Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 9 Oct 18, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

All 5 Boroughs - New York, September 18 - Day 3

Day 3 - September 28th

If you're anything like me, if your regular weather app isn't looking good you Google more to find one that's more optimistic. So although rain looked certain today, the duration and timings were open to speculation.

As it was I awoke to grey skies and precipitation, but by the time I left the hotel for breakfast only the grey skies were left...for now.

I walked across to 3rd Avenue and ate at the Bluebell Cafe, pancakes and bacon and some very good coffee for $20 including tip, in very pleasant surroundings. I'd recommend it.

Then it was back on the subway and uptown to the Roosevelt Island tramway, something else I'd managed to miss previously. I rode across to the island and walked down to Four Freedoms Park, passing the old smallpox hospital and looking across to the United Nations buildings and the US Coast Guard boats providing security on the East River. I then started to walk back up the island with the intention of reaching the northern tip. Unfortunately the weather took a turn for the worse and cut that plan short. Instead, after walking past the shops on Main Street I doubled back and jumped back on the subway after grabbing a coffee in Starbucks, mainly to justify using their restroom.

Next destination was Jackson Heights, where I followed some advice from TA and headed up to 37th Avenue and strolled along marveling as Asia become Latin America. The shame was I wasn't at all hungry and so couldn't stop to try what I'm sure would have been some very different cuisine. Such an interesting cultural experience and barely a word of English heard for several blocks.

Back onto the 7 train to Mets- Willet's Point and a walk through Corona Park to the Queen's Museum. The New York panorama was great, but apart from items from the World's Fair there was barely anything else to see as they were setting up new displays.

I was also in the area because I had Mets tickets, so as the museum trip was shorter than anticipated I was forced to adjourn to the Mikkeller Brewing bar at Citi Field, where a mango weisse beer and a lager helped pass the time until I could enter the stadium.

I'm no baseball expert, but enjoy watching the game and even I could tell the Mets were poor. They lost 8-1 to the Marlins, although I left when the score was 4-1, along with many others. The best thing was the hot dog.

Back to the hotel on the subway and in bed by 10.30. The plan for tomorrow is to head to Brooklyn for the Brooklyn Flea and Green-Wood Cemetery and more walking. Only the 21,000 steps today.

Edited at 10:09 PM.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 18, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

I loved the Roosevelt Tram - such an oasis of quiet compared to the hustle and bustle of Manhattan!

You have certainly done things I have never heard of! So interesting to read about them!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 18, 12:28 AM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
great photos
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List