Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 25 Jul 18, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

Blue Badges recognised again no need for temporary Florida permit

Hi Everyone,

Important please read thru to the end of these posts as the situation is very confusing, and we do still need to apply for temporary permits after all.

Have just been informed by the Special Assistance Team at Virgin Holidays that the rules have changed again

The official department of transport of Florida site has been updated within the last 6 months or so and reconfirms that providing you have the international wheelchair symbol on your badge you can use it.

flhsmv.gov/driver-licens...-florida-faqs/

The Blue Badge does have the relevant symbol so should be recognised.

More details at
flhsmv.gov/motor-vehicle...rida-visitors/

Hope this helps some of you.

Edited at 06:53 PM.
Jennywren is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 18, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
richard29
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for posting

I'm sure it will be helpful to many of us
Old 25 Jul 18, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I have just got a permit for parking it cost £12.94
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 18, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Toryn
Imagineer

This can be so confusing .Another Florida holiday site is adamant that you need to send off to their tax office for a temporary permit .Weve been going to Florida for years and had no idea for the first few years we had to have a temporary permit .So just used the blue badges ,we never had an issue .But then we thought we’d do the right thing and get the permit .But then we were told that as long as we were parking on private ground we didn’t need a permit .So Disney US Iof A etc is private .Wamart shopping areas are private .So last year didn’t apply for a permit and everything was fine .So we were going to apply but reading this I think we’ll not bother
Toryn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 18, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

Yes it's very confusing, we have a Florida permit from our trip in May which we can renew free of charge, so think we will do this for when we go back in October just in case and try and check it out more once we arrive.
Jennywren is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 18, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Toryn
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jennywren View Post
Yes it's very confusing, we have a Florida permit from our trip in May which we can renew free of charge, so think we will dox this for when we go back in October just in case and try and check it out more once we arrive.
Just rang Virgin Atlantic ,they didn’t have a clue .But just looked at the application for a temporary permit and the temporary seems to be for a temporary illness not temporary parking .Going to try to email George Woody who seems to handle this now .But as I’ve said nothing has ever happened when we’ve just used the blue badges
Toryn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 18, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

We have been getting the temporary Florida permits for last few years, but I think we can rely on the info from the official US Florida Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles Authority over that provided by Florida Tourist Info sites.
As Virgin Special Assistance told me today that the rules changed about 6 months ago so some tourist sites may not have caught up with the latest change yet.
Old 25 Jul 18, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jennywren View Post
We have been getting the temporary Florida permits for last few years, but I think we can rely on the info from the official US Florida Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles Authority over that provided by Florida Tourist Info sites.
As Virgin Special Assistance told me today that the rules changed about 6 months ago so some tourist sites may not have caught up with the latest change yet.
Thanks Jen - past this info onto my brother and another disabled friend
Old 26 Jul 18, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
crux
Apprentice Imagineer

Interesting... Last week I sent of the copies of my Blue Badge and passport to get an American Red tag, which is now winging its way to me by post from 'Angie' at the Orange County Tax office. There was no charge as I'm within 12 months of the last one.

When the Red Tag arrives and I email her to tell her it's arrived, I'll ask about the new information as well.
Beach Club Villas 2003 2006 2009 2012 2014 2015 2018
Boardwalk Villas 2016
crux is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 18, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
walk
Getting to know the DIBB

The Florida Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles website states they will honor permits that display the international symbol of accessibility, which I take to be the wheelchair symbol. I checked my wife's Blue badge and the wheelchair symbol is only displayed in the hologram which is not easy to see when checking a vehicle from the outside. Will this still be OK?
walk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List