sweet Tomatoes etc where you can definitely make healthy choices.

It's a million times easier now than it used to be, if you are determined to do it.
Old 21 May 16, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
parkgirl
VIP Dibber

parkgirl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 14
Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
Its totally do-able.
Stick to asking for all sauces on the side, jacket potato or sweet potato instead of fries.
Diet drinks or water instead of full fat drinks or alcohol.
Buy some low fat yoghurts to eat and fruit during day.
Just wanted to comment that I love your villa!
CSR October 2011, POFQ May 2012, POP July 2012, SSR April 2013, OKW Oct 2014, OKW July 2016, All Stars Music April 2017, OKW/BLT July 2018, All Stars Sports Oct 2019, Riviera May 2022, GFR/AKL Oct 2022, Disney 5K Riviera/copper creek 2024, SSR Aug 2024
parkgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 16, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Barney Bear
Getting Excited

Sweet Tomatoes is just the best! You can imagine you're a celebrity with your own chef making all sorts of salad and doing all the boring preparation for you! We loved it and it's fresh flavours and tastes...and can't wait to get back there again this year! Sure it'll help with tasty meals out, without overloading on calories! 🤗
Barney Bear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 16, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Chrissie H
Very Serious Dibber

Chrissie H's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I think it is a case of remembering what you usually eat at home and use that as a basis for the choices you make. There are healthy options on most menus and with all the walking around the parks, I usually come home having lost weight.
Chrissie H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 16, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Normally, I weigh myself before I go, and due to the amount of walking you do around the parks I think the most I have put on is a pound, and I'm not reserved on my eating either, I think there are some more sensible options and sharing deserts is a good idea as they are huge especially the ice creams.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 16, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Caroian
Imagineer

I think the downfall for a lot of people is snacks. If you can avoid snacking and avoid calorific drinks you'll be absolutely fine. It is perfectly possible to make healthier choices at many on site restaurants, particularly TS restaurants. You can ask to substitute any elements you want with, say, a salad or extra veggies. They also offer kids "Mickey Check" meals, which are healthier choices. You can order these as an adult and they will usually do a slightly bigger portion if required. At QS locations kids meals can be a good option again as the often come without fries and with things like grapes or apple slices. The "fruit cup" is widely available too, although these almost all contain a lot of melon, so may not be great if you don't like melon (I can stand any types!)

Personally I wouldn't spend a lot of time making up meals. As you have a car, popping to Publix to get fruit, snacks and breakfast items seems sensible (we did the same - but had a 2 bed at OKW so a full kitchen). Making and carrying food (in the heat too) is not my idea of holiday fun. But everyone is different, and if you're not in the dining plan it will save you money too.

Our recent trip was 3 weeks on the DDP, and I put on no weight at all. I wasn't particularly careful - I enjoyed Dole whips, premium bars, funnel cake etc - but didn't actually eat that much due to the heat. We often had a late-ish buffet breakfast (plenty of healthy choices there) and then just a small snack until an early dinner.

Wanting to eat healthily is what matters because the choice is there when you look for it.
Caroian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 16, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Thanks for everyone who replied there's some good points, this will be the first trip that I've not said "sod the diet" while I'm away. The fact that it's only 10 days and a week later we're getting on the Magic for 12 nights means I don't want to undo all the good work so far.

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Hi Jakki
I subbed any carbs (fries, loaded baked potatoes) for extra veg, with no butter. I continued to eat steak, chicken, fish but avoided sauce and cheese. I had my usual breakfast (oats, almond milk, a little dried fruit = flavoured porridge) every day which set me off on the right foot...

... However if I was not on DDP I think I would've just done a bit of shopping (probably not on the first night though) and had healthy snacks to hand, because I know I would not cook. My go to offsite choices then would include Longhorn's, Sweet Tomatoes etc where you can definitely make healthy choices.

It's a million times easier now than it used to be, if you are determined to do it.
Lunch and dinner should be OK, my usual breakfast is oats with a diet yoghurt and fruit so that should be easy enough to stick to and for dinner Sweet Tomatoes & Longhorn are on the list along with Publix chicken one night. We'll probably have one treat night at Millers but Niamh and I will share a Zingers meal and as I'll be driving there will be no alcohol (so there's 1,000's of calories saved already )

Lunch is the biggest challenge as it would usually be a burger in the parks but we'll mainly be eating dinner in the Formosa Gardens area so will call into Target afterwards where we can pick up things like salads, sushi, fruit and snacks for the next day.

I'll report back on how I got on

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 16, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkjon
Imagineer

Tinkjon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 7
I eat and drink tons but, because of all the walking we do, I only put on about 4 or 5lbs usually. What makes the difference for me not drinking fizzy drinks with meals. One year I thought 'stuff it, I'm not having diet drinks', and I had Sprite with every meal and put on quite a lot of weight! Since then I've stuck to Diet Coke etc. and it's been fine. We also often skip a meal - we'll have a massive buffet breakfast and then just an evening meal, without lunch.
Tinkjon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 16, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Tinkjon View Post
I eat and drink tons but, because of all the walking we do, I only put on about 4 or 5lbs usually. What makes the difference for me not drinking fizzy drinks with meals. One year I thought 'stuff it, I'm not having diet drinks', and I had Sprite with every meal and put on quite a lot of weight! Since then I've stuck to Diet Coke etc. and it's been fine. We also often skip a meal - we'll have a massive buffet breakfast and then just an evening meal, without lunch.
Last time I went to the gym nearly every day, walked in the parks and even got sunstroke in the first week, which put me off food, and still put on 6 pounds. I wasn't drinking alcohol and only drink low-cal soft drinks, but I do love to eat.🙊
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 16, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Mia_
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Hi Jakki

So we just got back (as you know) and despite Facebook posts to the contrary, I managed to eat pretty healthily overall, despite the DDP.

I subbed any carbs (fries, loaded baked potatoes) for extra veg, with no butter. I continued to eat steak, chicken, fish but avoided sauce and cheese. I had my usual breakfast (oats, almond milk, a little dried fruit = flavoured porridge) every day which set me off on the right foot.

I couldn't afford to overload myself with stuff my body isn't currently used to as the effect when running a half marathon is quite nasty. That was a good motivator Though I did spend the following three days refuelling (ahem )

However if I was not on DDP I think I would've just done a bit of shopping (probably not on the first night though) and had healthy snacks to hand, because I know I would not cook. My go to offsite choices then would include Longhorn's, Sweet Tomatoes etc where you can definitely make healthy choices.

Where were your ADR's karen, I am really interested in staying on track too
Mia_ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread