General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 3 Jul 18, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Toddler Trials sponsored by Timmies - Canada 2018 Day 2 African Lion Safari

Toddler Trials sponsored by Timmies - Canada 2018
Day 2 Lions and Tigers and...poo African Lion Safari

I’m Emily, my husband is Gary and this was our first overseas holiday with our 17 month Libby. We visited family near Toronto and spent a few days in Montreal too.

Today was one of my favourite days of our trip!

We left at 8.30 this morning, we were off on Safari . We went to the nearest Timmies drive through for a French vanilla and iced chocolate cappuccino. This is the only time I remember Gary getting a chocolate one so he must have preferred the normal cap flavour.

We seemed to be going in the opposite direction to the traffic heading into Toronto, so that was good as I thought rush hour might scupper our plans to get there early. The scenery around us gradually got greener, we were in farm country now with lots of fancy looking golf clubs too. If you watch The Walking Dead, I saw so many barns that reminded me of Hershel’s farm in season 2! I’m a big fan so thought this was pretty cool. We also came across some roundabouts which was strange, not used to seeing them over there.

Lovely looking farm houses everywhere!

We got there about 9.30 and joined a queue of 2 cars. The queue beside us had 2 yellow school buses waiting to get in. I thought this might mean the place would be really busy, it was the last few weeks of term over there so school trip season (they have similar school holidays as we do in Scotland). They didn’t bother us at all though, they had their own safari buses and they didn’t come into the playpark or splash park (they were Mennonites/modern Amish we think).

We paid at the little window, it was $85.77 inc tax which was £50.26 on the clarity card.

Just a little note - we use the clarity card for the majority of our spends when we go abroad, to save carrying too much cash and also because the exchange rate is so good with it. It is a credit card but I just log on every few days and pay money to it from our savings, so we don’t pay any interest. We find it the best way to spend $$.

At the entry window, the lady explained we were free to drive through the safari as many times as we wished but we could also buy tickets for the bus at the main office if we didn’t want to take our own car. We didn’t want to risk the hire car in the safari as I’d read some reviews on trip advisor about the mischievous monkeys, so we parked up and went to buy tickets for the first bus safari of the day at 10.15. It was only a couple of dollars each extra. The girl was really friendly, she asked where in Scotland we were from which amazed us as usually people guess Irish or English. Turns out she had family in Dundee so understood our accent well.

We went to explore and play in the swing park as we still had half an hour or so before our safari. This was a great park, it was really quiet since it was still so early.

We also admired the ‘splash pad’ over the fence, the water wasn’t turned on yet but it looked fantastic. Gary’s aunt works in a school and had been here on a school trip, she’d said before we left that morning it was a bit more than a splash pad and she was right! It looked so much fun.

Libby crawled around the tunnels and didn’t want to leave when we had to go back over to go on Safari. She doesn’t understand ‘we’ll come back later’ yet, so we had to grab her despite her protests and she wasn’t amused !

It was getting very hot now so I nipped in and bought 2 bottles of water before we got on the bus. We also had to cross the car park on our way anyway, so just nipped the buggy back in the car as we couldn’t take it on the bus.

Going through the gates

Show me the animals!

The safari was absolutely brilliant! I don’t have detailed notes as there was too much to see, so I’ll let the pictures show you.

When we got to the monkey section, we saw this minivan being pulled apart! It was quite funny but not for the poor people inside. Hope it wasn't a hire car!

The monkeys had a climb over our bus once the minivan had escaped which was quite funny. Libby didn't understand what was happening but the older children on board found it hilarious .

It turns out there is a monkey bypass, so you can avoid the monkey part if you don’t want to risk them damaging your car. We were still glad we got on the bus though as Libby could see much better and Gary got to enjoy everything too.

We got stuck behind these guys for a while

It took just over an hour and Libby did really well. She was waving to the lions but wasn’t sure of the zebras. She sat in front of me with Gary for most of it then wanted Mummy. She got a bit fussy towards the end and cuddled in to me as if she was going to sleep, but didn’t. She’s not one for just falling asleep randomly .

Reeeeeally needs to nap!

We came off the bus, thanking our guide and got the buggy out of the car. I changed Libby’s nappy and we put her in and gave her a banana.

This was another play area, sort of mini soft play with lots of balls. Libby wasn't old enough though, there was a minimum height
The water was on. Considering we were boiling this was so tempting!

We didn’t want to miss the elephant swim at 12.15 but there was a little train that looked fun just pulling in. I asked the girl how long it lasted and she said 12 minutes, perfect. She told us to wait at the exit gate beside the buggy park and she’d let us through to save us snaking through the queue barriers which was really good of her.

