Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 4 Nov 19, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

As an American, I think we value effiiciency and quickness a great deal and services are often focused on that. I have also run into some pretty long lines at Disney hotels and appreciate more getting things done than a smile or sticker. I have had occasions where I just want the CM to focus on my check in and not anyone or anything else get the slow CM. I don't think Disney (or Hilton or Marriot or any other hotel) and make everyone happy.

My children are long grown but I always though the waiting areas for kids were there to help with the above.

I understand pixie dust is nice and so many people go to WDW with the hope of something extra. I love CSR but also understand it is a convention hotel and for a lot of the guuests, just efficient service is enough.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
As an American, I think we value effiiciency and quickness a great deal and services are often focused on that. I have also run into some pretty long lines at Disney hotels and appreciate more getting things done than a smile or sticker. I have had occasions where I just want the CM to focus on my check in and not anyone or anything else get the slow CM. I don't think Disney (or Hilton or Marriot or any other hotel) and make everyone happy.

My children are long grown but I always though the waiting areas for kids were there to help with the above.

I understand pixie dust is nice and so many people go to WDW with the hope of something extra. I love CSR but also understand it is a convention hotel and for a lot of the guuests, just efficient service is enough.
I have to admit that on the one occasion we stayed at CSR, the line at check-in was indeed very long. But I genuinely don't think that can be attributed to a cast member offering a smile or a kind word to a guest checking in. The truth is there just weren't enough cast members at check-in. After what seemed like a very long time, a couple of extra cast members emerged with some iPads and cut through that line much quicker.

Finally, I think efficient service is expected as a given at WDW, but no one is visiting Disney for efficiency are they? Magic is very much what Disney are in the business of selling and that is what they should provide. I think for most guests 'just efficient service' is nowhere near enough.
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Perhaps it's cultural but when I check in, I just want to get checked in, get my room and key and be done with it-especially if there are others waiting in line. I am personally pretty impatient when it comes to standing in line (I have a health issue that makes a long stand difficult). I don't want to wait while the CM says hello to everyone-especially the children who have nothing to do with checking in.

I love CSR and have stayed several times. I remember lots about it but not one check in. That's fine with me.

I know people think of "Disney Magic" but I also hope people understand staff have jobs to do and that conversation with your 7 year old could be at the expense of the others waiting to check in.

ETA: I no longer have young ones but when I did Disney resorts had a place to occupy children while you check in-Disney movies and some crayons and pictures to color.
I don’t know what your culture is, I am a no nonsense northerner and when I check in, I want to check in as efficiently as possible and am not interested in small talk from the receptionist. More to the point, if I am standing in a long queue it is irritating to see receptionists not being efficient with guests ahead of me. DH and I always lament why we take a mere fraction of the time of anyone in a flight or hotel check in queue. I would not be happy if a receptionist was pointlessly nattering to a seven year old, leaving a queue of dozens of people, that have possibly just got off a long flight or long drive waiting.

I recently had a long queue to check into CBR, there were people that were oblivious to everyone else standing in line as they stayed there and asked every question under the sun. It came to my turn and as usual I was checked in within ninety seconds. It took so long for everybody else, which I painfully had to watch that I honestly thought even I would take a long time at this place. Nope, I am easy to process as ever.

I am bewildered as to what “Disney magic” I ought to be looking for at check in! Should they be upgrading every single guest to a corner suite at Grand Floridian.

I have commented upon check in experiences in wider hotel reviews, but it is definitely not something I would ever let cloud a stay.

Edited at 09:11 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

im with Lily8 here!
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 12:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Fefster
Excited about Disney

I don’t want a fuss at check-in but neither do I expect to be given a map scribbled all over in black marker and have absolutely no clue where to go or what to do.
The woman couldn’t wait to be rid of us and she could see our confusion.
Anyway, would go back in a heartbeat, amazing resort, just staff lacking care for me.
Fefster is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

Claudette,

I suspect you know your order at a QS restaurant before you get to the till, too. I am American, from New England. I know we like to move quickly in a no nonsense way-mpre so than other parts of this country.

It seems like the OP has different expectations. I know that people from other countries can be put off in US restaurants when meals are served quickly and checks ar brought out as the meal winds up.

I love the CSR and have never had bad service but I also like that the service is efficient overall. It is a convention hotel and I think a little less child friendly than some of the other WDW hotels, but that is one of the things I like about it. Evenwhen my kids were young, they didn't need "child friendly."
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 02:03 AM  
Link to this Post

Claudette,

I suspect you know your order at a QS restaurant before you get to the till, too. I am American, from New England. I know we like to move quickly in a no nonsense way-mpre so than other parts of this country.

It seems like the OP has different expectations. I know that people from other countries can be put off in US restaurants when meals are served quickly and checks ar brought out as the meal winds up.

I love the CSR and have never had bad service but I also like that the service is efficient overall. It is a convention hotel and I think a little less child friendly than some of the other WDW hotels, but that is one of the things I like about it. Evenwhen my kids were young, they didn't need "child friendly."
I most definitely would know what I want to order to eat before I join a QS queue, I would stay out of the queue until I know. I don’t mind the US bringing bills out early, although I don’t like the more upscale meals to be rushed.

Lily, nobody picks their holiday destination on the back of a reputation for efficiency, I don’t think many people will say “let’s go to Disney they are very efficient at check in”. . That does not mean one does not appreciate an efficient and fast check in.

I have had my maps annotated very helpfully, highlighting where I am staying, main reception and bus stops.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 06:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Chocolate
Earning More Ears

Mobile

I wasn't expecting to be upgraded but been a Disney hotel I expected the lady checking us in to have a bit of disney about her. Upbeat, chirpy possibly child friendly.
We have been in orlando now 17 days been to all the parks and I have to say I find the older cast mates to have that disney sparkle about them. I find some of the younger ones not so much.
We are having a great holiday and no I won't be letting checking ruin our last few days.
Chocolate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 19, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

Chocolate,

My view is that lots of WDW jobs are routine and monotonous. I know lots of young CMs are in the college program and I cannot imagine going for an internship and finding out I am sweeping streets.

While some CMs may be looking for a job in the theater or entertainment, I think many just do it as a job (and the pay is quite low).

Cheerful and chirpy is nice but I think lots of people expect too much at WDW. Have a great vacation but remember you are on holiday, the CMs are not. While rude is not acceptable, I have in many, many visits only encountered one rude CM.