Notices
Itineraries Post your Trip Itineraries here.

Old 13 Oct 18, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
arisser
Proud to wear my Ears

Help me decide between 2 itineraries!

Travelling solo from 28/2/19 to 10/3/19, staying on-site at All Star Sports. It's my first time in Orlando! Originally the plan was to do Disney only and I had a draft itinerary all ready to go. As time goes on, I'm starting to second guess this decision - I don't know when or if I'll ever return to Orlando so should I include Universal as well? As a teenager I was a HUGE Harry Potter fan and I always dreamed of going. I know seeing all the HP stuff will make me feel super nostalgic and I think I'll love it from an atmosphere point of view. However, I'm not a big fan of 'big' rides at all. I'm a bit of a wimp and don't know if Universal will be a waste of money/time away from Disney if I'm unable to ride a lot of the rides. Obviously, there's a cost implication in terms of Universal tickets and transport to and from Universal Studios as well. I'm happy to budget for this but only if it's going to be worth it!

So, with all of this in mind, I'd love to hear your thoughts on my two itinerary options to help me make up my mind.

Option 1: Disney Only
Thurs 28th - Arrive in evening, check-in, dinner at Disney Springs
Fri 1st - Magic Kingdom
Sat 2nd - Hollywood Studios, explore Disney Springs
Sun 3rd - Epcot, explore Boardwalk resort, dinner at Beaches and Cream
Mon 4th - Blizzard Beach, Hollywood Studios for Fantasmic
Tues 5th - Morning and Afternoon at Animal Kingdom, back to hotel, return to Epcot for Illuminations and evening EMH
Wed 6th - Lie-in, Afternoon resort hopping, return to Animal Kingdom for Rivers of Light
Thurs 7th - Shopping at outlets, Disney After Hours event at Magic Kingdom
Fri 8th - Epcot for Flower and Garden Festival
Sat 9th - Four Parks, One Day challenge
Sun 10th - Revisit favourite park/attraction, last minute shopping, travel home in evening.

Option 2: Disney and Universal
Thurs 28th - Arrive in evening, check-in, dinner at Disney Springs
Fri 1st - Magic Kingdom
Sat 2nd - Hollywood Studios
Sun 3rd - Epcot
Mon 4th - Universal Park Hopper
Tues 5th - Animal Kingdom
Wed 6th - Universal Park Hopper
Thurs 7th - Shopping at outlets, Disney After event at Magic Kingdom
Fri 8th - Epcot for Flower and Garden Festival
Sat 9th - Back to Universal if needed/Four Parks, One Day Challenge if Universal finished.
Sun 10th - Revisit favourite park/attraction, last minute shopping, travel home in evening.

Obviously option 1 is my more relaxing (and cheaper!) option. I'd get to see a lot more of WDW outside of just the parks with this option.
Option 2 would mean missing out on visiting some of the resorts and Blizzard Beach, but these aren't 'must-dos' for me. Help me, Dibbers! I keep going back and forth trying to decide.
arisser is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post

I think for a fan simply exploring the HP areas could take up a day. I wouldn’t class any of the HP rides as big rides either so you should manage all of them.

There are quite a lot of simulator rides so nothing to scary there. I would class the Hulk and Rip Ride Rocket as the two biggest rides, I won’t do either of them but I still have loads of other things to do. DH thinks we should try the Hulk next year but I think he can go on his own.

The cost of the tickets is a factor. Last year we were going to do both for a week each but the expense on wasted tickets made us to decide to only do one. Next trip we have decided to splash out on both as DH really wants to go back to universal.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I too am not a fan of big rides but can and do all of the Harry Potter stuff.

As you’ve said you are a huge Harry Potter fan, I truly couldn’t imagine going to Orlando and not visiting universal in your case.

It is without doubt the most well done ‘land’ in any theme park and as a HP enthusiast you will notice all of the special little effects that lots of people wouldn’t notice I’m sure - I fully expect you to be blown away by that and for it to be a trip highlight!

Definitely go for the universal option - you won’t be disappointed I promise!
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
If you have no plans to return (that will likely change once you've been) I would definitely go for option 2. Theres not really much to explore at the Boardwalk and it may not be warm enough for BB (we've been in February and only 1 day was warm enough for a waterpark).
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
philinmerthyr
Imagineer

From what you say, you’ll regret not spending time at universal. Why not spend a week at the Disney hotel then 2 or 3 nights at Cabana Bay. You’ll get early entry to the universal parks.

Also it’s mardi Gras time at Universal which is a superb event.
Old 14 Oct 18, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Sherman
Getting Excited

I love both itineraries! Option 1 definitely gives you more chill time. Would you be happy to be on your feet all day in the parks? If so, option 2 means no regrets around Harry Potter. If you think you’d rather have shorter days in the park and more time relaxing, I’d say option 1 and make the most of seeing the Disney parks. So I’m well and truly on the fence... if it was me and my potentially only visit and solo (I.e. not having to worry about other people’s level of tiredness etc) I’d go option 2.

I agree with the poster above, if you go with itinerary 2 have you considered staying at a universal hotel for the earlier access to the parks?
Sherman is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
arisser
Proud to wear my Ears

Wow, a pretty unanimous response!

Thanks so much, I think I'm going to go for Universal as well - so exciting!
arisser is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 18, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I am pleased that you are going with option2. My wife is very much an avoider of ‘big rides’. At universal she will happily do every one of the ‘virtual’ rides, particularly liking All Harry P, Simpson’s and Spoderman.

You may well find (like many DIBBERS), that the lure of a return or even several, is very strong indeed.

The Orlando area is fortunate to have 3 amazing franchises plus numerous other attractions outside of these. Next year is our families 10th visit to the USA (my 11th) and on all but one, we have spent a part in Orlando. We no longer even visit Disney, even though it was Disney that got us to go in the first place. Just to throw a spanner in the works... Discovery Cove is always our ‘must do, number 1 day in Orlando!

Edited at 10:01 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List