Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Aug 19, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Driving test in your own car

Anyone have experience of this please, DS failed his driving test a while ago and now wants to do most of his practice in our little car. Last time he took the test in the instructors car but it was about £85 to have the use of the car plus the lesson before then £62 for the test - he doesn’t have a lot of money so was wondering if he should just use our car or what the drawbacks are of this.
He will have some more lessons to make sure he is up to scratch and not making mistakes that will cause a fail but if he gets used to our car are there any reasons that he shouldn’t use that..other than the fact that one of us will have to take him.
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

The cost of insuring him on your car, and the time spent practising for him to get used to it as well as the driving instructor's car hardly seems worthwhile especially when it won't have dual controls. And as you mention someone will also have to take him.

Don't take it the wrong way, but if he's that skint is he even going to be able to afford to buy and run a car once he's passed his test?
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Why is it so much? Normally you pay for two lessons, the hour you’re with them and the hour you have their car? I’m sure that’s how most people have done it.

I would say the main problem is you don’t have an extra mirror for the examiner which you would need, there are a list of requirements on the gov website.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Do5-BaG
Very Serious Dibber

Stick with the car he knows best, some people will say a car is a car, for the experienced that may be the case, but for someone who isn't yet a qualified driver even the littlest things can throw them.

Different positions for the clutch, increased engine power, mirror positions, turning circles / lock, seating position etc...

Not to mention the increase in your insurance just to out him on there for the time needed, all in all it doesn't seem worth it.

A further issue I would see is the additional foot controls in the teachers car, obviously these are not available in your car.

Edited at 04:37 PM.
Do5-BaG is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

I passed in my own car, and was fine, just plenty of driving beforehand to get used to the car. Everyone is different, and i guess it depends on what he failed at, the first time.
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
KayLouise
Very Serious Dibber

I'm planning on doing my driving test in our car. Just need to purchase an extra rear view mirror (though some test centres do provide them), have to make sure the tyre tread is good and no warning lights on in the car.
If he will have plenty of practise in your car before using it for the test and you are fine with putting him on the insurance to do so then I don't see any problem. Good luck to him 😊
KayLouise is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

DD had her own car for her 17th bday and put many hours of practise on the road with it, she also had regular lessons with her instructor to ensure she knew the "correct techniques". She sat her test in her instructors car & passed first time.
Friend made good use of the Arnold Clark hire a dual control car at £12 an hour and also had instructor lessons as well she also passed first time.
Learning to drive is expensive what ever you do. Many instructors won't use learner drivers own vehicles as they aren't dual control/maintained/serviced etc just having an mot doesn't mean they are road worthy.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Is it an option for you to gift him/loan him the money to practice/sit test in his driving instructors car?

Wishing your ds lots of luck. Let us know how he gets on.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
SiandAm
Imagineer

My DS did just this. He failed his first test but said he didn't feel 'at home' in the instructors car. He had been out with myself and DH several times in his own car and was adamant he would do his next test in his own car. I wasn't happy, and was convinced it was the wrong choice, but he passed with 1 minor and he's convinced its because he felt more comfortable in his own car.

PORS 1995 Grand Floridian 1997 CBR 1998 ASMovies2002/2004Cumbrian lakes 2005,6,8,10,11,12,13,14 & 15 NYC/disney '12 AKL 2007 OKW 2009 2012Ellie hunts tour CBR 19
cumbrian lakes2016,17,18,19,22 2019 ASMovies 2022
SiandAm is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

I failed once in my instructors car, (wasn’t ready really!) but shortly before I re did my test I was insured in my first car and did a fair bit of driving (I think I went out with every excuse in the book!) with my brother & mum, i then retook the rest in my instructors car and passed - as at the point at which I was driving in my car I was ready I just needed more hours of road time.
Is that an option for you? Save money on extra lessons but still take the test with the instructors car? (That way you have non of the agro of us my car compliant?)
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List