Hal
Gloria sic transit mundi.

Hal's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 17
Originally Posted by IlDivoette View Post
Oh Hal, why is the Strand so bad?, it seems to have mixed reviews on Trip Advisor.
Rather than comment adversely on the Strand Palace, it was UKDiva () I was thinking of when I mentioned the Trafalgar - use her offer to identify it for you.

Owner at Marriott Marbella Beach, Cypress Harbour, & Harbour Lake; and DVC OKW & BLT.

There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle.
Hal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 10, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Originally Posted by jiminy's pal View Post
We live in Northern Ireland and want to take our 10 year old son to the natural history museum in London. I was thinking of a day trip for his 11th birthday in April. I can get early flights from Belfast that will get us in to Gatwick before 8am then the plan is the Gatwick Express to Victoria. It is only two tube stops to South Ken which is the nearest stop to the museum. Then the same in reverse at around 5.30 or 6pm to get a flight at 7.50 back home. Can anyone see any flaws or suggest any better alternatives? I have done the whole Belfast - Gatiwck - Gatwick Express thing for work a few times so am familiar with that and with Victoria station. I was once in the NHM briefly and think there would be no problem putting a day in there (he is very keen on dinosaurs and animals) but am assuming that if we had time we could also go to the science museum which is nearby. Any suggestions or comments welcome!
The only flaw is that The Natural History gets very busy. You may have to queue for a good time, even on non school days. I would go and check out the queues, then if they are too bad go to the Science Museum next door. It is great. If you can get in the Natural History then great but The Science Museum is a good alternative.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 10, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Hal

Hal's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by jiminy's pal View Post
Any suggestions or comments welcome!
It sounds like a great plan. Flights are often cheaper if you stay a Saturday Night, so why not try to make it a weekend trip and book a Travelodge or similar? With the time pressure off, you could get a South Eastern train or First Capital Connect train into London from Gatwick instead. It will take say 15-mins longer but the amount you save for a family could cover the cost of a cheap hotel - or go some way towards it at least.

Owner at Marriott Marbella Beach, Cypress Harbour, & Harbour Lake; and DVC OKW & BLT.

Hal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 10, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
This is a really helpful thread

We're spending 4 days with my mum over Easter in Loughton and although DH and I grew up in London we haven't been back for about 10 years (I did a flying visit last year for a Dibb meet) the plan so far includes 1 day where we get the tube to the Bank and do some major walking to take in

The Monument, London Bridge, Southwark Cathedral, Borough Market (I grew up in the Borough and remember the market when it was rough and ready) The Clink, Borough High Street, Tower Bridge and if we've any energy left HMS Belfast

The second "West End" day will include the London Eye, Science and Natural History museum, Bodeans rib place in Poland Street and a look around Soho as I used to work in Golden Square, Brewer Street and possibly the London Ducks Tour.

We've got a day planned to visit our old stomping ground of Chingford and Epping Forest and a spare day that I haven't though about yet.

I might do a mini trippie when we get back

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 10, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Hal

Hal's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
To save back tracking, get the underground 1-stop further to St Paul's. Then you can take in St Paul's and cross "The Wobbly Bridge" (i.e. "The Millenium Bridge") to the Tate Modern, turn left walk past The Globe, have a drink at The Anchor Bankside, and on to The Clink, Borough Market, Southwark Cathedral, London Bridge Experience, London Dungeon, Hays Galleria, HMS Belfast, the London Assembly, Butlers Wharf, Tower Bridge, Tower of London, Monument, Royal Exchange, Bank of England Museum, Bank back to Loughton.

Old 15 Jan 10, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Karen Mouse
Imagineer

Karen Mouse's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We're planning a 3 day break in April.

Has anyone done the Britain at war exhibit? - if so, is it any good?

My son is 9 - what else could we do? He fancies the tower of London and tower bridge exhibition - are these both suitable or will he be bored?

We're doing the hop on hop off original bus tour also.
Old 15 Jan 10, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post

OMG! Cant believe I have just noticed this thread exists? !

Typically we are off to London tomorrow for 4 days and could of done with some planning help!

So far we have trains booked, booked Top Secret hotel on lastminute.com - Kensignton Close Hotel and Spa £204 for 3 night and looks AMAZING!
Got tickets booked for Cirque at the Royal Albert Hall on Sunday night so going to try and see another show last minute tomorrow night, take in the Natural History, British and Imperial War museums. Visit the Trocadero Centre and maybe see a movie too
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 10, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
kaboomba
Imagineer

Could someone tell me roughly how long each of these attractions take to get round! Trying to plan my days out just now!

Madame Tussauds
London Zoo
Sea Life centre
London Eye

thanks guys!
kaboomba is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 10, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
To save back tracking, get the underground 1-stop further to St Paul's. Then you can take in St Paul's and cross "The Wobbly Bridge" (i.e. "The Millenium Bridge") to the Tate Modern, turn left walk past The Globe, have a drink at The Anchor Bankside, and on to The Clink, Borough Market, Southwark Cathedral, London Bridge Experience, London Dungeon, Hays Galleria, HMS Belfast, the London Assembly, Butlers Wharf, Tower Bridge, Tower of London, Monument, Royal Exchange, Bank of England Museum, Bank back to Loughton.
That sounds like a plan although we might carry on from Southwark Cathedral and on to the Imperial War Museum and show them my secondary school just across the road

What's the London Bridge Experience? is it worth a visit

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 10, 01:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Hal

Hal's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by TinkTatoo View Post
What's the London Bridge Experience?
See here. Its a London Dungeon competitor. 2-for-1 offer here.

...is it worth a visit
I haven't done it - sorry.