Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Closed Thread

Old 22 May 16, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
grannyed
Very Serious Dibber

Cold/lukewarm food

Having read a recent 'highs and lows' thread where the poster mentioned that most of the food (both on and offsite in QS and in TS places) was only lukewarm I wonder how many others have experienced this.
Is it an American thing? Are they used to lukewarm food

When we were there in August we were behind a family in the Electric Umbrella place in Epcot. They had ordered fries and burgers but the till was having problems processing CCs. The cashier tried a couple of times and in the end Dad got out his walket and paid cash. It was obviously a till problem because they put up a sign saying "cash only due to tech problem"

This took some time and all the while their trays, with the food were sitting on the counter, obviously going cold.

The family then picked up the trays snd went off to eat. I think that I might have asked for fresh food.

DH will always ask for food to be replaced, especially fries. 😳 Much to my embarassment.
grannyed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 16, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
It can and does happen. I like really hot food, my Wife doesnt mind if its lukewarm
Any issues I send mine back. However if we are in a Signature restaurant and 1 of the meals is cold then they all go back - that raises some eyebrows I can assure you!

Never had a problem with food being changed. Only place we had a nightmare was on our 3rd (and last ever!) trip to Raglan Rd. Food went back as cold, came back out - cold!
Manager came over and said to me Americans have trouble delivering hot food!
He was Irish by the way not American. I told him he was talking ######## and we walked out - never to return.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 16, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

The only place we had properly hot food was at Universal Krusty Land, and bubba gumps. We were all going "wow - what tasty food" - and realised it was because it was actually hot.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 16, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Hmm... I can't say I've ever noticed this - maybe as in the parks you are so bloomin hot already especially in the summer. But even evening meals never had an issue... will pay close attention this summer though ahah
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 16, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post

I can't say I've noticed this. Overcooked sometimes, especially steaks, but you get that in the UK too.
Old 22 May 16, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Mjordan
Very Serious Dibber

I have never had this issue personally.

I even remember ordering a pizza and Caesar salad in a Disney park, and having to wait to eat the pizza slice because it was so hot.

If my food was cold, obviously I would say something, and I haven't had to
Mjordan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 16, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
fiona3103
Imagineer

fiona3103's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I thought it was just us who are frustrated by this. It's a real bug bear as it seems every where you go food comes out just hot enough to eat. No good if you like to chat over a meal.
fiona3103 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 16, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Sweetie Babes
VIP Dibber

Sweetie Babes's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 32

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Oh yes! Every single, flaming time! I do NOT like lukewarm food.

CS can be hot or it can be nearly cold - a lot depends on how busy they are and therefore how long a particular meal's 'hot' component has been sitting. For example, burgers are usually lukewarm. However one time we had a problem at Electric Umbrella in that we finally found a table but people had taken all the chairs away. A CM who was emptying the bins came over and helped us find 3 chairs, and then took our tray of now cold food back and brought us back fresh. For the first time we had HOT burgers and chips where we had juices dripping out of the burgers as we ate.

I've had many TS meals where the food was lukewarm at best. I think a lot of the problem is that the aircon is usually jacked up so high the food doesn't stand a chance of getting to you hot. I also suspect that places like Garden Grill where they bring you out a platter the meat has been cooked and sliced and then laid out on a platter in advance. Certainly the only hot thing on our platter was the sweet potato chips.

Talking about Raglan Road, I'll never eat there again. I ordered a steak which was so overcooked I could barely cut it, let alone chew it. I'd just tipped my chips onto the plate, so when he took the plate away he took all my chips, too. And then left me with nothing to eat. I had assumed they were going to bring me a fresh steak so when he asked if he could get me anything else while I was waiting I said no. By the time he realised his mistake I'd gone beyond hungry and I ordered the citrus salmon salad. The salad was full of bitter greens and raw onion, and let me tell you, orange on salmon does NOT work! When DD and I ordered dessert, I had the pear frangipan - which was served cold - I told him it should be served hot. DD had the lemon meringue and the meringue was literally raw. I don't know why I left a tip tbh ... hardly ate anything!
Nov03: 14nts Travelodge/ Feb05: 10nts HI Sunspree/ Aug06: 10nts HI Sunspree/ Apr08: 10nts villa White Oak Circle/ Feb11: 14nts condo Sweetwater Circle/ Feb12: 10nts condo Sweetwater/ Feb13: 10nts condo Sweetwater/ Feb14: 7nts CBR/ Mar15: 14nts AoA/ Nov15: 7nts OKW(DVC)/ Aug16: 2nts BLT/ 6nts AKL/ Sep17: 8nts OKW/3nts BLT/ Sep18: 1nt GFV/9nts OKW/ Feb19: 5nts POR/3nts GFV/ Feb20: 8nts AKL/ Apr22: 3nts OKW/8nts GFV / May23: 9nts BLT / Apr24: 14nts villa Seasons Blvd
Sweetie Babes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 16, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post

OP, I really dislike lukewarm food as well - but I think this is a theme park/attraction thing more than an American thing.

I've gotten cold food at Wembley and LEGOLAND, etc...too.

We were in Washington, DC last month. The day we had picked to go to the National Zoo (baby panda!) was cold and snowy. There were no crowds (yay!) - but the restaurants had lots of pre-made burger/chips baskets just sitting under heat lamps going cold and soggy (with nobody to eat them).

So I walked up to the counter and said, "Is there anything that you'd have to cook fresh so that it's nice and hot for me?"

The attendant was happy enough to tell me they didn't have any chicken ready, so I had that. It was lovely.

At the American History Museum, everything was laid out under heat lamps (getting cold), and I just said, "Oh, dear - I'd prefer something hot. Can you cook one fresh for me?" She did, rolling her eyes at me. I didn't care, because my meal was hot.

FWIW, she knew I could see her making our meal - not sure if I would try this if the food was out of my line of sight.
Old 22 May 16, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
cybermum
Imagineer

cybermum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Experienced it a few times with CS meals but not elsewhere. I like my food really hot but hubby doesn't mind. He is Italian and my in laws and in general they like their food lukewarm. I have had lots more lukewarm meals there in Italy than the US though
cybermum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread