bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 25
A magical time on board the magic: Day 1 at sea

Day 1 at sea
Saturday 25th September 2021
Cabanas, Pool Time, Kids Club, Cove Cafe, Stem to Stern Wine Tasting, Martini tasting, Animators Palate, Family Quiz Night, Freezing the Night Away, Disney Trivia and 90s Music Trivia.

We woke at 6:40am excited to start our first day at sea. Andy went for a stroll around the ship and picked up some coffees and hot chocolates for us all.

Then we all went onto our verandah to watch the spectacular sunrise at 7am. The hot chocolate reminded us of the one you can get in the Disney hotels but slightly sweeter.

After we got ready we walked to Cabanas to grab a table for breakfast.

The girls and I decided to do some more Disneybounding, I went for Moana, Izzy went for Marie and Immy went for Snow White.

We got there at about 8am and it wasn’t busy at all.

The selection here was fantastic and everything we had was really delicious. Between us we had omelette, eggs, sausage, bacon, turkey sausage, Mickey waffle, syrup, chocolate donut , fried bread with Nutella, pancakes with strawberries and cream, fruit, coffee and orange juice! Phew!

After breakfast we went down to the Oceaneer’s Club for open house. It was brilliant to see it again and see all the areas the girls had talked about the day before.

After the tour the girls got into their swimming costumes and we set ourselves up on the deck chairs to watch them play in the aqua lab , twist and spout (multiple times!) then on to Goofy’s pool.

We relaxed and enjoyed the sun whilst I made some notes.

The lovely lifeguard told the girls they HAD to try the aqua dunk as it was so good. We had previously suggested it but they weren’t sure but they had promised the lifeguard they would give it a try.

They made it to the top of the stairs and… THEY DID IT! The lifeguard (I wish I got his name) was beaming from ear to ear and cheering them on - I met them at the exit and they decided to go one more time (with some more cheerleading from the lifeguard!)

We picked up some cookies and fruit from Daisy’s De-Lites then went back to our room for the girls to change ready for kids club.

I would highly recommend getting to the pools early - there were no queues for the slides and the pools weren’t crowded which was not at all the case later in the day.

We took the girls down to the kids club and waved them goodbye - they were so excited to be back and the cast members were very complimentary of their outfits.

Now child-free, Andy and I took a stroll to Cove Cafe for a specialty coffee.

It was really lovely, relaxed and quiet in here. The coffees were an extra charge but you got free pastries / cakes (you did have to ask for these though). I had the salted caramel coconut latte which was DIVINE and Andy had a regular latte with an extra shot. We had 4 pastries between us and made some future plans and…. Booked a placeholder for a future cruise! It was a bit of a no-brainer for us - we knew we would more than likely want to go on another cruise in the next couple of years. For those that don’t know, the placeholder costs $250, which comes off your total when you eventually book a cruise, it gives you a 10% discount and is fully refundable if we change our minds.

We sat outside in the adults only section relaxing on some deck chairs for a while and we spotted Adam Hattan and Gary C in the concierge section - a few others spotted them and one went over to meet them.I was surprised to see them as they’d only just been on a Magic at Sea cruise on their YouTube channel - they obviously couldn’t wait to come back! After some chilling it was time to head down to Keys for our Stem to Stern Wine Tasting experience.

We got to try 6 different wines - 3 red and 3 white which an expert explanation and guide through each one. It was really interesting and we both learnt a lot - a great way to spend 45 minutes / an hour on board.

IG: _disneykate_
YouTube: DisneyKate

Edited at 02:53 PM.
bambikate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 21, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
After the wine tasting we collected the kids. They had a fantastic time again and we told them about the placeholder. Izzy was 12 at the time of the cruise so this would be the last time she would be allowed in the Oceaneer’s Club and the girls wanted to check out the older kids clubs to see what they were like. It was open house for Edge and Vibe so we went to both to check them out.

Vibe was first - we loved the attic atmosphere and there were lots of fun activities set up.

