Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Aug 19, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Just had an odd experience !

I was just getting into my car at the petrol station when a woman asked if I could help her.

She had abandoned her car because it had run out of petrol. She filled her jerry can and asked for a lift back.

The man from the mini-shop came out with a shopping bag and coins to see if they were mine (no). I asked the woman, she said yes so I took them and handed them to her. Then she said no, they weren't hers. I took them back in the shop.

We drove off, she talked about not having money and how her ex is treating her badly. By this time I felt uncomfortable, she kept repeating herself. When got to her car she asked where I'd put her bag. I reminded her she'd said it wasn't hers. Oh, she said, it IS mine, I'll have to go back for it now !

Off she toddled with her jerry can to fill her car. I've checked the seat, nothing's wrong. My purse and phone are in my cross-body bag so nothing missing.

Doesn't sound much but its unsettled me. I wasn't scared because it's a busy area and she was a tiny thing, I'm not !
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Do5-BaG
Very Serious Dibber

I have never stopped or helped anyone who has ever came to me asking for a lift, not that I'm horrible or a bad person but you read so much stuff about car jackings, wrongly accused situations, assaults, robberies that happen like this that I just don't take the chance, it could be a little old 90 Year Old woman and I'd still tell her NO.
Old 21 Aug 19, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Perhaps she was just having a bad day and wasn't thinking straight. But you really should stop picking waifs up! Most people are genuine, but there are nutters about too.
Old 21 Aug 19, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Sounds a bit odd, probably best not to give strangers lifts though! I had a man ask me if I was English I don’t look English but open my mouth and kat slater comes out. He wanted me to buy him a Oyster card in broken English so I told him to “do one” and walked off!
Old 21 Aug 19, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Do5-BaG View Post
I have never stopped or helped anyone who has ever came to me asking for a lift, not that I'm horrible or a bad person but you read so much stuff about car jackings, wrongly accused situations, assaults, robberies that happen like this that I just don't take the chance, it could be a little old 90 Year Old woman and I'd still tell her NO.
I find it funny how we always tell kids to never accept lifts from strangers yet never tell adults not to do the same.

From what the OP has said it could have been someone with a genuine cry for help, but there are still a lot of very disturbed people out there
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

She doesn't sound all there the poor woman. It was kind of you to give her a lift, but I wouldn't recommend anyone doing it as there are some strange people out there who don't always have honourable intentions.

I have only once ever run out of petrol and that was decades ago when I was young and foolish (I'm very sensible now), but if I did run out now I would call the breakdown service, or if I wasn't in it get an uber or get a friend or family to take me to/from a petrol station, but failing that I wouldn't ask a stranger for a lift.

I'm glad you weren't kidnapped and you are around to tell the story😀
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Thank you for helping this lady. Sounds like she's in a bad place emotionally and not being able to get fuel to her car would maybe have been the last straw for her.
I think we should all help where we can. I've run out of fuel before now and been glad of a lift back to my vehicle with a full jerry can; so if I see somebody else in the same situation I will offer a lift
Yes, there are nutters about...but 99% of people are just needing genuine help and it's only the Daily Fail that makes people think teh world is full of danger
(Yes, I pick up hitch-hikers too. The latest one - no joke - had a bull terrier on a lead and a chainsaw under his arm)
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
She doesn't sound all there the poor woman. It was kind of you to give her a lift, but I wouldn't recommend anyone doing it as there are some strange people out there who don't always have honourable intentions.

I have only once ever run out of petrol and that was decades ago when I was young and foolish (I'm very sensible now), but if I did run out now I would call the breakdown service, or if I wasn't in it get an uber or get a friend or family to take me to/from a petrol station, but failing that I wouldn't ask a stranger for a lift.

I'm glad you weren't kidnapped and you are around to tell the story😀
I’m also glad she wasn’t kidnapped! I would have had to cough up the ransom!
Old 21 Aug 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
DreamDisney
Getting Excited

How old was she? Is it possible she was suffering from some kind of early onset dementia?
DreamDisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Aww that does sound odd. So glad your ok. It does sound like she was maybe just forgetful/floopy.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List