Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Feb 21, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Melvin Pearce
Imagineer

Melvin Pearce's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by HevaDuck View Post
A new baby is always lovely news but why do we need to see Prince Harry's bare feet
When we saw his feet today, we thought of Richard Gere in Pretty Woman

Melvin and Lesley
Old 15 Feb 21, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I hope they are all very happy and just bow out of publicity.
It’s the hypocrisy I can’t stand, we don’t want to be in the spotlight except on our terms chipping into the Presidential race, creating Podcasts and generally bestowing our version of how to live on the world.

Good luck, be happy and healthy but bore off now please
Maybe if you had read what they actually said rather than the spin the gutter press put on their words you’d understand (it’s also covered in some of the earlier posts in this thread) or maybe you just don’t want to !
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 21, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Maybe if you had read what they actually said rather than the spin the gutter press put on their words you’d understand (it’s also covered in some of the earlier posts in this thread) or maybe you just don’t want to !
I don’t and have never read the gutter press.
I am quite capable of making my own mind up thank you.
What I see is a couple who want it all their own way with no chance of scrutiny or challenge.
That’s fine if they want a private life as previously specified, but it appears to me that they do not.

I wish them no harm but nor do I wish for them to preach at me via their Netflix contract

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 21, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sheluk View Post
To those who have a strong negative reaction to anything Meghan related, I’d really recommend looking up gaslighting and media manipulation of women to understand why we have such strong opinions on women we’ve never met.

I surprised myself and was shocked at first to realise why I “couldn’t stand” random celebs over the years.

Be entitled to your own opinion but you will quickly realise your opinion is actually influenced by the media.
I don't think this is the whole story, but, gosh yes!

...And it's not just relating to one woman, or all women, but all humans, all politics, all opinions. There's always an agenda.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 21, 12:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Well I foresee a lot of similar photos doing the rounds, wait till the next influencer gets pregnant. ...
Good point! Reading this, I found it really helpful to shift my perspective and see H&M as influencers now; rather than get caught up in the mess of what is true/false about their royal past.

After all, the truth likely doesn't belong to the extreme opinions on either side. (Which is why it's a shame that some posts are using insults to criticise others for using insults. That's just hypocrisy. )

Thanks Sue of Essex!

P.S. Thinking purely of little Archie, I'm glad he's getting a sibling.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 21, 12:13 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

See they’ve just done a tell all interview with Oprah.
I personally can’t stand them- simply because I’m a bit of a republican who believes people should get reward and status based on talent and hard work, not what these two stand for.
The Queen has earnt the respect due to talent and hard work, despite being born into privilege.
But what strikes me as odd is they harp on about privacy, but seem publicity mad to me from the little I see of them (I try to avoid reading about them).

Edited at 12:15 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 21, 12:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Irish
Imagineer

Mobile

To those who have a strong negative reaction to anything Meghan related, I’d really recommend looking up gaslighting and media manipulation of women to understand why we have such strong opinions on women we’ve never met.

I surprised myself and was shocked at first to realise why I “couldn’t stand” random celebs over the years.

Be entitled to your own opinion but you will quickly realise your opinion is actually influenced by the media.
Great post, it was the same with a recent rather nasty post about Davina McCall. Lots of negative comments but no one actually seemed to have a real reason why they didn't like her. I've noticed some of the negative comments on this thread have been posted by the same people who only had negative comments about Davina.

Shame on the first anniversary of Caroline Flack's death that #bekind has remained as a hashtag rather than a reality.
Old 16 Feb 21, 12:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Wee_Red
Imagineer

Wee_Red's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

Very true - remember the dislike of Anne Hathaway? It was a thing and yet for no reason at all. Perfectly polite, talented, attractive young woman - riled people up the wrong way. But no one could say why. It's actually rather fascinating
Wee_Red is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 21, 03:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I'm surprised Harry (after all he has said, done and experienced) has agreed to this kind of interview. Especially after his mum's Panorama interview.

I'm not interested in watching it, but I do hope it's a focus on their non-royal future rather than a version of 'their day in court' -- out of respect for his grandmother, if nothing else.

Old 16 Feb 21, 03:37 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I personally can’t stand them- simply because I’m a bit of a republican who believes people should get reward and status based on talent and hard work, not what these two stand for.
The Queen has earnt the respect due to talent and hard work, despite being born into privilege.
But what strikes me as odd is they harp on about privacy, but seem publicity mad to me from the little I see of them (I try to avoid reading about them).
See this is where I get confused.

Pre Meghan Harry served in the frontline in Afghanistan , since leaving the army he has advocated for MH causes and was the force behind the Invicta games . Followed his mother in advocating for removal of land mines. Compare him with say Andrew who at sixty ish is still supported by the Crown with a dubious record for business even without considering the Epstein issues.

Pre Harry Meghan built a successful career and made a name for herself as an activist advocating for oppressed women , even speaking to the UN. Who shall we compare her with ? Andrew’s daughters , Kate who did nothing with her degree but patiently wait years for William to marry her .

To me both of them were anything but stereotypical royals. Harry seems to have waited patiently for William to secure the succession and duty done did what he said he would do, started to carve out his own niche and his own income despite opposition from the grey men at the palace.

I’d think a Republican would approve of this couple and their intention to support themselves and their stated intention to use their high profile to benefit their “causes” whilst also supporting themselves financially. A refreshing change from the hangers on , on the civil list.

I don’t see them harping on about privacy. I see them drawing a line between their public lives and their personal lives . The press don’t intrude on William and Kate and their children. There’s the odd clearly prearranged photo of the kids but otherwise they are left alone by the British media in their private lives yet Harry and Meghan were followed literally everywhere until the pressure became intolerable . I think they are looking for the sort of balance The Clooneys have. The kids left alone and their private life is just that but when they do want to promote something be it a worthy cause or a movie no one accuses them of the sort of motives Harry and Meghan are.

Maybe it is racism, outrage Harry didn’t marry a stereotypical princess , a young suitable girl to be moulded by the Firm but instead picked a woman his own age he felt was his equal . There’s clearly something about this couple that pushes buttons for people but I honestly don’t see what.

Edited at 03:41 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List