Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 9 Oct 18, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

All 5 Boroughs - New York, September 18 - Day 4

Day 4 - September 29th

A much better start, weather wise, this morning and another trip to the Bluebell Cafe for breakfast, mainly because I like their coffee. Eggs Benedict this morning with a side of toast. Very nice but I'm starting to think these bigger breakfasts don't agree with me anymore as I do feel so bloated afterwards. Maybe just a breakfast sandwich tomorrow.

Then it was on the subway to Brooklyn and the Brooklyn Flea at Industry City. What can I say but disappointing. Not many stalls that took me all of ten minutes to wander around. The Industry City complex had more to see.

But then the day picked up as I took the short walk to Green-Wood Cemetery. What a great place to stroll, and stroll I did for a couple of hours in the sunshine and still barely covered a fifth of the place. Some of those monuments and mausoleums must be worth many times more than my house. I highly recommend it.

The extra short Brooklyn Flea visit left me with time on my schedule. I realised I would be going past the Staten Island Ferry Terminal on the subway back into Manhattan and so decided to get off there and get on board.

I did this for three reasons...

1) I've never done it.

2) It gave me an opportunity to sit down.

3) It meant I could visit all 5 boroughs this trip.

So I made a quick return journey, snapping some pictures of Lady Liberty en route.

Then it was back to the hotel for a change of t-shirt, to charge my phone and have a sit down, only to find out it hadn't been serviced yet. Don't you just hate that, trying to sort yourself out knowing you'll be disturbed any minute, as I was.

I made myself scarce for twenty minutes, parking myself in one of the hotel's common areas and reinforcing the fact that I'm neither young enough or trendy enough to stay here.

Back in the room again I put my feet up for half an hour then headed to my second tall building of the trip, the Top of the Rock. I walked the twenty or so blocks there and battled the crowds to get some pictures as the sun set. What a bear pit, but a great view when you could see it.

From there I walked to 11th Avenue where I ate a burger at Genuine Roadside at Gotham West and had some very nice pecan and pistachio ice cream from the Ample Hills Creamery to finish off.

Then it was back to the hotel and bed.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 18, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

I have the exact same photo of the ESB - such an iconic image!

Shame the flea market was disappointing but the rest of the day looks like it went well,

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 18, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Green wood cemetery looks interesting! Fantastic that there is a Ample hills. Hope its not too cold for ice cream in Feb and we can get one 🍦
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 18, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Minnie Mum View Post
Green wood cemetery looks interesting! Fantastic that there is a Ample hills. Hope its not too cold for ice cream in Feb and we can get one 🍦
Nice and warm inside Gotham West
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 18, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
another full day
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List