Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Oct 18, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Caroian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by COL41 View Post
on MSE I read that the legal insurance may not cover all the legal costs if VW win. Not sure if that was Leigh Day or slater and Gordon tho who are both taking it on
This does apply to Slater Gordon too. You have to read all the small print to see it, but we decided against joining partly for this reason.

Also, as another poster has pointed out, we did not really suffer major material losses. Our Tiguan was "fixed" when in for something else (without our prior approval - my main annoyance!) and suffered loss of power afterwards as a result - losing power whilst turning right across traffic, despite foot to the floor, is never good. Plus quantifiable drop in fuel efficiency (the only bit where we did lose out as spent more on fuel). However we no longer have the car and it did not affect the trade in value. So we decided not to pursue the claim - it does feel a bit like going after compensation just because you can.
Caroian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
DH decided against it for the same reasons.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scouser View Post
funny enough i signed up this morning with slater gorden, and it does state.there are no fees and you will be liable for no costs even if they lose. i have a golf bluemotion and i havent had the fix done either as there has been far to many horror stories about poor performance after the work has been carried out.
Is this the SG fees it is referring to? Who do SG say will pay VW's costs if they win?
I would ask them to put in writing that you will nor incur ANY costs from any one no matter what. i.e. a legal guarantee that you will not be out of pocket in any circumstances.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Glad you were happy, I suspect there was something more involved if the fix at an independent was over £1k. The main dealer price for a Golf Mk6 (2013) diesel EGR is £240 and takes no more than 1 hour for a garage to change.

Sounds like you had more issues than just the EGR blocking up. Unfortunate but unlikely to be related directly to the fix applied by VW.
On the widely used 1.6TDi it's a £1000+ job at a VAG franchise dealer. After failing shortly after the emissions software update some were quietly being done as goodwill even before the trust-building measure was announced.

It's not considered practical to clean them either - they'r fully integrated and water cooled. The later VAG diesel EGR's are very difficult to get at and removal involves major spanner work including dropping the exhaust, removal of the DPF, disconnecting a drive shaft and dropping the engine slightly
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 18, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you Bobbins. That’s the model we had and we have every faith in our garage. I’m not the type to go for compensation for the sake of it but I’ve genuinely never had a car with so many problems, and expected far more from a three year old car from a main dealer, that we’d paid top dollar for and sold at a significant loss. It was never our intention to only keep it for three years but had completely lost faith
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 18, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
scouser
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bobbins View Post
On the widely used 1.6TDi it's a £1000+ job at a VAG franchise dealer. After failing shortly after the emissions software update some were quietly being done as goodwill even before the trust-building measure was announced.

It's not considered practical to clean them either - they'r fully integrated and water cooled. The later VAG diesel EGR's are very difficult to get at and removal involves major spanner work including dropping the exhaust, removal of the DPF, disconnecting a drive shaft and dropping the engine slightly
yep spot on mine was £1000 and quoted 7 hours labour with my normal VAG dealer, from all the research i did it,s a pig of a job on the 1.6tdi.
Old 23 Oct 18, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Its not that bad, I have changed one for a friend on their driveway and it took 3 hours there without ramps etc or having done one before. This is why I know first hand how long it should take with the right tools and how much the part was.

Not surprised a main dealer would list it as taking 7 hours as that is dictated by VW themselves and aimed at a technician doing it and have a lot of contingency built in. An independent shouldn't be charging VW book hours though, they should be quoting what it really takes, which is considerably less. I'd be very disappointed in my indie did this (he doesn't though).

Also changed them on Saabs, Vauxhalls, Mercedes and Seats for friends as well which is why its well known the failures happen regardless of the fixes VW are doing. They are an unfortunate consequence of manufacturers trying to meet the emissions laws.

Moot point really though as you no longer have the car and are happy with what your indie charges.

Personally I hope the class action doesn't succeed as it sets the wrong precedent for our future culture. But equally I hope no individual has to burden any costs as being part of the action, that should be borne by the firm who is trying to take advantage of the situation.

Edited at 10:18 AM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 18, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Its not that bad, I have changed one for a friend on their driveway and it took 3 hours there without ramps etc or having done one before. This is why I know first hand how long it should take with the right tools and how much the part was.

Not surprised a main dealer would list it as taking 7 hours as that is dictated by VW themselves and aimed at a technician doing it and have a lot of contingency built in. An independent shouldn't be charging VW book hours though, they should be quoting what it really takes, which is considerably less. I'd be very disappointed in my indie did this (he doesn't though).

Also changed them on Saabs, Vauxhalls, Mercedes and Seats for friends as well which is why its well known the failures happen regardless of the fixes VW are doing. They are an unfortunate consequence of manufacturers trying to meet the emissions laws.

Moot point really though as you no longer have the car and are happy with what your indie charges.

Personally I hope the class action doesn't succeed as it sets the wrong precedent for our future culture. But equally I hope no individual has to burden any costs as being part of the action, that should be borne by the firm who is trying to take advantage of the situation.
Some of these EGR valves are tucked away down the back of the engine behind the DPF. There is simply no way you are doing one of these without having access to a vehicle lift. Removal of the drive shaft and DPF is required and the EGR is removed from under the vehicle. I have done several of these and i can assure you it is not a simple job. Some EGR valves are fitted at the top of the engine and are quite easy to access, I would hazard a guess this is of the type you fitted. I don't think it's fair telling people that an EGR should take no longer than an hours labour and the parts are only 1 - £200, when in reality some take several hours and cost far more.

Dave
sunseeker is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 18, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Agree, some do, I have looked at some and told friends to go to an indie as its too much to do without all the right equipment. I have done one personally on this engine. Big difference to a generalisation, which I didn't do, as you are suggesting I did.

Anyway, move on.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 18, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by sunseeker View Post
Some of these EGR valves are tucked away down the back of the engine behind the DPF. There is simply no way you are doing one of these without having access to a vehicle lift. Removal of the drive shaft and DPF is required and the EGR is removed from under the vehicle. I have done several of these and i can assure you it is not a simple job. Some EGR valves are fitted at the top of the engine and are quite easy to access, I would hazard a guess this is of the type you fitted. I don't think it's fair telling people that an EGR should take no longer than an hours labour and the parts are only 1 - £200, when in reality some take several hours and cost far more.

Dave
My EGR valve cost £650 to replace, must’ve been a tricky one!
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List