Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 6 Jul 06, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Nordicpollan
Excited about Disney

Fed up with Social Services

DS2 was supposed to finish school in 2 weeks. Social Services have had 2 years to get this Care package in place. Both Social worker and OT have been working really hard to acheive this but as Stu has " such complex care needs" no care package has been agreed! It does need for health to pay their share as well as SS and this seems to be the stumbing point. Years ago Stu used to go to resipte and was only allowed to use the days when fully qualified staff were on duty, and this was funded by health, however now he is 18 (19 on 18th July) health say its not their pot of money that will be shared! So, today, this same committee has agreed to fund Stu for another term at school with health paying their share and to give Stu summer holiday cover to attend holiday club all paid for by health

So why will they fund this but not fund his care for him to leave school?

After all these years nothing SS and health does should surprise me but they still manage it on a regular basis.

Karen
Nordicpollan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 06, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post

I do sympathise, the workings of health service and social services budgets are a complete mystery. Like you say it is all to do with which pot of money you use. If your DS wants to leave school, surely that is his right to choose and his care needs still need to be met.

These things always have to be such a struggle and take so long, I can understand why you are fed up, hope it works out so you and your DS are happy with what is being provided.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 06, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Nordicpollan
Excited about Disney

We don't mind Stu staying at school, as he gets wonderful care and has a great phsyio. That is the biggy for when he leaves at the moment he has 3 one and a half hour sessions a week plus a hydrosession, health have said once he is at home he will get 20 mins a week plus 1 hyrdro session a fortnight in a pool that is a 45 minute drive away!
But by paying for him to do the extra term at school they have recognised that he needs this leave of care and physio. And the sad thing is as he gets older his needs will get greater.

Now just consentrating on getting all his bits together for our holiday

Karen
Nordicpollan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 06, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
kevbrydon
VIP Dibber

kevbrydon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
HI, we deal wth SS all the time being Foster Carers... and Yes , it is always about MONEY! your SW needs to be strong and forthwright and demanding to make a case for things...then when it is agreed..they have to find the money...not if or why...get the SW to make a case for things and once it has been agreed..the money will be FOUND...it is always there..just need to decide if your son has a case...keep on at the SW..its her JOB...

Good Luck

Kev
kevbrydon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 06, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
keith&carol
Imagineer

keith&carol's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Hi again Karen, I've just put a reply to your ILF thread.
Now your son is finishing school the care package does have to change. The young girl we had fostered since she was a baby was left high and dry at 18 and it took a solicitor, a barrister and eventually the National Press to get anything done. Social Services had to accept responsibility but then all they offered was to pay for a Day Centre (not of her choice) and Transport there and back. We had to wade through the benefits system ourselves and it took years to get sorted then when we moved house we had to go through it all again because it was a different Unitary Authority. I know it sounds depressing and I really feel for you but that is the reality. Shout , shout and shout again to get what you need.
For me the most alarming thing was that all medical services cease at 18 as well and no-one tells you this. We had to go back to our G.P. to get referred again to all the services she had accessed before and some of them refused to see her as an adult. It's horrifying but that's how the system is set up now.
I really hope you can get things sorted for your son but it's not going to be smooth or easy as we found from bitter experience.
Good Luck!
Carol x
keith&carol is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 06, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Nordicpollan
Excited about Disney

I thought we had got to the point where SS / Health could not shock me any more but they have managed to.

Have now decided to write to the Head Exeutive of both SS and Health.

The most annoying thing is I know both Stus social worker and OT have worked really hard to get the care plan up and running. They have reort written by everyone invovled in Stu care, from his houseparent ata school to ever single consultant he sees which at last count was 5. The problem lies as much with health as SS. They are quite happy to pay for nursing cover for him to attend a holiday club, and more for a term at school but when it comes dowm to him being at home full time they won't achknowledge(sp!)
their resonsibility, which I find very odd.

Stu definetley has a case for "continuing care", but I think Health think we will back down and give up

No such luck if any thing now we have become more determined. It took us 2 years and a long hard fight with the LEA to get into the school he is at now so it looks like I shall have to find my fight spirit, dust it off and get ready to bare my teeth to them

Thank for all the support

Karen
Old 7 Jul 06, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread