Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 6 Jun 06, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post

Dyslexia advice.

I've noticed from some posts that some of you have some experience with children who are dyslexic. My ds 9 was diagnosed with moderate dyslexia last year but although I can really see an improvement in his literacy problems he now seems to be having problems in other areas. He is totally disorganised, untidy, forgetful, even in simple things like cleaning his teeth, needs constantly reminded maybe 2 or 3 times . Also he goes upstairs for something and invariably forgets what he went up there for either that or comes down with something completly different. Telling the time is also hard for him when it didnt used to be. He is doing great in school and his confidence has hugely improved and we even laugh together about his "dopey" moments but I'm not sure which to attribute to dyslexia and which to himself.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 06, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
simmofamily
Imagineer

Don't worry everything you are saying is normal for all boys
Forgetfullness, untidiness, not doing anything ets
My DS13 has moderate dysexia and has only just learnt to tell the time so that is definately not an issue. He also has trouble with speling especially I find with the more 'simple' words if you know what I mean. His reading has come on a lot but he makes words up if he can't read them but bear in mind he was diagnosed at infants so has had extra help since then.
He is not as forgetful as my DS16 who constantly forgets things and has not got dyslexia. So much so that we now have to right a list when he leaves the house to make sure he remembers things and he's predicted 8+ gcse'sgrade C and above at the moment. So don't worry he is a man after all
Old 6 Jun 06, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post

My DH was diagnosed with Dyslexia at 15 (the school just thought he didnt care until it was too late)
He is far from Thick or stupid as some people think when they hear him read or see his writing.
And he is very forgetful and untidy but we also laugh at his dopey moments.
It has not impacted his life in a big way as he works for his dad in car sales, but if he had of had to apply for a job with other companies we have both said he probably would struggle to get the job in the line of work he is in solely on his writing and form filling in etc.
My DH finds that if he keeps his mind active with little things like crosswords and reading also typing on pc it sort of helps.
Hope you get the help you can through school etc and they dont just fob you off like they did with my DH.
Old 6 Jun 06, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Hiya - my DS Ben was diagnosed with dyslexia aged 7 - he also has dyspraxia, and I can relate totally to the disorganised and forgetful discription. Dyslexic/dyspraxic kids often have problems in these areas - also with concentration and expressing themselves clearly too.

We give Ben Eye Q, available from Boots, etc - its a blend of fish oils and evening primrose, and it definately has boosted his concentration, and well worth trying if you havent already. Ben has short term auditory memory problems - the going upstairs for something and forgetting what he has gone for is a regular event Ask him to do something and two minutes later he is asking "what did you say for me to do Mum?" - its frustrating - for him and us - we find if we keep instructions very brief and clear and make requests in stages, it helps. The puzzles, etc are also a great idea - this will help improve concentration and focus. With Ben we have a fairly rigid routine for getting up, washed and dressed - we got picture cards, which he looked at first thing every morning, and which reminded him of what he had to do - that and sticking to things like making sure his clothes were in the same place, etc helped to make the routine almost automatic. The untidiness was another bug bear - but, I realised that he couldn't help it - so rather than get stressed, we put a large bin in his room - the deal was that it didn't matter if he couldn't straighten his room out - everything strewn - toys, books, etc, could just be dumped in the bin, and I would sort it out - that way, the room looked reasonably tidy, I didn't get stressed at walking into chaos and he had at least some responsibility, even if it was just putting the stuff in the bin

Dyslexic kids sometimes have a condition called Irlens syndrome - contrasts (such as black on white) and things like flourescent lights can play havoc with their concentration, and can even lead to problems with frustration and moodiness and behviour - tinted lens can make a big difference too, so its worth getting this checked out

Hope this helps

Love Suexx
Old 7 Jun 06, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks so much for your advice. We're already using fish oils'don't know if I see any improvement but I will stick with it. The bin in the bed room sounds like a good idea, if only for my stress levels. With 5 kids I seem to always be rushing but with reuben I guess I will just have to allow him more time. He comes home from school like a bear every day, do you find this? I think it must be the stress of having to concentrate so hard. We just have to give him a while to chill out before mentioning the dreaded homework! He isn't getting any formal help at school (no funding) but I have a few books and try to work with him , also his teacher is fab and does everything he can to help. thanks again for your help
Old 7 Jun 06, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post

100% agree on the having to have time out when he gets home from school - there is no way on this planet than Ben can cope without some time to just chill!

I would honestly push for some help in school - no funding is no excuse, if he needs some support - I'm afraid that you have to do a lot of shouting sometimes to access help which is an entitlement, not an extra

With the fish oils, for the first few weeks its advisable to give the maximum dose, gradually weaning down to the minimum - it took about 3 months for it to kick in with Ben - but now, we can tell if he has missed a dose!

The other thing is that the WHA advise that all children, but particularly those who have difficulties that fall within the spectrum that includes dyslexia, are allowed to have a dink available at all times - Bens school now allow all the kids to bring in sports bottles and have water fountains available for them - its apparently been proven to really help concentration for all kids, but especially those with this type of difficulty

If you have any queries, or worries, please feel free to PM if you think I can help... there is so little info available for kids with this type of dissability, even now when it is much more widely recognised

Love Suexx
Old 7 Jun 06, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
missmouse
Very Serious Dibber

Sue is absolutely right when she says you should push for more help at school. This may not necessarily be in the form of a teaching assistant but resources for him to use at school, such as coloured wallets to help with his reading, or maybe a reading programme such as Lexia (p.c programe) and Units of Sound.

I would also bear in mind that when he is due to take his SATS, that you speak to the SENCO at his school and request that he is given extra time(this relates to 25%) to sit his tests.
I-Drive 2001, I-Drive & Clearwater 2003, I-Drive 2004, I-Drive 2006, ASMO Chrimbo 2006, Vista Cay 2008, POR Aug 2010 DLP Aug 2012 Rosen Plaza IDrive 2013, Sandpearl Clearwater Beach, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld 2015, I-Drive 2016
missmouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 06, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post

I can totally relate to forgetting things. I have had server dyslexia and I tend to forget things as soon as Im told things. It drives my mama nuts - she thinks its just me being lazy. Everyone else has given you loads of advice so I will give you a small tip - post it notes are amazing, I write down what my mama asks me what to do like the washing on cotton 40 spin cycle. If I write it down Im more likely to remember even if I dont look at the post-it, and if I do forget then thats what the post-it is for.
Old 8 Jun 06, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks again you all. on the point of the post its, we have a pinboard just for reuben, I put notes about school stuff on it and other things he needs to remember. This has really worked and I notice him using it more and more. with regard to school help, he is scheduled to see educational psychologist again beginning of new school year. This is becayse they were reluctant to statement him when diagnosed as he was beginning to show improvement, this of course because suspecting the problem I was already putting in a lot of work with him. If the report this year shows more difficulty keeping up with peers then the situation will be reviewed. The way I see it reuben is improving but compare his reading and spelling with any of his year group and he is miles behind. he goes to a small school (50 pupils) and so with composite classes he can read with the year group behind him which he can cope with but when he goes to secondary school this choice will be gone and I dread to think what will happen then.
Old 8 Jun 06, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread