Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Jun 18, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
scarling10
Excited about Disney

Keeping connected, WIFI/Date question

Other than free wifi in hotels etc, what have people found to be the best way to get wifi/data in the parks and further afield in Tokyo..?

Would love to hear some options that people have experience with.

Thanks!
scarling10 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 18, 06:13 AM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Hi, I'll be using Japan wireless as recommended by Silvercat on here, as they are also recommended for heavy usage.
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 18, 07:05 AM  
Link to this Post
scarling10
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Is that simcard based?
scarling10 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 18, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Caroian
Imagineer

Hire a portable WiFi device. One of the best things we did. We picked it up from the Post Office at the airport on arrival, and popped it back in the post box there before checking in for our flight home.

We used Japan WiFi buddy as it was the best value at the time for our expected data needs japanwifibuddy/ We had no issues at all with it (and we use a lot of data!) There area number of options though and a quick Google of "Japan portable WiFi hire" or similar will give you more choices to compare.
Caroian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 18, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
scarling10
Excited about Disney

Mobile

How much was that out of interest? =) thanks
Old 27 Jun 18, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
scarling10
Excited about Disney

Can devices like the japan wifi-buddy or ninja wifi softbank have multiple devices connected at once? Would like somebody to confirm before i rented as the websites dont state it that clearly that they do...

Thanks
Old 28 Jun 18, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Am thinking of going the new SIM route - I only want to use my phone really and quite fancy not carrying about another device, with another charger etc.
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 18, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Caroian
Imagineer

Sorry Scarling, I did not see your previous question about cost. I think we paid around £45 for 3 weeks but I'd have to go and look it up to be sure.

You can definitely connect multiple devices with Japan Wifi Buddy. I think it is up to 10 devices. We had 7 connected in total, although only using a maximum of 3 at a time.

With regards to carrying an extra device, that is a good point. However the Pocket routers are smaller than an average Smart phone and we found the charge easily lasted all day. (Although we carried a portable charger for our phones anyway, so no extra hassle).
Caroian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 18, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Dancin
Imagineer

I found this thread really informative as DW and I are hoping to go in October 2019 when the Rugby World Cup is on.

Thanks
Old 2 Jul 18, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Dancin
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
Am thinking of going the new SIM route - I only want to use my phone really and quite fancy not carrying about another device, with another charger etc.
I assume you have to get your phoned unlocked to go down SIM card route?