Notices
Weddings and Honeymoons DIBBers wedding and honeymoon planning and chat.

Old 9 Dec 15, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Yorkie Girl
Imagineer

Yorkie Girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
Helen and Andy's UK wedding - October 2016

Hello, and welcome to my Wedding and Honeymoon report. This actually feels crazy to be writing this as it still doesn’t feel real to be planning our wedding!

Introductions
First up is myself. I’m Helen and I’m currently 31 and I live in Leeds.

I work for a local university, which leads me to my wonderful fiancé, Andy.

Andy is 35 and also lives in Leeds. He also works for the same local university, but we work in completely separate departments and even separate campuses. However; we have always worked together and we actually met at work in our previous jobs about ten years ago. It was my first full time job after uni and on my second day I got talking to this man outside work and fancied him straight away but it was coming up to Christmas and he said he was taking the afternoon off work to get the kids their Christmas presents so I assumed he was happily married and tried not to think about him again. Our work was quite sociable so we ended up going out as a large group and I got chatting to him and found out that he was actually single so we spent about a month of harmless flirting when one day on the stairs he asked me what I was up to that evening. I said that I had no plans and he said that if he had any money then he’d have taken me out. The next week was pay day so when I bumped into him again I asked him if he was now going to take me out. So we arranged to meet after work that day for a drink. Well one drink turned into quite a few and he ended up getting me a taxi at about midnight after a cheeky first kiss. He text me the next day and we had a bit of a conversation and then saw each other at work on Monday, and on the Friday I managed to invite myself on a night out with him and his brother (to a rugby match) and met his Mum too.. and so it began

Us back in 2008

Us back in 2014

We moved in together 10 months after we first started going out into our first rented house and bought our first home together a year later. In February we celebrated our ninth anniversary and had discussed marriage in the past but Andy had always said “if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it” (which he had his reasons for and I respected this) so I always assumed that we wouldn’t get married.

The Proposal
In May 2015 my parents invited us to go to New York with them to celebrate my Dad’s 60th birthday. On our first full day there me and Andy spent the day on our own and walked through Times Square and back up to Central Park. We ended up getting quite lost in the park and I was tempted to just leave and go find a bar for a drink, when Andy suggested that we go and sit down under a quiet tree and watch the world go by. We were sat down having a nice chat when Andy asked me if I thought that visiting New York was life changing. Now, I’m not the best with catching hints so at this point I told him that it wasn’t because I’d already been when I was younger (it seemed like a weird question to ask). He then asked me if I would like to make it life changing and reached into his pocket and produced the most gorgeous ring I have ever seen (I know I’m biased but I am still so in love with my ring). At this point I covered my eyes with my hands and I couldn’t believe that this was happening. He then got ‘up’ onto one knee and asked me if I would be his wife. I replied with “of course” and I then held out my hand for him to put the ring on. He later told me that he’d been practicing for ages which finger the ring went on, but had then forgotten in the moment. I love this man. Anyway, we spent the rest of our holiday in New York in a bubble of bliss and I couldn’t believe that we were finally going to be married.

(our tree)

He said that he had been thinking of getting married for a couple of years but was always worried about doing it right and wanting to be able to afford the wedding that he believed I deserved, so when he got a promotion at work he was finally able to pick out a nice ring for me and know that we could afford the actual wedding.

Wedding Plans
We discussed what we were going to do about the wedding and we both decided that we wanted to be married sooner rather than later, but we also knew where we would want to go on honeymoon (go on, take a guess) so wanted to take into account the time of year when we liked to visit. Plus, we both work for a university and have very busy summers so wanted to avoid the summer months, so it would be either April/May or October/November time. I’m currently studying part time for an Open Uni degree, which will finally end in June 2016 so we decided that we should wait until after then. We then realised that we wanted to be able to go on Honeymoon when it was warmer so decided to get married in October. We didn’t want early October because that’s the end of the rugby season for us so we identified Saturday 15th October 2016 as the perfect day.

We are on a bit of a budget because we had only moved house last year and had to pay out quite a bit due to negative equity on our old house, so I did quite a bit of research into different venues for our wedding and created a spread sheet that shows all the pros and cons for each venue (also, we ruled out an Orlando wedding due to Andy having such a large family who he wanted to be at the wedding – I don’t have any extended family so I could have easily got married abroad, but I understand how important his family are to him (and to me) so I get why he had strong views on this). As big as Leeds is, there weren’t many venues that ticked the boxes for me (the nicest ones were just too expensive for us) so we started looking further afield and I remembered that a couple of years ago me and my Mum had visited a spa at a hotel in Knaresborough, which is a small town near Harrogate in North Yorkshire and they had been advertising a wedding fair, so I looked them up online and really liked the wedding brochure. I also liked the idea of getting married in Knaresborough because it’s a beautiful town and I could imagine going back for our anniversaries etc. so I priced it up and it came in well under budget. We booked to go and see them the next weekend and although we’d already been to see a couple of other venues that we had liked, there was just something different about this one. It very much felt like us because it’s a smaller venue and felt quite intimate (without being too small for our friends and family).