When we got on, I used the opportunity to cover Libby and myself with some more sun cream. I was so paranoid about her burning, especially as it was so hot today! This was a lovely little ride, not sure what she thought was going on but Libby seemed to enjoy it.

We got off the train and headed over to see the elephant swim. We weren’t really sure what to expect as we were all just crowded round half height fences on the lake. Where were the elephants going to come from? How many would there be? The suspense!

They appeared being led by a little dog which was funny to see. All in a line, following the dog and handlers right in to the water in front of us. This was brilliant, we were so close.

They were loving cooling around playing in the water, It looked really refreshing, I could have done with a dip in myself I was boiling. I asked one of the handlers how they get them out and she said they just call their names . We didn't stick around to see it though, it was food time!

We headed to Mombassa Market restaurant for lunch and ordered a pizza slice with crisps (chips), cheesy garlic bread sticks and a chicken tenders meal with 2 soft drinks. This came to about $30, not too bad we thought.

Libby enjoyed ‘dip dipping’ chips (fries) into ketchup and BBQ sauce. We’d only recently let her have some ketchup at home so she was enjoying her new found dipping freedom this trip.

After lunch we had a toilet and nappy stop then walked up to the elephant watch point. Libby was shattered but wouldn’t nap. She didn’t fall asleep in the buggy once the entire trip, our days of buggy naps are well and truly over at just 18 months it seems .

You could pay to go a wee ride on this elephant, it was only $8

Being camera shy

We were the only people at the watch point because the elephant and friends show was on, but it was waaaay too hot for us to sit on the exposed bleachers with Libby so we decided against it. We walked through the cooling stations and got some Dipping Dots to cool down. Libby was a bit suspicious of them at first but soon realised they were yummy and dug in. I needed a drink so grabbed a slushie too.

We walked through the smaller petting farm bit, but we were on a mission to get to the splash pad so didn't stop to pet anything. Sorry Franklin!

It was time for the splash pad! We were soooo warm so this felt like heaven, Gary and I didn’t get our heads or anything wet but even just walking in the water felt SO good. Libby wasn’t sure at first (which isn’t like her actually) and reluctant to get properly in there but she was soon loving it.

Nope, not going in there
And she's off!

We let her wander around, she went on the smaller slide and then found little half dome things spurting water and spent ages playing with them. I took the buggy over to a bench in the shade and sat down, watching them play.

*Warning* If you’re eating or don’t have kids and want to remain oblivious to some of the yuckier side of parenting, skim past the next bit !

After a while, Gary brought her over and as soon as he got near I could smell her nappy. Gary was oblivious (what is it with dads?!) but I knew we had a no.2 situation on our hands . In a swim nappy. It was horrific! I could see it was just starting to seep through her nappy on to her wee dress too. We hot footed it over to the other side of the splash park where the changing rooms were (obviously we were at the furthest point away possible!). Gary carried her over, trying not to let her get too close to him. He handed her to me when we got there and some squidgy poo contaminated water escaped. Honestly disgusting . I think we had just taken her out of the water in time! I ran in to the back corner of the changing rooms, luckily it was empty, and stripped her. Oh. My. God. Low of my mumming life so far! I got her cleaned up and binned everything and we went back outside. Gary had moved over into the shade and we sat on a bench. Got her dried off and into clean clothes. She was absolutely knackered so a bit cranky and I was trying to clean my hands and sort everything so I gave her my slushie to drink. This kept her quiet at least!

*End of yuckiness!* Sorry if that was TMI . We laugh about it now and I couldn't leave it out!

We decided to head, it had been a long hot day and we thought Libby was too tired for even a last wee play in the swing park. On the way out we went to the gift shop (obvs). Gary bought a t-shirt as his was all wet from the splash pad/sweat! We got Libby a super cute unicorn sun hat, I couldn’t not buy it. We also got a little flamingo toy for Libby and a fabric patch. This was only £30 on the clarity card so again we thought it was quite reasonable considering how expensive some of these places can be.

Unicorn hat (this is from another day)

We got in the car about 3 and Libby was fast asleep within 5 minutes. Now that we knew about the monkey bypass we decided to drive out via the safari. This was a great idea and lots of people seemed to be doing it.

We drove round, stopping really close to a rhino. The car right in front of us in this picture were defying the rules and had their windows down to take pictures which really annoyed me, how stupid can you be?!

