Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 18 Apr 19, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
I love walmart
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile What ‘cooking’ chocolate do you use?

I want to make some chocolate treats over the weekend, rocky road, cornflake clusters etc.
What do others use? Some I’ve used in the past go a bit ‘claggy’ when melted and others that melt right taste a bit cheap. Any ideas?
I love walmart is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I use Cadbury’s never cooking chocolate. I made brownies today with Cadbury’s and will make rice crispy nests with the it as well, they are yummy x
Old 18 Apr 19, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
June8th
Apprentice Imagineer

I never use cooking chocolate, hate the taste, always eating chocolate. Usually plain chocolate or a good quality milk one.
June8th is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Usually use a mixture of Bournville or Dairy Milk with one of the supermarket brands.
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Ivegottadream
VIP Dibber

I use the value brand of any supermarket chocolate. It's about 30p for 100g and so far Morrisons, Aldi, Lidl and Sainsbury's have so been delicious 😁. Agree with others, cooking chocolate is gross.
Ivegottadream is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

My view it’s like wine if you wouldn’t drink 🍷 t don’t cook with it Choclate if you won’t eat it don’t come k with it
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ivegottadream View Post
I use the value brand of any supermarket chocolate. It's about 30p for 100g and so far Morrisons, Aldi, Lidl and Sainsbury's have so been delicious 😁. Agree with others, cooking chocolate is gross.
Me too and before I would only have used Cadbury's or Galaxy but the value chocolate tastes quite nice. I find some places are slightly nicer than others. I tend to buy it in buy from Aldi as I don't go often and I quite like their value chocolate..
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

Ordinary own brand value chocolate is the best, seriously most of the cheaper chocolate tastes as good if not better than the brands... especially Cadbury’s which is rubbish now...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 12:46 AM  
Link to this Post
I love walmart
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

I hate the taste of cooking chocolate too, so have tried all sorts of brands of chocolate. All types of melting methods too. I can never seem to get it to melt to a runny consistency though. It always goes too thick. I wondered if that was because it was different to cooking chocolate, like it had a higher melting point?
I love walmart is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

I always use cooking chocolate and tend to use whatever is on offer in Tesco typically dr oetker or their own brand. I melt it in a bowl over gently simmering water as it’s easier to keep an eye on it this way. If you do it in the microwave, you run the risk of overdoing it and it goes grainy. I’ve never had an issue with the taste as I use other ingredients when making things like rocky road or crispy cakes such as butter and syrup.