Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Jan 21, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
making49
Imagineer

making49's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Type 1 Diabetes car insurance

My DD is 47, diabetic for 37 and been driving since she was 17. She's only had one claim when her car was stolen 4 years ago. Her insurance with Direct Line is nearly £900 a year for a 4 year old Meriva, does that sound "normal"? If not, can anyone recommend which other companies they use please. She's in Northamptonshire.
Thanks
Old 24 Jan 21, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I can’t say if it’s normal or not, but although I’m older than your DD, I’ve been T1D for over 40 years and driving since 17. Mine is £350 p/a (but my car might be less risky, different postcode and DH being on the road insurance may also bring it down etc etc). I’ve never claimed.

I don’t know what a Meriva is but mine is a Peugeot 2008, four months old.

Has she done online comparison thingies?

Edited at 02:24 PM.
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzy1
Excited about Disney

My understanding is that your car insurance cannot be increased due to disability or health conditions, as it is disability discrimination. If the DVLA deem you fit to drive, then there should be no additional costs involved.
dizzy1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
making49
Imagineer

making49's Reviews
Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I can’t say if it’s normal or not, but although I’m older than your DD, I’ve been T1D for over 40 years and driving since 17. Mine is £350 p/a (but my car might be less risky, different postcode and DH being on the road insurance may also bring it down etc etc). I’ve never claimed.

I don’t know what a Meriva is but mine is a Peugeot 2008, four months old.

Has she done online comparison thingies?
She said she has to phone up when she tries the comparison sites, she has her dad on her policy and that brought it down to that price. Thanks for your reply.
Old 24 Jan 21, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
making49
Imagineer

making49's Reviews
Originally Posted by dizzy1 View Post
My understanding is that your car insurance cannot be increased due to disability or health conditions, as it is disability discrimination. If the DVLA deem you fit to drive, then there should be no additional costs involved.
Thanks, yes I remember seeing that.
Old 24 Jan 21, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

My son has Type 1 Diabetes has a multi car policy for the household from Admiral for him and his partner who has a car but is still trying to learn to drive ( lessons stopped by Covid)
Not sure what the latest renewal was but he said it was very reasonable
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dizzy1 View Post
That is true.

But it is also true, I believe, that a number of insurance companies simply won’t offer cover which leaves you with a smaller number to choose from. This generally means you do therefore pay more because perhaps the more competitive companies won’t cover you...

If this is fake news I am happy to be corrected!
Old 25 Jan 21, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by making49 View Post
My DD is 47, diabetic for 37 and been driving since she was 17. She's only had one claim when her car was stolen 4 years ago. Her insurance with Direct Line is nearly £900 a year for a 4 year old Meriva, does that sound "normal"? If not, can anyone recommend which other companies they use please. She's in Northamptonshire.
Thanks
Disability aside it also depends on a number of things . Her postcode for example she could be in a high risk area , how many named drivers on the policy .
Claims have to be declared for 5 years but I’d have thought it wouldn’t make much difference now .

Has she shopped around for quotes ? Because they vary so much .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List