Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 24 Aug 18, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Thanks everyone. I am still none the wiser! We have sailed with RCI several times, enough to make it up one level. The last one was the last Canaries cruise of the season on board Mariner. The food was a awful, basic cheap food like cottage pie! I wanted to order steak one night and the waiter said that was not a good idea! Also, we both agreed that it was just Butlins on sea.

So we thought that we wanted to try a cruise line with a smaller ship. However, probably the more expensive the cruise the better it is and I should give up on the idea of a nice cruise. ☹️
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 18, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Hil
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mskitty View Post
...I've sailed P&O previously but preferred Marella. The formality was taken down a notch compared to P&O without it being informal and we were still made to feel special by all the staff. ...
This pretty much echoes our (limited!) experience. We tried P&O first (Oceana), but I was hoping for something a bit less formal, so we tried Tui/Marella (on Discovery2). We preferred the Marella ship, relaxed feel and the fact that it was all inclusive, and found the food and entertainment about the same as P&O.

We're looking at booking another Marella cruise for next year, but wouldn't completely rule out P&O either.

I'm very tempted by some of the other cruise lines such as RCI and Norwegian but am apprehensive about the added costs, especially bar prices and tipping - but maybe I'm worrying unnecessarily?
Hil is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 18, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Hil View Post
I'm very tempted by some of the other cruise lines such as RCI and Norwegian but am apprehensive about the added costs, especially bar prices and tipping - but maybe I'm worrying unnecessarily?
I think where you are cruising may influence this as American departures seem to be better value. We’ve done the Caribbean three times with RCI and find it good value (usually around £500 per week pp). We always pre-pay our gratuities which adds another £100 approx between us and book a drink package when they’re on offer (30% off). We paid £1,100 each for a week with Marella albeit this included a flight to Corfu.
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 18, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

If you aren’t tied to school holidays there are bargains to be had. My mum likes MSC and has seen good prices with them.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 18, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

A lady from my work cruised on the Discovery and loved it, she said the food was amazing. I'd be open to trying the Discovery or 2, but no way would you get me on one of the older Marella ships. They look like converted fishing boats and are way too small for me!

We've done NCL twice and the food is fantastic. They are AI now when selling to the British market, so you don't need to worry about drinks and tips. My DH talks endlessly about the food on those cruises. It's not fancy smanchy but just really good. No formal nights, no set dining times and no stuffyness.

We have also done MSC and while the ship was stunning, the food and service was dire. So that's a never again one for us.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 18, 06:09 AM  
Link to this Post
scarecrow
Imagineer

scarecrow's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 9
Just booked on Marella all adult ship for next Easter, sailing on their newest ship Marella Explorer 2. I have to say it was the price that appealed to me, as it’s school holidays when I go. We’ve paid £1435 for a 7 night all inclusive cruise ina Junior Suite (huge balcony as it’s an ex celebrity ship) with 4 nights in Majorca and day flights from Doncaster.

By comparison NCL spirit cruise only for 11 nights in a balcony with drinks and tips is £2100 and an inside is £1500, no flights or hotels. A Caribbean 11 night cruise with 2 nights pre cruise and flights was coming in at £2200 with no drinks.

We will see what it’s like. Fingers crossed it’s okay.

Previously at Easter I’ve been on NCL and paid £850 for an inside cabin with drinks. So I wasn’t prepared to pay so much more even if the price of everything has gone up a bit.

Prices are per person.
1990. - somewhere on the 192,2006 - Country Inn and Suites LBK, 2007- LA and San Diego, 2008 - Regal Palms, 2009 - OKW, 2010- Yacht Club, 2011- DCL Magic - Med,2012 - Yacht Club, 2013 - Carnival Sunshine Med cruise, 2014 Carnival Breeze and the Yacht Club

Photo app trip reports Carnival Med Cruise and VA & BA UC & Club indexhttp://http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/reporter-index.php?userid=19933

Pre cruise Med http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...d+cruise+mouse
scarecrow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 18, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by cheekydeeky View Post
We’ve done the Freedom three times in the Caribbean and Splendour round the Greek Isles.

that we won’t enjoy them as much as RCI. I have noticed that Marella cruisers seem to be very defensive and love the cosy intimate feel of the ships .

First world problems
Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
Hehehe

We were on Mariner, we are having another go on Quantum next year!

Yeah, we too would like to try Norwegian, Celebrity and Princess too! we want to work our way through all the cruise companies! We are trying Carnival in October!

Just looked at Freedom and it looks a nice ship
You two need to do a comparison guide for Dibbers! Something easy that may just be your own personal opinion, but is really valuable.

Joa
Old 5 Oct 18, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
My sister likes Celebrity and Disney.

She's also been on P&O but prefers Celebrity.

My mum has been on RCI and detests them - funny how people love and loathe different lines!