Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 25 Nov 19, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Can anyone from the Wakefield area answer this question?

Born and brought up in Wakefield and we always called the Christmas tree baubles wessel (wassail) cups. In the South they look at us if we are barmy! On talking to a couple of Yorkshire friends they had never heard of it either. After extensive Googling the general opinion is that it is confined to the Wakefield area. Is it a quaint Yorkshire expression that has faded with time or do people still use the term?
Old 25 Nov 19, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

I’ve heard of the Christmas carol. Here we come a wassailing.

This is what I found.

en.m.wikipedia/wiki/Here...e_A-wassailing
Old 25 Nov 19, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

I'm in Leeds and I've never heard that expression sorry!
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 19, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

I'm Lancs/Yorkshire border and never heard off then called that.
Heard the Carol but not used as a term for baubles.

I find it funny when you realise sayings and traditions are very local. I grew up having black peas every bonfire night only to find out it's very local!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 19, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

ClarissaB wrote: »
I was born near Pontrefract in Yorkshire in the early 50s and my Yorkshire relatives all referred to the decorative "baubles" on the Christmas tree as "Wessel Cups". In those days they were made of glass and fractured very easily. It's only in recent years that I've made the connection with "Wassail", meaning "good health". I still prefer the name Wessel cup to bauble!

Yep, this ^^

I moved to Yorkshire (just outside Wakefield) 6 years ago and was introduced to the term Wessel Cups by my ex wifes family. I knew they were the baubles and assumed it was to do with Wassail, but never asked!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I guess it might have faded into obscurity with time
Old 25 Nov 19, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Why cups though?

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 19, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
spenners
I'm Ready To Go NOW!

spenners's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 10
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
We call them wessle cups (not sure that’s how to spell it though) and I live in Stanley Wakefield. Don’t know the meaning behind it though 🤷🏼

Las Vegas - October 2023 (6th West Coast Trip)
New York - February 2019 - My 50th Birthday Trip (1st Visit)
Florida - January 2024 - Taking mini me for her 30th birthday (22nd Visit to Florida)
Florida - September 2024 (23rd visit) - just me and hubby
spenners is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 19, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by spenners View Post
We call them wessle cups (not sure that’s how to spell it though) and I live in Stanley Wakefield. Don’t know the meaning behind it though 🤷🏼
Oh goody, glad we are not the only ones
I think they were originally little glass cups that held wine which were offered to people wishing them good health. When they were empty they were hung on the tree.
"Wassail comes from Old English "Waes Hail" - "Good Health""

Edited at 09:22 PM.
greekgranny is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 19, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Mobile

South Yorkshire never heard of it!
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 19, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I’m from Ossett, ( I don’t like to say Wakey, not least because of that MP) but yes we called them Wessel cups always.

Edited at 09:30 PM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List