Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 17 Jun 18, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Cooking Brisket

DW likes to go to Smithfield Market to buy meat (itself a tip if you're close enough, comes back with some amazing deals). This time we stocked up she came back with 3 free vacuum packed brisket joints. I love it but had never cooked before, 2 in the freezer and put one on.

Ended up with an unprepared for very quick rub of salt, paprika, sugar and oregano. Was mainly interested in getting the cooking right.

After reading around I put it in two layers of foil in a baking tray at 110. After 5 hours it was cooked but fat not rendered enough so I covered again and did a speculative 45 mins at 180.

After this it was amazing. Will fiddle around with the cooking a bit but that seemed to work. What should I he using next time as prep to get a really powerful BBQ style rub into the meat? Will add garlic this time (left off in case the dog ended up with a first failed attempt), what else is essential?
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 18, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We love brisket! I must confess, we just buy a bbq rub (the Rye Spice Company) from Costco. I had a look at the ingredients and it is salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and chilli powder. I like it on brisket and also use it on slow cooker pork shoulder for my pulled pork. I’m sure there are lots of other brands you could buy but the best part about making your own is that it is to your preferred taste. Happy bbqing!
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 18, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Borderbairn
Imagineer

I always put mine in the slow cooker with onions and root vegetables, and a little stock. Comes out melt in the mouth gorgeous and lovely gravy too.

Southern Dunes 2006 & 2007 Highlands Reserve & Hard Rock Hotel May & Sep 2008 The Sanctuary West Haven 2009 Freedom of the Seas & Doubletree Resort 2010 Highlands Reserve May 2012 Windsor Hills 2014 New York 2016
Borderbairn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 18, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I always add a good couple of teaspoonscof liquidcsmoke along with BBQ rub and cook in the slow cooker for hours
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Thank you all I'm going to try another piece this weekend and prepare a more complicated rub of some sort (researching some US BBQ tips plus the thoughts above). I'll let you know how I get on!

Edited at 02:31 PM.
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

I smoke mine. I use a recipe from The Smoker King online. I've tried a couple and this one is the best of all for flavour. I've used different chips for smoking and like anything but mesquite. For some reason, I always have an aftertaste with mesquite. I prefer oak, cherry and apple, although the oak is a bit of a stronger flavour to hold up to the brisket.

Recipe for the rub: (attributed to Smoker King)

1/4-Cup Brown Sugar
1/4-Cup Salt
2-Tbsp Chili Powder
1-Tbsp Garlic Powder
2-Tbsp Black Pepper
2-Tbsp Dried Mustard
1-Tbsp Cumin
2-Tbsp Paprika

He has some great tips on his website for smoking all different meats.

Edited at 02:47 PM.
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 18, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

I always use this recipe for brisket

jamieoliver/recipes/...risket-chilli/
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 18, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Mobile

Update I didn't get the time for this last weekend but all set for brisket today. I'm going to do something similar to angelbabes's Smoker King version above as that sounds most like what I'm after but I'll improvise with some of the other tips too Will update later how I get on
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
Old 30 Jun 18, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Mobile

This one looks a wonderful piece of meat. It was in the freezer though so smoking may be one process too many and I'm going to focus on the cooking and the rub before adding that to the mix. Made the Smoker King rub, everything OK except had run out of brown sugar so white stands in. Have to say the rub smelled and tasted delicious

So I prepped the joint and it looks good:

Only to realise there's one thing required on the recipe that we're out of. No tin foil and no opportunity to pop out. So into the fridge it goes and it can marinade overnight.

DW bringing foil back this evening and I'll be putting it in the oven first thing tomorrow
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
Old 1 Jul 18, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Just taken it out after 5hrs at 110 (wrapped) and an hour at 180c (unwrapped) and its come out lovely. I cooked it fat side down.

The rub tastes great although using a hot chili powder it maybe only needs one spoon next time as its come out unusually spicy. One piece left from our stock and next time I'll make that change, trim the fat cap to @5mm and hopefully try to smoke it too