So, we put down a deposit for it and got in touch with North Yorkshire Registrar Office. We had thought about what time we wanted to get married and really wanted 12noon because we thought this would give people time to get to the venue and also not leave a huge gap between the wedding breakfast and the evening do. The Registrar was only available at 12 or 4pm, which meant that we were lucky that they had our desired time. We are booked to give our Notice of Marriage this Friday, so it’s all starting to feel very real!
Yorkie Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 15, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
SmilingSammie
VIP Dibber

Sounds amazing!
Can't wait to hear about all your upcoming plans and milestones!

My First Ever Pre-Trip Report - Sept 2015
My 2nd Pre-Trip Report! - Sept 2016
My Orlando 2019 Trip Report
My Orlando Feb 2022 Trip Report
DLP - May 2013, May 2018
Florida - 1998, 2000, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SmilingSammie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 15, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post

So exciting! I know I've said this to you before but I work in accommodation and we had the exact same discussion of Spring or Autumn due to summer turnaround, we're getting married in June and going on honeymoon in October as I don't think I could actually cope with the come down of going straight back to work into the summer madness! It's nice to know it's not just me haha!

Can't wait to hear all about your plans! You have a lovely story, the proposal sounds amazing! Your venue is beautiful too!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 15, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
DLS1005
Imagineer

DLS1005's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Looking forward to keeping up with your plans Your proposal was lovely! xx

*2013 - Villa, Seasons Blvd**2011- Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando**2009 - VIlla, Seasons Blvd**2003 - Best Western(The Econolodge Inn)**1999 - MIC Lakefront**1998 - Movieland Hotel*
DLS1005 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 15, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Yorkie Girl
Imagineer

Yorkie Girl's Reviews
Originally Posted by SmilingSammie View Post
Sounds amazing!
Can't wait to hear about all your upcoming plans and milestones!
Thank you x I can't wait to share some more of my plans (I've got a couple more updates to write up)

Originally Posted by Mermaids View Post
So exciting! I know I've said this to you before but I work in accommodation and we had the exact same discussion of Spring or Autumn due to summer turnaround, we're getting married in June and going on honeymoon in October as I don't think I could actually cope with the come down of going straight back to work into the summer madness! It's nice to know it's not just me haha!

Can't wait to hear all about your plans! You have a lovely story, the proposal sounds amazing! Your venue is beautiful too!
Thanks, my work colleagues thought I was crazy to even consider work when I was planning my wedding, but I knew I didn't want to even think about it. I just hope that I have everything in place before the summer so that I'm not panicking last minute in August and September

Originally Posted by DLS1005 View Post
Looking forward to keeping up with your plans Your proposal was lovely! xx
Thanks x maybe we could persuade you to share some plans of your own hehe
Yorkie Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 15, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
DLS1005
Imagineer

DLS1005's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

[QUOTE Thanks x maybe we could persuade you to share some plans of your own hehe[/QUOTE]

I must admit I've been tempted to! 🙊 Xx

*2013 - Villa, Seasons Blvd**2011- Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando**2009 - VIlla, Seasons Blvd**2003 - Best Western(The Econolodge Inn)**1999 - MIC Lakefront**1998 - Movieland Hotel*
DLS1005 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 15, 02:34 AM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Oooh, sounds fab and what a lovely proposal!

I too work in a University so the summer madness and leave ban had to be considered and we got married on 13th October.

Looking forward to reading more plans 😄
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 15, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Yorkie Girl
Imagineer

Yorkie Girl's Reviews
Originally Posted by DLS1005 View Post
[QUOTE Thanks x maybe we could persuade you to share some plans of your own hehe
I must admit I've been tempted to! 🙊 Xx[/QUOTE]

haha, yeah you should!

Originally Posted by margyloveswdw View Post
Oooh, sounds fab and what a lovely proposal!

I too work in a University so the summer madness and leave ban had to be considered and we got married on 13th October.

Looking forward to reading more plans 😄
Thank you x
Glad it's not just us that are choosing our wedding date around when it's quietest at work (although that may be tomorrow with the way it's going )
Old 22 Dec 15, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Yorkie Girl
Imagineer

Yorkie Girl's Reviews
I've not got another update ready just yet, but just wanted to add that we gave our notice of marriage last week, so it's now official WE CAN GET MARRIED! We got a little booklet through the post this week with our options for choosing our vows etc. and also what music we are choosing. This is something that I still haven't 100% made my mind up about yet, so I'm hanging on until the new year to make my final decision
Old 7 Jan 16, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
DiddyDan
Excited about Disney

What a lovely proposal?! And so nice that you weren't expecting it at all!

Your wedding venue looks gorgeous! Can't wait to read more x

With parents 00,01,04,07,12,13-With Dave! Xmas 08 Villa/09 Vegas-LA-San Fran/10 NY-Orlando KV, VB, RP & BLT/11 Vegas/12 LA & Disney Cali/14 DLP/15 Orlando Wedding/16 Orlando Poly & SSR & Vegas/17 Orlando BLT & SSR/17 DLP/18 Orlando
DiddyDan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List