Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 23 Apr 06, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Wheelchair in hire car?

Looking at car hire it seems a bit of a waste this time (as we are staying entirely onsite) to have our usual 7 seater minivan. We will only actually use it for to/from the airport and a few odd days at other parks. I am wondering if I can save a few $$$ by having a smaller car, but we need to transport 2 adults, 2 teens, our luggage (2 medium suitcases, 2 holdalls plus hand luggage) and a folding wheelchair on the airport runs. I'm not sure if we can fit all that into anything smaller than a minivan. Has anyone carried a folding wheelchair in a smaller car?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 06, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
sueandco
Imagineer

sueandco's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
From our experience you will need a seven seater to fit that as the trunks tend to be smaller. Whilst there may be 'bigger' hire cars our friends had a luxury car last time and with their folding wheelchair in it only took one or two pieces of hand luggage. They were ok as there were only two of them and they had the back seat but for you that would be impractical. We have never taken the risk and have an eight seater for five of us with wheelchair and whilst we bounce around a bit during the holiday we are fine for the airport runs.
Old 24 Apr 06, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Hi Lynn

Would it be practical for 2 of your party to have transfers then you would be able to manage with a smaller car for the airport runs.

We have always had a 7/8 seater as we use it all the time even with staying on site. I don't think we will use ours as much the first week this time as we hope to make use of the monorail to Epcot and walk from Contemporary to MK.

Caron
Old 5 May 06, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post

It is surprising how much room a wheelchair takes, i think you would definitely struggle with a car. I think a van would be your best option, we always get an 8 seater for 7 of us and a wheelchair. It needs to be one with extra space in the back however or it just won't fit!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 06, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread