Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 2 Aug 18, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by arielrocks View Post
Also get a balcony. Yes you can cope with an inside and go up deck to look around but nothing beats sitting in your pjs with a blanket watching the world go by as eagles soar around you!
Haha no I can’t cope with inside. Horrendous seasickness on the Disney Dream in 2016 and that was only saved by a verandah. So that is the only way I’m getting on another cruise

Thanks guys! I really do want to do the DCL one. Will have to do some proper pricing up and see what you get with each line. We would be looking for 2021 I think as the wedding is costing an arm and a leg. But I’ll keep an eye out for the realse of the 2020 dates so I can see prices etc .

So glad everyone’s recommended it!

For those of you who went with DCL - were there families etc about? I’ve read one review that the cruise (not DCL) was really mostly for those over retirement age.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 18, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
June8th
Apprentice Imagineer

I used to get really seasick.
I now use Sea Bands, bought from Boots, they work really well.
So well that I now find I don’t need them unless it is very rough ( force 9 coming back from New York!).
They put pressure on the inside of the wrist, so get a size to suit your wrist. Mine are child size.
Worth trying!
June8th is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by June8th View Post
I used to get really seasick.
I now use Sea Bands, bought from Boots, they work really well.
So well that I now find I don’t need them unless it is very rough ( force 9 coming back from New York!).
They put pressure on the inside of the wrist, so get a size to suit your wrist. Mine are child size.
Worth trying!
Thank you definitely will try these. I look back at our pics now of the cruise and I just didn’t see most of it! DF took himself off for hours by the looks of it
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
disneygirl1985
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
Haha no I can’t cope with inside. Horrendous seasickness on the Disney Dream in 2016 and that was only saved by a verandah. So that is the only way I’m getting on another cruise

Thanks guys! I really do want to do the DCL one. Will have to do some proper pricing up and see what you get with each line. We would be looking for 2021 I think as the wedding is costing an arm and a leg. But I’ll keep an eye out for the realse of the 2020 dates so I can see prices etc .

So glad everyone’s recommended it!

For those of you who went with DCL - were there families etc about? I’ve read one review that the cruise (not DCL) was really mostly for those over retirement age.
This was our first cruise and I did feel a little wobbly on the first day gaining my sea legs, however I was fine once I ate some food

From what I understand from cruise veterans on our sailing, it was much smoother compared to other cruises due to spending most of the time transiting the inside passage which is sheltered water.

I just remembered to recommend the following facebook group you may find useful: ./DCL.Alaska.QandA/

With regards to your last question, yes there was plenty of families on board as this the target audience of DCL, with clubs and entertainment to suit. It is worth noting as a couple without children there are also plenty of adults-only areas of the ship also, and we barely noticed kids onboard.

It is important to do brand research on Cruise lines before you book as they are all tailored to suit a certain niche market. This was noticeable on port days when you were in with other ships, which seemed to cater for retirement age individuals.
Old 3 Aug 18, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by disneygirl1985 View Post
This was our first cruise and I did feel a little wobbly on the first day gaining my sea legs, however I was fine once I ate some food

From what I understand from cruise veterans on our sailing, it was much smoother compared to other cruises due to spending most of the time transiting the inside passage which is sheltered water.

I just remembered to recommend the following facebook group you may find useful: ./DCL.Alaska.QandA/

With regards to your last question, yes there was plenty of families on board as this the target audience of DCL, with clubs and entertainment to suit. It is worth noting as a couple without children there are also plenty of adults-only areas of the ship also, and we barely noticed kids onboard.

It is important to do brand research on Cruise lines before you book as they are all tailored to suit a certain niche market. This was noticeable on port days when you were in with other ships, which seemed to cater for retirement age individuals.

Thank you . We loved DCL and that’s really who I want to go with. Although we don’t have children, I prefer a family atmosphere with adult only sections, rather than an adult only cruise.

I really hoped I’d feel better after food, but I only felt better after 3 days safely back on land 😂😂 on deck/on the balcony/in the water I was fine. Also I fear getting a cold didn’t help matters. But I’ve learnt - take all the tablets/bands etc I can find!

Thank you for your helpful post!
Old 5 Aug 18, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We did a 7 day Alaska cruise with Holland America last May. I could get seasick in a park paddling pool but on this trip the weather was fantastic and calm. They even had the roof open with people in the swimming pool. We did the Whale watching cruise at Juneau, lots of whales. The white pass rail trip at Skagway was great. Ketchican trips didn’t apoeal so we didn’t bother. Glacier Bay was stunning and we got really close to the glacier. We did the cruise as part of a trip by VIA rail across Canada where you sleep 3 nights on the train and a coach tour of the Rockies. We booked with Cosmos and it all worked out really well.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 18, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Yeah, the rail trip was great in Skagway. Called The White Pass and Yukon Railroad. In another town we just walked about which is very interesting. In one place we booked a white water rapids trip. It was very tame even for us first (and only) timers but great fun. I think that may have been Juneau. Ketchikan can be very wet, apparently the wettest place in Alaska but we were lucky and it didn’t rain and we took a Duck Boat tour. That was fun too. It is a cruise we would love to do again. We were with Holland America.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 18, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkJ
Imagineer

We've done two Alaska cruises - both with NCL - the itinerary was Seattle, Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, Glacier Bay and Victoria before arriving back in 7 Seattle. It was 7 nights.

Alaskan cruises are wonderful and although we've done them around Hawaii, Caribbean, Med and are just back from a 9 night Baltic Cruise - on the NCL Breakaway - we are planning another Alaska Cruise for 2020

There is so much to see and do in Alaska and I promise you will come back wanting to go again because you cannot fit it all in.

Ive never cruised with DCL and it does sound like your heart is set on it - however the bigger ships like Breakaway and Bliss are more stable and may therefore be a better option if you get sea-sickness -we did have flat seas in the Baltic but we couldn't tell we were on a ship unless we looked outside.

We like NCL because they offer "Freestyle" cruising with choices of main or speciality restaurants and shows and entertainment at times you can just turn up to - so no prescribed sittings or times

There are many cruise lines and any options so you will have plenty of choice - but also remember that cruises can book from over 2 years out

Oh and Virgin fly to Seattle too
MarkJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 18, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

we're on NCL next month (hubby's choice as good deal booked last year) - 7 nights from Seward to Vancouver but we're having 8 nights on land first that we have organised ourselves, by train.

We fly into Fairbanks (via Seattle) for 2 nights, and weather permitting, have a 1 day excursion to see polar bears in Kaktovik.
Train to Denali for 2 nights and booked the park bus to get around.
Train to Talkeetna for 1 night.
Train to Anchorage for 1 night.
Train to Seward for 2 nights and have dog sled and glacier excursion and Kenai Fjords day cruise.
Board our cruise and have booked excursions ourselves
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Thank you all so much!

MarkJ I have thought about NCL but I thought their ships were smaller than DCL? (Maybe just the dream?) my heart is set on DCL, however my bank balance disagrees 😂 might have to do a shorter cruise with DCL somewhere else as a mini moon as we won’t be looking at going on honeymoon until probably 2021.

So much to think about!