Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Jan 20, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Simba and nala
Trying for More Ears

Taking the kids out in school time?

How do you guys approach this with the school?
Simba and nala is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Charlie30
Getting Excited

We asked for a holiday form, filled it in and it came back unauthorised. We still went but didnt get fined as it was infants/juniors. (varies depending on the school if they fine)

We knew it wouldn't be authorised but it informed the school that they would be missing for those days.

I'm now searching for August as I can't justify in my own head them missing days of Senior school. Plus I know we would be fined.
Old 6 Jan 20, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
I think this depends on the school.

I work in a school and parents request a holiday form from us and submit it. Our Head then looks at the circumstances listed on the request form, as well as the child’s attendance, before considering whether to approve it or not.

I know that some local schools though decline requests automatically and issue fines for those that choose to take the holiday anyway.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Ivegottadream
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Our school (high school) don't authorise any. We got s letter saying the absence would be reported to the la and it was up to them if we got fined, that the school doesn't benefit financially from us being fined the Local Authority do.
We got fined but £120 for an extra week in May.
Ivegottadream is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We took our 2 out in October for 5 days, they go to different high schools and I e-mailed both schools a letter setting out the dates and why we were taking them out. We got letters when we landed back home and one school authorised 3 of the 5 days, the other didn't authorised any, but no fine was issued.

Best thing to do when contacting the school is to be open and honest with your reasons why you're taking them out. That way the kids can't be caught out when asked questions and I don't think it's fair to make kids play along with the fib.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
The OP doesn't state why they are taking their child out of school. It might not be for a holiday.

As the others have said, we contacted the school and asked if DD can take time off from school and stated the reason. Sometimes it is authorised (such as when DD has taken part in national sports competitions or gone to visit Universities) and sometimes it is unauthorised (such as for standard holidays). Sometimes it also depends on the time of year that you'll looking to take time off. At DD's primary school they were happy for her to have a week off in October but not happy for her to have a day off in May near assessment time. It will depend on the school and their policy.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

My ds is in y2 and he will be missing four days next May. It is after his stats and just before they break up.
We just get a form from the school office, notification of future absence and state the reason for his absence.
As ours is for holiday it will just go down as unauthorised.
For a holiday I would only ever do it at the end of term, ds is not behind with anything and has 100% attendance so far.

Edited at 06:30 PM.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Simba and nala View Post
How do you guys approach this with the school?
I work in a school, which looks at attendance over the previous school year, if it is at the target of 97% then it is authorised, if below then it isn't but that doesn't stop parents taking kids out in term time. Some parents request time off but some just take their kids out with no request and deal with it later when they are back. Exception is Reception year as legally don't have to be in school until aged 5 so no previous attendance is recorded.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

I’m really surprised some schools still authorise it, I thought they were no longer able to unless there were truly exceptional circumstances.

We wrote a letter notifying the school, and had a standard letter back saying it was unauthorised and attaching their attendance records (which were both 100%). We were warned we could be fined but weren’t, but I know some authorities do. Annoyingly the week we got back the school was closed for 3 days for snow, we should have done the week after half term not before!
Eccle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 20, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
DanLees
Getting Excited

We email the school.

We get this back:
Thank you for your letter requesting leave for xxxx to attend a family holiday from xxxx - xxxx
Our school, while acknowledging that each family’s circumstances are different, is dedicated to the education of all our pupils and believes regular attendance throughout the year is essential to every child’s success and fulfilment.

Government guidelines, which came into effect on the 1 st September 2013, prevent Headteacher’s from granting any leave of absence during term time, unless there are exceptional circumstances.
Unfortunately, a family holiday during term-time does not fall under the category of ‘exceptional circumstances’ and I am therefore unable to grant leave of absence for your family holiday.
These 3 days will be marked as unauthorised on the school system for xxxx
If you would like to discuss this any further, please contact the school office.

3 days and under = no fine according to eldest's high school.
DanLees is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List