The girls tried out some bracelet making and some block building and cup stacking. Andy had a birthday badge on as it was his birthday that week and the cast members at Vibe noticed and surprised him with a lovely Disney Cruise pin and baseball cap out of the blue! We couldn’t believe it - it was really generous and a nice bit of unexpected pixie dust.

After Vibe we checked out Edge - the girls played some connect 4 and a giant cup stacking game and had a look at the kind of entertainment that was on offer.

This would be the club they would be going to on the next cruise and it looked like there would be a lot to keep them entertained but maybe not quite as fun or engaging as the Oceaneer’s Club.

It was now lunchtime and we really wanted to check out the lunchtime selection at Cabanas. The food choice was again really great and this time we took our plates out to enjoy our food outside by Daisy’s De-Lites.

We also got a couple of small wraps from Daisy’s and some more fruit.

After lunch we got an ice cream each. The flavours had changed and there was now a coconut option which I tried and really liked (much to the disgust of the rest of the family!) Whilst the others stuck with chocolate and chocolate and vanilla swirl.

The girls were really keen to meet Stitch and do some slime at the kids club, which was only on at certain times so they asked the cast members when he would be there and we booked another session for them.

We had some unexpected spare time so decided to fit in some extra pool time - Andy and the girls went back to the room to change whilst I waited at a table on deck 9. As I Looked up I saw Adam Hattan and Gary C walk past me towards Cabanas and I really really wanted to stop them and say Hi and get a pic but I was too shy so I didn’t

Izzy forgot she had her mask with her at the top of the slide so this is her protecting it from the water she did a good job! Haha

The pool was much busier than earlier (about 3pm) but not manic and people were on a rota in Goofy’s pool. Andy and I sunbathed and watched some Wreck in Ralph on the funnel vision whilst the girls played.

After our second pool time of the day we went back to the room to freshen up then back to kids club before heading to Keys (again) for our next experience - Martini tasting! We had the same cast member as the wine tasting earlier in the day and he was really great and we again learnt so much we didn’t know about the history of martinis.

We got to try a tea infused martini, a passionfruit and blue curacao curaçao martini and a Godiva chocolate dessert martini. They then also brought out a cucumber “garden” martini and we also got to try our first ever dirty martini which was…. in my opinion totally undrinkable! We really did try but it was so salty! Everything else was delicious though and we thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Posing in portholes!

After a very fun and relaxing time we collected the kids who were bursting to tell us all about their latest trip - bags of slime in hand. We headed back to the room and then got changed ready for dinner at Animator’s Palate.

Edited at 10:34 PM.
bambikate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 21, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
We were really looking forward to doing the animation!

Mine

Andy’s

Immy’s

Izzy’s

I had a cocktail - the “blueberrilicious” and Andy had a Corona. I was massively disappointed with mine - I swear there was no alcohol in it and had no flavour - it tasted like blended frozen blueberries and water

Here is the blueberry and ice soup…

The bread service was ciabatta with garlic dip - it was really yummy.

These knives were available to buy on earlier cruises but like everything else they were sold out on ours!

For starters the girls said they weren’t going to have anything but Marko said - can I choose something for you I bet you will like and if you don’t like it you can leave it? They agreed and he brought them the truffle pasta dish - which they shared and really enjoyed

I had the same dish, it was very good and Andy had the tomato and goat cheese tart and also asked to try the baked potato soup to share.

Spookily, we actually ordered lots of the same food as we did on our cruise back in 2016 but didn’t realise until I was checking my old trip reports!

Getting more colourful!

The animation show was really fun and we all enjoyed watching our characters dancing around on screen.

For main, Immy chose the lemon and thyme chicken and Izzy chose the bolognese pasta both off the adult menu. Andy and I both chose the teriyaki beef tenderloin with wasabi mash. This was OK but nothing on the previous night’s chateaubriand.

Before dessert, Adi and Marko did some more brain teasers with crayons - which we didn’t manage to crack and we had to be shown the solution.

