Closed Thread

Old 16 Jul 19, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Bubsi
slightly serious Dibber

Bubsi's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Mobile

The coronado was always there convention center hotel abd the renovstions and expansion was soley geared towards pleasing there convention and business clients as they demanded more luxurious facilites and rooms to match other offerings off site. So it would be expected to see business people and conventioners.

However our personal view was to give them that but as a totally seperate resort.

Interesting to hear how the general facikotiea cope with the increase of occupants and housekeeping obvioisly hasnt caught up yet! Glad to hear they dealt with the complaint well.

July 2004 - Caribbean Beach Resort
Sept 2005 - Marriott World Center
Nov 2006 - Marriott World Center
Nov 2007 - Marriott World Center
Sept 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
Sept 2010 - Caribbean Beach Resort

Bubsi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsEgg
Apprentice Imagineer

We really enjoyed our stay at the end of May/June and we have booked again for next year. Luck of the draw I guess but you get that with all the convention hotels in Disney and also you run the risk of the cheer leading competitions/sports competitions being at any of the Value/Moderates as well as convention go-ers, we stayed at CBR and they were bussing convention people over one year.
MrsEgg is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by lorr05 View Post
but for me they are pushing Coronado springs towards conventions with the new bars and restaurants to appeal to couples or business people at conventions rather than families looking for Disney magic.
Yes, indeed. And I think Disney has been reasonably upfront about that fact. It's aimed more at conventioners, whereas most of the other 20+ resorts are aimed more at families looking for Disney magic. They recently added the Gran Destino tower to encourage even more conventioners.

Of the 5 resorts listed on Disney's Meetings & Events website that Disney identifies as being "Ideal for Conventions & Other Large Events", CSR is the cheapest resort listed:

disneymeetingsandevents... world/resorts/

And, yes, Disney does have a website dedicated to corporate meetings and events at their parks where you can go to organise a convention at their resorts.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

I thank you for your review OP, one of the first on the DIBB since the Tower opened for business, giving your opinion of the changes and vibe now that the Tower is occupied and being used by guests.

I can totally see why you feel the way you do, and I think you make some valid points regarding how Disney and travel agents market the CSR still as a family resort, when it may be beneficial to everyone if they knew that the CSR is a convention hotel also.

I love love love the look of the CSR resort, its a major contender for me when we look to stay onsite next time (in a few years) but we will all be adults, no children in our party, and I do agree with you, it appears the resort is more geared to that demopgraphic, compared to families with young children.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rossmasa View Post
Sad to see OP so disappointed with there stay.

We are going in a few weeks time and really looking forward to it after originally having to change to POR we have managed to change it back to CSR , have been a number of times over the past few years and have always enjoyed CSR more than any other Disney resort.

I quite liked that it was a bit different to other resorts and didn't feel like overly Disney as it was also a convention center as the Disney bubble at the parks etc can drive you mad at times.

We have been quite fortunate with conventions not really affecting us too much as managed to time the food court well and also buses either got on at Casitas or Rancho's , not looking forward to that this year as we are in the Gran Destino so last stop on the Bus route round the resort.
A summary of your stay would be most welcome. Good, bad and ugly.

Have a good time

Disney332
Old 16 Jul 19, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
lorr05
Chilling at Carribean Beach

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Yes, indeed. And I think Disney has been reasonably upfront about that fact. It's aimed more at conventioners, whereas most of the other 20+ resorts are aimed more at families looking for Disney magic. They recently added the Gran Destino tower to encourage even more conventioners.

Of the 5 resorts listed on Disney's Meetings & Events website that Disney identifies as being "Ideal for Conventions & Other Large Events", CSR is the cheapest resort listed:

disneymeetingsandevents... world/resorts/

And, yes, Disney does have a website dedicated to corporate meetings and events at their parks where you can go to organise a convention at their resorts.
Yes because all families booking a summer holiday check the Disney meetings and events website.
I never suggested that Disney themselves weren’t upfront about it being a convention centre however in the UK, both on the Disney website and travel agents, virgin, Thomas Cook, Tui, etc it is definitely marketed and advertised towards families.
There would be nothing wrong with it being a convention centre if they had enough facilities to match the number of guests which my point is, at the moment they don’t seem to.
lorr05 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
lorr05
Chilling at Carribean Beach

Mobile

Originally Posted by Rossmasa View Post
Sad to see OP so disappointed with there stay.

We are going in a few weeks time and really looking forward to it after originally having to change to POR we have managed to change it back to CSR , have been a number of times over the past few years and have always enjoyed CSR more than any other Disney resort.

I quite liked that it was a bit different to other resorts and didn't feel like overly Disney as it was also a convention center as the Disney bubble at the parks etc can drive you mad at times.

We have been quite fortunate with conventions not really affecting us too much as managed to time the food court well and also buses either got on at Casitas or Rancho's , not looking forward to that this year as we are in the Gran Destino so last stop on the Bus route round the resort.
I’m sure you will have a great time and like I said the hotel and in particular the new tower are stunning. Really beautifully decorated on the inside with amazing views. I had an amazing two weeks, I just preferred the atmosphere in hotels like animal kingdom lodge where I’d stayed previously.

In regards to the buses we were stop 2 so picked up first but then had to drive around the other 3 stops before heading to the park. For Epcot and Hollywood studios journeys we spent longer driving around the resort to the other bus stops than the actual journey to the park took. However we were dropped off first when coming back. You’ll be the other way around so advantaged to both. In the first week the buses were busy but always came quickly and usually within 20 minutes. The second week the tower has opened and its mid July so naturally busier but the wait time for buses jumped up and on a couple of occasions, particularly early morning the bus didn’t even go to stops 3 and 1 because it was already full. Hopefully just teething problems and they start to run more buses.
lorr05 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Rossmasa
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
A summary of your stay would be most welcome. Good, bad and ugly.

Have a good time

Disney332
Yes I will definitely post a review , being a previous guest before the Tower and during its construction years i think i am qualified to compare how its changed.
Caribbean Beach Resort August 2016
Coronado Springs Resort August 2014, 2015, 2017 2018, 2019 (Gran Destino)
Art Of Animation December 2021 2022
Pop Century May 2023 & Christmas New Year 2023/2024
Rossmasa is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 19, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lorr05 View Post
Yes because all families booking a summer holiday check the Disney meetings and events website.
I never suggested that Disney themselves weren’t upfront about it being a convention centre however in the UK, both on the Disney website and travel agents, virgin, Thomas Cook, Tui, etc it is definitely marketed and advertised towards families.
There would be nothing wrong with it being a convention centre if they had enough facilities to match the number of guests which my point is, at the moment they don’t seem to.
I think you make a reasonable and valid point.

Disney332
Old 16 Jul 19, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

We stayed there in February and felt similar. We won’t go back unless it’s significantly cheaper than the other moderates (which it was in February). No issues with the rooms, food, buses but during the week it was majority convention goers and the atmosphere and vibe was not only not Disney, it wasn’t even holiday. I’m not sure what the convention was but the attendees were 99% middle aged men and they hung around the bars, the pool area and the food court all day dressed in suits so like you I didn’t feel comfortable going to the bar or into the food court in a swimsuit with cover up. I actually got “hit on” as the Americans say when I went down for some pastries one morning and a fella on the bus to Disney Spring asked me to dinner (husband was standing a bit down the bus). If it had been a convention of a kids team it would have been a different vibe. It didn’t really bother us overall and we were happy to have had a nice room onsite for a good price but it will never be our top choice.
landandword17 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread