Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 15 Oct 21, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Sights,Bites and Maltese delights. Malta Oct 2021. Day 3 In no hurry for a curry.

Friday 1 October

Ouch.

We both had a restless night thanks to large itchy mosquito bites so we were quite late down for breakfast at just after 10 but it was nice and quiet.

The weather forecast was predicting ☁️ today and 🌧 tomorrow so I did take some 🧁 from breakfast back to the room in case it was going to be a coffee, cake and netflix kind of day.

It would definitely have to be netflix as the channels on the hotel tv were a bit dire.

No films and other programmes seemingly on a constant loop of cake boss, cheaters ( Joey Greco enough to give me nightmares), catfish, Eastenders and the MTV show Ridiculous.
There were some news channels, discovery and kids channels but I thought it was a pretty poor general entertainment choice. Not even NCIS !

The BBC and Met office Malta weather forecasts were consistently unreliable throughout the two weeks and in the end today would have been ideal for sightseeing as it didn’t rain. But it took me a few days to find a more reliable local weather forecast source.

After a bit of time sat on the balcony

and in the spirit of pacing ourselves, today’s activity was to walk round the (uphill) corner to the other end of Paceville/St Julian’s to check out the shopping and restaurants.

It was much closer than we realised

and we were at St Julians beach before we knew it.

Much busier in the central part of the town and so much construction .. that really struck us here. Construction and lots of half finished buildings everywhere

It didn’t take long to look round the shops

Just not Orlando

This hotel looked very impressive

but nothing caught our eye in the stores - not even in M&S

Who puts glass panels into an upper level walkway so people below can look up and see yer knicks as you walk over

Unless it was one way glass as we definitely could see the people below….

Wasnt keen on this area - felt a bit seedy for us - we must be getting old.

This was lovely with the bright colours. The building on the right is the Intercontinental which we almost booked. It looked amazing inside. But I preferred our sea front location.

Lots of building work

We stopped at the supermarket and did a stock up in anticipation of this forecast bad weather picking up some wine and nibbles and milk .

Here’s the receipt so you can see see the prices. We thought it was v reasonable

It was another thing though that I felt was a bit stingy for cub level at a 5 star hotel - teeny milk pods and not enough of them for us to have more than one coffee each.

Of course now we had shopping to carry back, the clouds had disappeared and it was hot 🥵

Definitely time for a refreshing Moscow mule and some lunch on the terrace.

The Parma bruschetta with fruit chutney

And a posh cheese and ham toastie

Just as we finished lunch, the restaurant we were booked in to for this evening rang and said they were having to move us to an earlier slot - um we might not be that hungry then but never mind.

We did give the sundowners a miss tonight and it felt like in no time at all we were due at the restaurant. Maybe we should have just cut our losses and cancelled as we still weren’t hugely hungry.

Tonight’s choice was the Emperor of India which was a ten minute walk and almost back to where we had been this morning in Paceville.

The service in the restaurant was very attentive and they were very busy. Every table was taken and it as very strict on the social distancing .

The food was very flavoursome - quite different spices and flavours that we are used to from the local Indian restaurant

We shared the starter platter which came out steaming hot

Boti kebab, Malai Tikka, Tandoori Mushroom, Seekh Kebab, Mint Chicken Tikka and Vegetable Seekh kebab

The mint tikka was indeed green.

I then had the Emperor of India special curry . This was a bit too rich for me . It was very creamy and fruity. Really nice but too rich

I had it with mushroom rice

which Andy shared with his Chicken Tikka Jalfrezi.

We shared a roti and Keema Naan and some wine

Very nice but very filling and quite exotically spiced.

As we left we walked past the row of strip clubs and massage parlours - which were all now lit up and we both commented that it reminded us of being in Amsterdam

Unfortunately the combination of wine and over eating heavily spiced food did mean we were both up suffering from indigestion for quite some time.

Suspect this means it will be a quiet and lazy day tomorrow

Edited at 06:58 PM.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
princessnicki
VIP Dibber

Curry looks lovely, shame they made you change the time so you couldnt enjoy it as much

All of Team Bricki's Trip and Food Reports

2019- Our Super Secret Wedding and Honeymoon In Disney World
2021- London
2022- Brett's 40th Celebrations In Orlando
2023- Lisbon and Sorrento
2024- Athens and Italy Tour

INSTAGRAM teambricki_yorkshire_foodies
princessnicki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 21, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
No shopping? That’s unheard of in one of your trip reports! 😉

Good planning with the room snacks. 👍
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 21, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by princessnicki View Post
Curry looks lovely, shame they made you change the time so you couldnt enjoy it as much
It was lovely,fragrant and rich. We should have just re booked for another night so we could appreciate it !

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
No shopping? That’s unheard of in one of your trip reports! 😉

Good planning with the room snacks. 👍
Yeah , the shopping was definitely missing on this trip !
Always need emergency snax
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 21, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

I always think Malta is just full of unfinished buildings I think its a tax thing? When they put the roof on they have to pay tax? I think your currys look amazing!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 21, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
I always think Malta is just full of unfinished buildings I think its a tax thing? When they put the roof on they have to pay tax? I think your currys look amazing!
Ah didnt know that I thought it was all going to be really old and was quite surprised by the construction but I think that’s because I’ve only ever seen pics of Valletta so didn’t really think about the other bits !
Old 3 Nov 21, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I love a Moscow Mule. Sounds nice wandering around the town and good that the weather stayed good. Curry in the evening looks delicious.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 21, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

At last some shops! Although not quite Orlando standards. I think we have been overly spoiled on the shopping front as I always compare other destinations to the US
That curry looks delish, I don't think you'd have managed that on top of canapés too!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 21, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I love a Moscow Mule. Sounds nice wandering around the town and good that the weather stayed good. Curry in the evening looks delicious.
Mmm, it’s a classic one isn’t it. I had a kiwi mule at the end of the holiday and that was zingy.

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
At last some shops! Although not quite Orlando standards. I think we have been overly spoiled on the shopping front as I always compare other destinations to the US
That curry looks delish, I don't think you'd have managed that on top of canapés too!
Yes I’m the same. M&S was everywhere over here, as was Costa. It was like being at home 😄