Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 16 Oct 18, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ariel85 View Post
We were at Bruges at the weekend, just for 1 night. It's a beautiful city and easy to walk around. We had beautiful weather (sunny and 23 degrees) so it was lovely just mooching around and popping in to the shops. Didn't do a canal tour as the queues were quite long and although we did the clock tower (The Belfry) at 10am on Sunday, we still had to queue for 40ish minutes to get in. The stairs going up are really quite narrow and so they limit the number of people allowed in at once. It ends up being one in one out. I suspect the lovely weather meant the queues were longer. You can't pre book and we were probably in and out in 30 mins. You can take as long as you like though (once you get in!).

We got a box of 30ish chocolate for 10 euros which I didn't think was too bad - we could choose the selection. Would definitely shop around though! I'd also recommend Chez Albert for waffles which is just off the main square - they were absolutely delicious!

Hope you have a lovely time, I would definitely go back!
Thank you so much, that was really helpful. If the tower has a long queue I guess we will have to give it a miss sadly.

Can you remember the name of the shop where you got the chocolates? That sounds very reasonable. Was hoping to bring some back as xmas gifts.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 18, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Interested in these tips as we're going on the train for the day from Brussels in November. Have been looking at the boat trips - seems to be a non-raining thing to do, so hopefully it will be fine. Will definitely investigate the chip museum! Thanks

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 18, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Ariel85
Getting Excited

Mobile

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
Thank you so much, that was really helpful. If the tower has a long queue I guess we will have to give it a miss sadly.

Can you remember the name of the shop where you got the chocolates? That sounds very reasonable. Was hoping to bring some back as xmas gifts.
I can! But only because I have the box sitting next to me 😊 It was Pralinique at 35 Katelijnestraat. It was one of the first ones we went in as it was near our hotel but ended up going back there as they seemed to have a good selection. As the name suggests there was a bit of a bias towards praline!

The tower was good but I wouldn't waste your time on it if you know what I mean. If the queue is at the top of the stairs it will be about 40 mins. When we left the queue was all the way down the stairs and out in to the courtyard. They must have been there ages!

I know you are tight on time but I'd also recommend the windmill walk which is along the canal to the right of the city (as you look at a map). It was a nice way to escape the crowds for a bit! Minnewater park was also pretty. I don't think you can go wrong with just wandering around though, so much to look at. The churchs also all seemed to be open so you can pop in to those as well as you come across them.
Ariel85 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 18, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
You’ve received the advice that I could give but just wanted to say that we’ve been to Bruges twice and are going back next year, I just love the city - we just love walking around and talking in all the lovely buildings, then stopping at a cafe and enjoying a Belgian Tripel at a street table, watching the world go by.
You will have a great time there

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 18, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

Nothing to add, but am on same cruise. Bruges is lovely, can't wait to return 😁
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 18, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ariel85 View Post
I can! But only because I have the box sitting next to me 😊 It was Pralinique at 35 Katelijnestraat. It was one of the first ones we went in as it was near our hotel but ended up going back there as they seemed to have a good selection. As the name suggests there was a bit of a bias towards praline!

The tower was good but I wouldn't waste your time on it if you know what I mean. If the queue is at the top of the stairs it will be about 40 mins. When we left the queue was all the way down the stairs and out in to the courtyard. They must have been there ages!

I know you are tight on time but I'd also recommend the windmill walk which is along the canal to the right of the city (as you look at a map). It was a nice way to escape the crowds for a bit! Minnewater park was also pretty. I don't think you can go wrong with just wandering around though, so much to look at. The churchs also all seemed to be open so you can pop in to those as well as you come across them.
Thank you, very helpful with knowing the queue times relative to where it ends! I've also made a note of the chocolate shop, if the prices offend me on the main square I will definitley go there. I don't actually like praline, but that's a good thing as it will stop me eating all the presents!
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 18, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by disney_l81 View Post
Nothing to add, but am on same cruise. Bruges is lovely, can't wait to return 😁
Oh are you, on Independence of the Seas? I'm excited!
Old 17 Oct 18, 01:19 AM  
Link to this Post
TGT
Imagineer

I'd say an hour for the chip museum, bit longer if you have time to eat them. Gift shop is a bit lacking. If time is tight you could whizz around in half an hour if the price not too high. We took our time and took pictures

Haven't done the tower in years so wouldn't like to guess how long, sorry, I see someone else has. I wouldn't waste your time queuing for long, there are a lot of shops! You can always go back. About a 7 hour drive from Birmingham, back around the M25 was worse

Di Gorton
http://www.villasoutherndunes.com

Villa Southern Dunes

Modern Disney-themed villa in the Southern Dunes golf community * Private heated west-facing pool * Sleeps 10* Room for all with sofa, dining & poolside seating for 10 * 2 ensuite doubles (king & queen) * 2 Disney-themed twins * 2 Lounges * 7 Flatscreen TVs * Great games room & amazing dressing up rail

Click >here< to see our Dibb Advert
Email: info@villasoutherndunes.com Florida State License: DWE6312923

Edited at 01:29 AM.
TGT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 18, 01:23 AM  
Link to this Post
TGT
Imagineer

Lollipops - animal shapes, they did have the hot chocolate ones too, one shop had say 5 for a deal hence shipping around but I couldn't tell you which one, sorry

Di Gorton
http://www.villasoutherndunes.com

Villa Southern Dunes

Modern Disney-themed villa in the Southern Dunes golf community * Private heated west-facing pool * Sleeps 10* Room for all with sofa, dining & poolside seating for 10 * 2 ensuite doubles (king & queen) * 2 Disney-themed twins * 2 Lounges * 7 Flatscreen TVs * Great games room & amazing dressing up rail

Click >here< to see our Dibb Advert
Email: info@villasoutherndunes.com Florida State License: DWE6312923

TGT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 18, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
Oh are you, on Independence of the Seas? I'm excited!
Yep can't wait. Not been on Indy since she was refurbed. We are also very excited
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List