We eventually drove out of the park at 3.40. We’d had a brilliant day, there was so much we hadn’t even managed to do yet we enjoyed ourselves so much . The splash park was amazing and just the thing to cool down. The other wee park and bigger adventure bit (which Libby was too wee for) were great too and the park was so well kept and clean. It was well worth the money and I’d thoroughly recommend! We’ll be back on future trips.

On the way back we stopped at Rockton Berry Farm Country Market to pick up some juice as we were thirsty. It was the first place we came across as we were still out in the country. Libby was still asleep so I went in to get juice. I also got some cookies and beers, then came out and told Gary to go in and pick his own beers. It was a cute little stop, they had amazing looking pies too, yummmm . I actually don't know why we didn't buy one to take back now that I think about it .

We got home and Libby played with Maggie. We had lasagne for dinner and Libby went to bed just after 8.
We sat and watched the hockey play offs in Vegas, those pre-shows are a bit crazy! Gary and I were in bed just after 10, absolutely shattered after a great day.

Thanks for reading

Edited at 10:04 PM.
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 18, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

What a lovely day! Sometimes it is hard to find an activity that is fun for both the parents and the toddler but this certainly fitted the bill!

Hope the blow out wasn't too traumatic!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 18, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
A fab day at the safari, in spite of the awesome number 2 incident! I couldn't avert my eyes!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 18, 03:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Nesbits
Very Serious Dibber

What a great place. Horrific sounding nappygate, but we've all been there. Your little girl sure loves life
Nesbits is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 18, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
lovely family day
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 18, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

What a fab day, this safari park looks absolutely amazing! The splash pad looked like the perfect way to cool down on such a hot day too! I had to giggle at the pooexplosion though... I am sure they wait until the most inappropriate time to have one to cause you the biggest stress!

Loved the elephants having their swim, such an amazing thing to see!

And Libby's new unicorn hat is the cutest!
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 18, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

What a brilliant day! You found a real treasure there - it looks brilliant, especially the splash pad and elephants!

Lollllll at your warning. Those swim nappies are rubbish at absorbing aren’t they! I know that’s the point but I couldn’t believe how poop (teehee) they were.

Sad times about the end of buggy naps, but it still seems like she was so good and handled the time difference like a pro already.

Hmm pie- which would you have gone for? Xx
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 18, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
What a lovely day! Sometimes it is hard to find an activity that is fun for both the parents and the toddler but this certainly fitted the bill!

Hope the blow out wasn't too traumatic!
We all loved it, such a great park

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
A fab day at the safari, in spite of the awesome number 2 incident! I couldn't avert my eyes!
Haha sorry if it was TMI!

Originally Posted by Nesbits View Post
What a great place. Horrific sounding nappygate, but we've all been there. Your little girl sure loves life
Yep! Nothing prepares you for these types of moments haha. Thank you!

Originally Posted by disney owl View Post
lovely family day
Thanks for commenting

Originally Posted by Lisa_Lollipop View Post
What a fab day, this safari park looks absolutely amazing! The splash pad looked like the perfect way to cool down on such a hot day too! I had to giggle at the pooexplosion though... I am sure they wait until the most inappropriate time to have one to cause you the biggest stress!

Loved the elephants having their swim, such an amazing thing to see!

And Libby's new unicorn hat is the cutest!
They definitely do! I reckon 90% of the poonami's Libby's ever had have been at the most inappropriate times . This was the first ever in a swim nappy and she's been going to weekly swim lessons for a year! xx

Originally Posted by sheluk View Post
What a brilliant day! You found a real treasure there - it looks brilliant, especially the splash pad and elephants!

Lollllll at your warning. Those swim nappies are rubbish at absorbing aren’t they! I know that’s the point but I couldn’t believe how poop (teehee) they were.

Sad times about the end of buggy naps, but it still seems like she was so good and handled the time difference like a pro already.

Hmm pie- which would you have gone for? Xx
It was such a fab place and no sand to be eaten in sight .

Definitely the caramel apple, I love apple pie and anything with caramel has to be gooooood . Next time lol! xx
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 18, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

What a fab day - it looks very hot though so the splash bit looked like a great place to cool down.

I chuckled at the poo incident (sorry!) - funny how dads can be oblivious to the smell sometimes until its too late!
mrsdjh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 18, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Fabulous day, what a great place and super pics, the ones of Libby in the water area are wonderful. Great to see so many animals as well... more lively looking that Animal Kingdom !
Uh oh to the poop situation but well rescued. I can imagine it was a nightmare at the time, one of those, where do i start situations 😱

You must have all been shattered by bedtime .
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List