Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 26 Jul 18, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
crux
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by walk View Post
The Florida Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles website states they will honor permits that display the international symbol of accessibility, which I take to be the wheelchair symbol. I checked my wife's Blue badge and the wheelchair symbol is only displayed in the hologram which is not easy to see when checking a vehicle from the outside. Will this still be OK?
I've just looked at my new one and you are correct. The symbol is on the 'time clock' that comes with the Blue Badge for displaying when you arrived, but this isn't part of the actual blue badge. My suspicion is that we will still have to apply for the US Red Tag, which as long as you can still do it electronically is OK.
Beach Club Villas 2003 2006 2009 2012 2014 2015 2018
Boardwalk Villas 2016
crux is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 18, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
walk
Getting to know the DIBB

Originally Posted by crux View Post
I've just looked at my new one and you are correct. The symbol is on the 'time clock' that comes with the Blue Badge for displaying when you arrived, but this isn't part of the actual blue badge. My suspicion is that we will still have to apply for the US Red Tag, which as long as you can still do it electronically is OK.
I would prefer to pay $15 for a red temporary badge until we get a definitive answer re the acceptability of the UK Blue Badge.
walk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 18, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

Hi Everyone,

I have spent a long time on the phone to the Florida Highways and Motor Vehicles Agency this afternoon trying to clarify why there is so much confusion about this.

We are all correct!

Florida will recognise other countries disabled badges but only if they have the International Wheelchair Symbol printed clearly on them.

The problem is the UK badges don't have this we only have it in the hologram in the left hand corner of the badge which cannot clearly be seen when the badge is displayed.

So until we can get our badges changed we do still have to get the Red Temporary Badges when we travel to Florida.

I have let Virgin Special Assistance know they are giving out incorrect information and in the meantime plan to go and see my MP to try and bring about the necessary nationwide change to blue badges that is needed. Blue Badge design will have to change anyway if/when we Brexit. so now seems a good time to bring this up with the Department of Transport. After all such a simple design change would save everyone a lot of time.
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 18, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
MikeH23
Very Serious Dibber

MikeH23's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Jennywren View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have spent a long time on the phone to the Florida Highways and Motor Vehicles Agency this afternoon trying to clarify why there is so much confusion about this.

We are all correct!

Florida will recognise other countries disabled badges but only if they have the International Wheelchair Symbol printed clearly on them.

The problem is the UK badges don't have this we only have it in the hologram in the left hand corner of the badge which cannot clearly be seen when the badge is displayed.

So until we can get our badges changed we do still have to get the Red Temporary Badges when we travel to Florida.

I have let Virgin Special Assistance know they are giving out incorrect information and in the meantime plan to go and see my MP to try and bring about the necessary nationwide change to blue badges that is needed. Blue Badge design will have to change anyway if/when we Brexit. so now seems a good time to bring this up with the Department of Transport. After all such a simple design change would save everyone a lot of time.
Thanks for that very interesting & helpful reply. My wife only got her blue badge just over a year ago so this will be our first trip with a parking permit.
MikeH23 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 18, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MikeH23 View Post
Thanks for that very interesting & helpful reply. My wife only got her blue badge just over a year ago so this will be our first trip with a parking permit.
Hi Mike - have you made application for the Fl temp permit yet? If not I can give you easy instructions how to do so
Old 26 Jul 18, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
MikeH23
Very Serious Dibber

MikeH23's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi Mike - have you made application for the Fl temp permit yet? If not I can give you easy instructions how to do so
Hi, no we haven’t applied as yet but thought I had seen somewhere about 60 days before but that would be great if you could guide us, thank you that’s really kind & helpful 👍
MikeH23 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 18, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MikeH23 View Post
Hi, no we haven’t applied as yet but thought I had seen somewhere about 60 days before but that would be great if you could guide us, thank you that’s really kind & helpful 👍
Nee bother at all. Below is a copy of a pm another Dibber kindly sent me for my brother, I stole it to give to Dibbers It's as easy as it reads below to complete the form, but if in any doubt please shout:

Greetings,

To issue a US Parking placard I'll need you to complete the attached form and return with signature and travel dates. I'll also need a copy of your blue badge (front and back), and your passport. The fee is $17.00 US Dollars [$15 + $2 card fee] that can be paid by credit card after processing your documents. Thank you

GEORGE A.L. WOODY, ASSISTANT MANAGER, AGENCY 11, OPERATIONS CENTER... Orange County Tax Collector Scott Randolph

Phone: 407-254-1039 Fax: 407-254-1074

email: gwoody@octaxcol.com

Form can be downloaded HERE

As a Non-US citizen you only need to fill in the top section and where it asks for Florida driving licence or ID card simply write NON-US.

I emailed all the copies of the documents back to George Woody and within an hour and a half had a reply saying docs received and all that was required to complete my application was payment. Ring the phone number above to make payment by card over the phone.

Duly done, an email receipt was issued immediately and the agent said the placard would be processed that day and sent to me in the UK.
Old 26 Jul 18, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I can check this out folks on my next visit I need to pay a bill at Polk County tax office on the 27 at Posner Park any way so easy to ask
I need to anyway for our villa info sheet
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 18, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
MikeH23
Very Serious Dibber

MikeH23's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Nee bother at all. Below is a copy of a pm another Dibber kindly sent me for my brother, I stole it to give to Dibbers It's as easy as it reads below to complete the form, but if in any doubt please shout:

Greetings,

To issue a US Parking placard I'll need you to complete the attached form and return with signature and travel dates. I'll also need a copy of your blue badge (front and back), and your passport. The fee is $17.00 US Dollars [$15 + $2 card fee] that can be paid by credit card after processing your documents. Thank you

GEORGE A.L. WOODY, ASSISTANT MANAGER, AGENCY 11, OPERATIONS CENTER... Orange County Tax Collector Scott Randolph

Phone: 407-254-1039 Fax: 407-254-1074

email: gwoody@octaxcol.com

Form can be downloaded HERE

As a Non-US citizen you only need to fill in the top section and where it asks for Florida driving licence or ID card simply write NON-US.

I emailed all the copies of the documents back to George Woody and within an hour and a half had a reply saying docs received and all that was required to complete my application was payment. Ring the phone number above to make payment by card over the phone.

Duly done, an email receipt was issued immediately and the agent said the placard would be processed that day and sent to me in the UK.
That’s really helpful thanks so much for your quick response really appreciated 👍👍
Old 27 Jul 18, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Altho Lee County, 150 miles SW of Orlando, I ran this by our Sheriff Deputy pal, he's going to run it by their traffic dept for their stance re the wheelchair being in the hologram. As my disabled brother has a property in Cape Coral he'll be interested in their view.

Again, Jenny, thanks for the heads up on this