Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 8 Jul 19, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Here you go. The one online is much more detailed though
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
nolypops83
VIP Dibber

I absolutely hate the large gin glasses (bowls!) filled with ice, it drives me mad. All I want is a normal short glass with a couple of ice cubes and a slice of lime, let me add the tonic myself. Simple!
Old 8 Jul 19, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Do5-BaG View Post
My GF seems to think I make good G&T's but they are a little over the top.

Large Gin Glass
Ice Cubes or Crushed Ice
Double or Triple shot - Sipsmiths / Tanqueray / Sainsburys Black Friar (made by Greenalls)
Elderflower Tonic
a few palm crushed mint leaves
Then either - Whole Raspberries / Sliced Strawberries / Sliced Orange (With spirals of zest) / Sliced Lemon (With spirals of zest)
Stir well and hey presto!
Thanks for the tip about the mint. I put it in Mojitos and Pimms but just tried it in G&T... fab !

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
Have you got any medicine dosing cups? We'd got one off a bottle of Night Nurse so I measure 50ml using that and add a little bottle of tonic.

Aldi do a very good copy of Fevertree tonic so I'll have those at home. I don't drink G&T very often at home so it saves wasting bottles of tonic. The bottles are 200ml.

So, 50ml gin, 200ml tonic, slice of lemon and ice. Why don't you have a little practice before your friends arrive so you can appear to be a perfect mixologist
Are you watching me... I did...

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
50ml sounds fine to me🤪. Try using just normal tonic, non of the flavoured ones then adding pink peppercorns and a sprig of rosemary or basil and halved strawberries. Buy good quality tonic though, Fentimans or Fevertree.
Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Here you go. The one online is much more detailed though
Originally Posted by nolypops83 View Post
I absolutely hate the large gin glasses (bowls!) filled with ice, it drives me mad. All I want is a normal short glass with a couple of ice cubes and a slice of lime, let me add the tonic myself. Simple!
I think it must be me as everyone seems to like Fevertree, except me, I like good old Schweppes.
Might try the pink peppercorns though.

Thank you everyone. xxx
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 19, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
ozzyowl1
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I quite like a pink gin, my favourite at the moment is Bloom although I go for 60 ml, and also don’t like tonic much so I buy small bottles of Fentimans Rose lemonade! I find it the perfect mix!
ozzyowl1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 19, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I like frozen raspberries and frozen blueberries instead of ice. Looks nice too.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 19, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Oh gawd, I am on my second now... and I have got to cook god knows how many curries.

xx
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 19, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

You could pour the measure of gin into a glass and leave the tonic for the guests to add. In a pub they give you the tonic to add.

I hate too much ice
Old 8 Jul 19, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I got some marble ice cubes at Christmas, doesn't water down the drink! marbletree/product...#&ts=undefined
Old 8 Jul 19, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I don’t drink normally but on Boxing Day my sister insisted that finally have a G&T (never tried one before) she handed a fish bowl with a shot and half of pink gin with a bottle of tonic water in it, she put a mix of frozen raspberries, strawberries & blueberries in it instead of ice. It looked beautiful but far too strong for me so she added another bottle of tonic (that’s how big the fish bowl glass was) and also added some ice to help water it down.
I actually enjoyed it but there was so much it took me forever to drink lol
If I was to have another I would have a single shot with tonic water, filled with ice to dilute a bit and strawberries 🍓
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 19, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
PerksP
Imagineer

I was introduced to adding a star anise to a g&t and although I am not a fan of the flavour liquorice the little tang it adds is really lovely. It's a really good way of adding a little tang to a standard G&T and far cheaper than buying fancy tonics
PerksP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List