Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Jun 19, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridarules View Post
There are comments that shouldn’t be made and ‘joking’ about acid attacks is one of them- end of...

What makes me angry is whilst watching sporting events, sometimes a ‘swear word’ is heard and the over exaggerated apologies are somewhat embarrassing.

This is absolutely unacceptable and if this was ‘joked about’ in any other setting, it should be severely dealt with not ‘brushed off’

Someone in the public eye has a responsibility to control themselves and clearly this so called comedian is incapable of that, or seemingly apologising afterwards. 😡😡😡
Don’t understand what overheard swearing on TV being apologised for had anything to do with the Jo Brand joke.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridarules View Post
I simply don’t see any humour in inciting violence.
Nice that you are in agreement with Jo Brand.

She did not approve of attacking Nigel Farage either.

Happy ending for both of you!
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Tco200
Imagineer

Like her or not, describing her as slutty seems below the belt.

She’s not everyone’s cup of tea and her ‘joke’ was misguided at best but that comment seems out of place
Tco200 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 12:50 AM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by disney_daddy View Post
100% agree Jo Cox was my MP she had visited my Nieces school on the morning of that tragic day, either far left or far right both are fanatical and just as dangerous to our moderate inclusive way of life.
The irony of course is that without Nigel Farage and other far right populists and their vitriolic rhetoric, Jo Cox may well still be alive. After all, the nutter who shot her screamed "Britain first". I'm not sure people would take Jo Brand's stupid one-time joke as a call to action, as opposed to politicians who regularly call those who oppose their views traitors for years on end...

Edited at 12:52 AM.
YLL is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 07:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Tco200 View Post

She’s not everyone’s cup of tea and her ‘joke’ was misguided at best but that comment seems out of place
I agree, that’s quite an offensive term to use? I don’t agree with what she said either but calling her slutty?

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 07:38 AM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

"I would don khaki and pick up a rifle..."

"Why bother with a milkshake when you could get some battery acid? That's just me. I'm not going to do it, it's purely fantasy, but I think milkshakes are pathetic, I honestly do, sorry."

One's arguably incitement to violence. The other, when taken in context with the entirety of the piece, is admonishing such acts (albeit by a tasteless joke).

I don't find Brand funny in the slightest, but let's face it, her words don't influence, for example, 30-odd percent of the population of Peterborough, do they? Farage's calls have far greater influence (unfortunately), and it now seems we can add hypocritical snowflake to his grand list of flaws.
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tco200 View Post

I assumed that it was a typo and the OP did indeed mean smutty - jo brand is definitely not slutty but can be certainly smutty.
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

how many people on this thread have actually heard the whole clip in the context of the actual show rather than just an edited soundbite or some right-wing anger merchant like farage or guido fawkes?

how many people think that the radio 4 listening audience are stupid enough to think she was being serious and contemplating doing it for real?

this isnt farage talking about taking up arms because he didnt get the result he wanted in front of a crowd of people stupid enough to actually want to do stuff on his behalf, this is an ABC1 audeience who are can differentiate between (poorly judged) humour and actual incitement to violence.

also, slutty? shut your mouth...
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Chilli-pepper View Post
I don't see any difference in this and what the other person did with the 'royal' photo she should absolutely be sacked, both were in extremely bad taste and offensive,
She cannot be sacked by the BBC they are not her employer. Plus as I have already stated this was not a live show so they chose to broadcast it. Twenty days after it was recorded apparently

As for the police involvement, maybe in an ideal world but in the real world where the police don't attend actual physical crimes it's ludicrous!
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
how many people on this thread have actually heard the whole clip in the context of the actual show rather than just an edited soundbite or some right-wing anger merchant like farage or guido fawkes?

how many people think that the radio 4 listening audience are stupid enough to think she was being serious and contemplating doing it for real?

this isnt farage talking about taking up arms because he didnt get the result he wanted in front of a crowd of people stupid enough to actually want to do stuff on his behalf, this is an ABC1 audeience who are can differentiate between (poorly judged) humour and actual incitement to violence.

also, slutty? shut your mouth...
I am sure nobody thought she intended to do it. But that is not the point, some things should not be joked about, throwing acid at people is one of them. Incidents of throwing acid have been on the increase, I wish they would go back to being that very very rare event.

Comedians using acid throwing as joke material helps to normalise acid throwing at people as something we do in our society. I also feel pretty sure that a lot of people defending Jo Brand would take a different view if Nigel Farage cracked a joke about same. Comedians do not have a greater right to “freedom of speech” than other people.

And as for her saying immediately afterwards that she didn’t mean it, well that is meaningless. It is a bit like saying “I don’t mean to cause any offence but...” and then going onto saying something offensive.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List