Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 29 Jul 18, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
shalligan64
Gone all Goofy

yes very helpful

hollywood tour sounds ideal for what we want, also with the dylans tour we have booked (famous) we can cancel or amend to another tour so we will probably switch to same tour you did and kill two birds with one stone, gives us more time then to do other stuff.

thanks
shalligan64 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 18, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

Just read your trip report and thought it was great. Hopefully DW and I will be doing something similar next year so relying on these to assist in the planning. Thanks for posting.
Old 15 Aug 18, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
MichelleB
Imagineer

So would you say Mission Beach is more Newquay than Padstow?! I am trying to decide where to stay in San Diego for next year - September. I was looking at Catamaran Resort on Mission Bay.

PS. I grew up holidaying in Trevone and we go back every couple of years.

WDW Feb 2007 Bahama Bay
Beach Club/HRH/ Bella Piazza condo Oct 2010 New York April 2012
HRH and OKW August 2014. Boston, White Mts and Maine 2016
Planning for California Sept 2019
MichelleB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by MichelleB View Post
So would you say Mission Beach is more Newquay than Padstow?! I am trying to decide where to stay in San Diego for next year - September. I was looking at Catamaran Resort on Mission Bay.

PS. I grew up holidaying in Trevone and we go back every couple of years.
Trevone is really nice.

Firstly, I am a Country Boy that has lived his life on various RAF stations, Various flying dominated Army Bases and latterly, Cornwall for over 30 years. I do not like cities in the slightest, (whilst having to accept that many things I want to see are unfortunately in Cities).

Mission beach is a kind of long spit of land with sea on one side and a back lagoon on the other with an old fashioned fun park at the end (and a road that leaves it to go towards San Diego with ease). Everything with a sea or back bay view tends to be of very, very high quality (think Rock near Padstow in class, but more modern). Up the middle of the spit is the main road and on this, you can buy dogs, beer, burgers, beer, pizzas and more beer. When we were there at Easter, there were thousands of college types having an absolute ball of a time. They were rowdy, raucous and enjoying themselves. I never at any time felt uneasy and it was not unpleasant. It was simply not a family environment. Rentings on this road and its side streets were much, much cheaper.

My issue with Mission beach is simply that in comparison, we found central San Diego absolutely fabulous, in great repair, friendly, relaxed and classy. We stayed in Mission beach because of the Beach (Lovely), The proximity to Seaworld (good) and also the comparative nearness to Balboa park (awesome).
Whilst that all worked brilliantly for us, I would with hindsight have preferred the evening strolls around the USS Midway area, Seaport and central San Diego. As I said, I am not a City person.. and I loved it! In addition, parking at Balboa Park was in any case free and we only visited Seaworld the once. In addition,there are amazing beaches over on Coronado, North Island that are easily accessible from Central San Diego.

We made the wrong choice, but it was hardly a disaster. I simply would do it differently next time for the reasons that I have hopefully highlighted.

Hoping it helps you!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 03:50 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
MichelleB
Imagineer

Thanks for your insight, very helpful!

WDW Feb 2007 Bahama Bay
Beach Club/HRH/ Bella Piazza condo Oct 2010 New York April 2012
HRH and OKW August 2014. Boston, White Mts and Maine 2016
Planning for California Sept 2019
MichelleB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 18, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
beegnjasmum
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Great report, hoping to visit California in next few years and planning San Francisco, Anaheim and San Diego. Lots of great tips. Bet your 2 boys loved the drug bust, hilarious!
beegnjasmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 18, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Loved reading this, it has given me loads of ideas for next year so have been writing down hints and tips as I go. Definitely want to do Alcatraz, whale watching in Monterey and visit the Top Gun Bar (huge fans of the film!)
I’m a little concerned about doing Disney as I keep reading about the horrendous crowd levels, especially with the new Star Wars land opening. Although it seems silly to go all that way and not visit!
Thank you for posting 😃

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 18, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Fireworks
Excited about Disney

Great report David, we are considering the possibility of staying at Oceanside on the way to San Diego so it's good to read that you think it would be an ok place to visit
Fireworks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 18, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Fireworks View Post
Great report David, we are considering the possibility of staying at Oceanside on the way to San Diego so it's good to read that you think it would be an ok place to visit
You are very welcome. As said, a visit that we never intended and purely a good location to pick up our Gosandiego5 tickets. It was the lovely ladies at the pick up point that persuaded us to take a ‘quick look’.
On viewing, we realised that we were looking at a bit of a gem, given that it had long beaches, surf, a pier and we were ‘picking up good vibrations’ as the Beach boys allegedly sang ..
Plus the Kelly McGillis summer house from Top Gun. Whilst it certainly didn’t ‘take my breath away’, it was... recognisable and iconic.
(Very sorry about the music puns) .
On an as yet unplanned California 2nd trip, this will certainly feature!
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 18, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
A good read. Love the photo frames what a great way to remember every holiday.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List