Notices

Old 13 Aug 18, 02:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

New England Summer 2018: Day 16 - Long Pond And Sunset at Cadillac Mountain

Early wake ups yet again - apparently I kicked J a few times in the nights - whoops!

After breakfast we drove to Long Pond - it is used as a reservoir so no swimming allowed. The weather was overcast and there were spots of rain at times.

Our aim was to go up Perpendicular Trail to the top of Mansell Mountain.

We saw this tree trunk which reminded us of a bird!

Now the name of the trail gave a big hint - there were 500 rock steps (and no we didn't count but our guide book kindly informed us of the fact!)

For goat O it was easy. For me it was hard work but I like a challenge!

The first overlook.

The steps kept on coming. There were also ladders and bridges!

Made it - it took over an hour of hard climbing.

The mountain summit was at 289m!

We have seen an awful lot if trees over the last couple of weeks!

I would like to say that going down was easy - but the first half was over rock faces and the second half over rocky terrain.

The kids were way ahead (goats in a previous life!) and we were impressed that at one point where there was a choice of route O had written his name in the soil with a big arrow!

The walk was 6km and took us about 2 1/2 hours.

We decided to go to our favourite cafe in Southwest Harbor for lunch. It is a family run cafe and the staff are so nice!

J had a crab roll, O fish and chips, F had a grilled cheese and I had a veggie burger.

For dessert, the kids had a cookie ice cream sandwich each!

I had apple pie and J had a banana sundae.

The bill was $75.

We returned home and rested our weary legs!

At about 4pm we headed to Bar Harbor. Yesterday O had gone into the Peruvian shop and fallen in love with the stuffed alpacas. He said it was too expensive ($70) but we could see he really wanted one. It is rare that he asks for something.

We visited the shop but he still struggled with the cost (even though it would be us paying...).

So we wandered around a little. There had been 2 cruise ships but they had left by the time we were there.

O decided he would like one - he has an ikea christmas deer on his drawers in his room and he thought it would be a good replacement! He chose his alpaca and then the credit card fun started. We try to use a cash passport (a MasterCard) to avoid bank charges and our cards being cloned - has happened a few times even though we never let the card out of our sight!) However the sales person swiped it rather than using the pin way. It came up as a refund. He tried ringing Mastercard who says this happens with this type of card. I went to find wifi so I could see if I had had a refund. I hadn't. Eventually he tried by the pin method and it worked. I left my email address in case they had issues but as of now the refund is not showing but the payment is - as it should be!

We return home with a happy boy!

After a dinner made by F (alfredo pasta - her new favourite thing...) we headed back out to try to catch the sunset at Cadillac Mountain. This involved going on the 27mile loop road but thankfully on the two way section.

We stopped before the mountain as there was a stopping place and the sunset looked pretty good.

We drove up to the top. There were quite a few people there. It was a bit chilly but we enjoyed looking at the sunset.

Back at the house, the packing has almost been finished. I am just waiting for the last bit of washing to dry.

Tomorrow is the final part of our New England adventure - Plymouth.

Edited at 03:35 AM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 18, 03:30 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 13 Aug 18 3:30 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 18, 06:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

A really good walking day and what a beautiful sunset.
Old 13 Aug 18, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
It does make me smile when you refer to your family as goats - I’m picturing their movements across the rocky trails.

Gorgeous sunset photos. So much for not really getting sunsets on that coast!
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 18, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another great day

Joan
Old 13 Aug 18, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Excellent day - the sunset drive is now on our list!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 18, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Another great day...do we get to see the alpaca?
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 18, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Gorgeous pictures and that looks like a really good walk. I think my family are goats as well! Those cruise ships really make a difference in small plavpces, don’t they? Hope the alpaca is settling in
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
A really good walking day and what a beautiful sunset.
The sunset was a nice surprise!

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
It does make me smile when you refer to your family as goats - I’m picturing their movements across the rocky trails.

Gorgeous sunset photos. So much for not really getting sunsets on that coast!
They are goats though The sunset was a bonus!

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Another great day

Joan
Thank you!

Originally Posted by anji View Post
Excellent day - the sunset drive is now on our list!
That is so good to hear! Sunrise was too early so sunset was a great compromise!

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Another great day...do we get to see the alpaca?
I will try to get a photo later!

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Gorgeous pictures and that looks like a really good walk. I think my family are goats as well! Those cruise ships really make a difference in small plavpces, don’t they? Hope the alpaca is settling in
The alpaca is being very well looked after! Apparently September/October is the worst time for the cruise visitors! I guess the fall colours are the objective!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 18, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Campinggirl
Very Serious Dibber

Another good day and I'm impressed your teens like the hiking as well. We try to encourage our kids to walk / hike but I'm not sure they love it as much as we do!
Campinggirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List