Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 22 Oct 18, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
choccielover
Imagineer

Broken toll booth - what to do!

On our first night as we came off the 417 into celebration (I think) the toll booth (exact change or sunpass only so unmanned) was broken.

We went through the exact change part and the bucket for the change was full of quarters that were not feeding through.

We put our $1.75 (or whatever it was) in there and pressed the button for the receipt (which never came) and obviously the sign kept flashing how much we needed to pay but it just didn’t work so we drove on

So do I need to call Alamo and explain the situation? Will the sunpass have kicked in and so do I need to turn this off again as we are paying cash at the numerous other tolls we are going through.

Just conscious of the $100 fine for non payment though the sensible part of me says that once they realised the booth was broken they would “forgive” non payers who were unable to use it and not issue fines?

I need to call Alamo don’t i 🙄
choccielover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
The worst that will happen is that you will trigger the Alamo daily admin fee of $3.95 plus the toll charge. It was only $1 through that toll in May. You will not be fined and most likely if there's a technical fault the camera may not have worked anyway.

You can't switch off Sunpass as such in Florida as all hire cars work on "toll by plate". Pay cash in future if you like and you'll have no more admin fees from Alamo. If they do charge you it will hit your CC in about 6 weeks time.

Absolutely no need to call anyone.

Mick
Old 22 Oct 18, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
choccielover
Imagineer

Mobile

Great

Thanks for that. I’ll be like Elsa and “let it go” now then and enjoy the rest of the holiday 👍
choccielover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
I've posted this photo maybe 50 times over the years. Is it familiar?

Junction 2 off the 417 on to Celebration Avenue

Mick
Old 22 Oct 18, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Have a read of this website. Tells you about the rare "cash only" tolls. Then click on "Traveller Information" then "Rental vehicles" - all you need to know.

sunpass/en/about/whe...eSunPass.shtml

Mick

Edited at 10:15 AM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
choccielover
Imagineer

Mobile

Yup that’s the one. Pesky beast

Thanks for the info, very helpful
Old 22 Oct 18, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Conjuror
Gone all Goofy

Originally Posted by choccielover View Post
On our first night as we came off the 417 into celebration (I think) the toll booth (exact change or sunpass only so unmanned) was broken.

We went through the exact change part and the bucket for the change was full of quarters that were not feeding through.

We put our $1.75 (or whatever it was) in there and pressed the button for the receipt (which never came) and obviously the sign kept flashing how much we needed to pay but it just didn’t work so we drove on

So do I need to call Alamo and explain the situation? Will the sunpass have kicked in and so do I need to turn this off again as we are paying cash at the numerous other tolls we are going through.

Just conscious of the $100 fine for non payment though the sensible part of me says that once they realised the booth was broken they would “forgive” non payers who were unable to use it and not issue fines?

I need to call Alamo don’t i 🙄
The same thing happen to me with this exit toll on the 9th Sept, but have not been billed for this exit toll although the 2 tolls booths previous to this exit toll where I paid cash are on my eTolls receipt from Avis. I am in the process of claiming the cost back from Avis.
I can only assume that the toll authorities know about this exit toll hence no charge on my eTolls receipt from Avis.

Edited at 11:32 AM.
Conjuror is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

This is just one of the reasons I just drive thro all the tolls with an Alamo car. For a maximum admin charge of $19.95 for my holiday duration, (plus the toll I would be paying anyway). It saves any hassle...I’m there to enjoy my holiday not worry about tolls.
It’s $4 less than a days parking at Disney, so not worth stressing over
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List