For dessert, I had the walnut cake which was really gorgeous and Andy had the lemon ice box pie and Marko also surprised Andy with a birthday cake

The girls had Oreo sundaes - they had asked for one to share as they were quite full but Marko insisted they had one each - Immy looked at me worried that she wouldn’t finish but I reassured her it was fine and to just leave whatever she couldn’t manage. In the end Andy helped them finish the ice cream off

We enjoyed watching our characters dancing around on the big screens and it was a nice end to the meal.

After dinner, we went to the D Lounge to watch the family game show - Izzy really wanted to join in but I wasn’t sure and suggested we just watch on this occasion. I think it would have been quite fun and we probably would have done quite well because it was all about knowing each other but we did really enjoy watching.

My bag

Edited at 10:42 PM.
Old 2 Nov 21, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
A fellow Dibber, Diane (Bobsledwheels) came up to me to say hi - we had spoken online for years and years and are both Mums of two and golden retriever Mums but never met in real life and I was so happy she came over to say “Hi!”. We chatted for a while and took a picture. It would have been lovely to spend more time together but on such a short cruise there was no time - maybe next time

Straight after the family game show we went to Fathoms to do the Disney Trivia Quiz.

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/194095273@N04/e1Uxmm]

We were super excited to be doing a Disney Quiz as a family with lots of other Disney mega fans.

I ordered a blue glo-tini which I was really looking forward to as I haven’t had one in years and I needed a replacement glow cube to take home (we use them in our bar!). The waiter took our order and brought over our drinks and my drink arrived without a glow cube. He casually mentioned that they were sold out of them as he handed it to me. I was really disappointed and felt that he should have told me before I ordered it. It tasted nice but I was charged full price even without the glow cube so I messaged customer services on the app asking for a reduction as there was no cube and they refunded the whole drink!

There were a couple of tough questions in the quiz but we were pretty happy with our 22/25 and came 2nd overall

After the quiz we headed straight up to deck 9 and 10 to watch Freezing the Night Away. As I reserved a spot to watch the show, Andy went to get some cocktails and Izzy and Immy went to get some ice cream and unfortunately Izzy fell part way down the stairs from deck 10 to deck 9.

Luckily, a cast member was right there and was so lovely and really looked after her including getting her a plaster. All patched up and ice creams in hand, the girls came back and we got ready for the show to begin!

Andy got us some Captain’s Mai Tai’s which were gorgeous.

We had seen the show on YouTube but it was so much better in real life and gave me shivers and made me feel a bit emotional. It wasn’t even the best show I think it was just that magical feeling of the loud music, the atmosphere and just seeing everyone so happy - and the snow!

After the show the girls really wanted a late night trip to the kids club and luckily there was space. We dropped them off and then went back to our room to enjoy the verandah and open one of the bottles of champagne we brought with us.

Our new towel animal - froggy and some more Dove chocolates.

It was really relaxing. We also got a little peckish so ordered some room service - chicken nuggets and chips

We had time to fit in another trivia before we collected the girls so we went back down to Fathoms to give the 90s music trivia a go. We were able to take our room champagne with us (in the glasses we asked for with room service) which was good.

The atmosphere in here was so much fun it was 18+ for this event - everyone was there for a good time and were really friendly. The host was also really funny.

We got 35/40 which I was really happy with - the winners got 39. I also had a lovely compliment from someone who admired my Mickey bag that I made.

After the quiz, we collected the girls who were now on first name terms with the kids club staff. We got back to the room and saw that the kids club staff had made these door magnets for the girls and stuck them to our door, they also got them some gifts which thy put in envelopes and tucked into the fish room signs.

The gift was a little foldable frisbee each which was super cute and a lovely handwritten note each.

The map of where we have been sailing

I was absolutely shattered from this mega jam packed day so went to bed and Andy and the girls went back up to Pinocchios to get a couple of slices of pizza and had these in bed whilst watching cartoons before they hit the hay too.

Edited at 11:04 PM.