Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 5 Aug 18, 04:41 AM  
Link to this Post

Go Pro Hero 6 Issues

Just a rant.

Bought a Go Pro Hero 6 for the hols (here now) to replace our old camera and take to DC and the water parks as its waterproof.

Couple of days in after doing the lazy river at Discovery Cove it starts to sporadically run through the settings and the screen becomes unresponsive. Missed around half a days experience. Such a shame and lost memories.

Dried it out over night in the garage and it came back to life. However black lines on the screen which thankfully do not affect the recordings.

A little splash around in the pool a few days later and the Go Pro went AWOL again. Drying out in the garage seemed to have sorted it again however more black lines.

Not used it near water since but each day I switch it back on more black lines appear (about 40% of the screen now) however the recordings are ok. With a bit of luck we'll make the end of our hols being able to see what we are recording

Purchased off Amazon, so don't expect any issues in returning it. Shame as the picture clarity and stabilisation at 2.7K@50FPS is fantastic.

Edited at 04:43 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 18, 06:08 AM  
Link to this Post
malt1977
Apprentice Imagineer

That’s unfortunate and extremely frustrating for you, I really hope it lasts and that Amazon can do something for you.

Enjoy the rest of your trip and please keep us updated on the outcome with Amazon as it might be very helpful to others.
malt1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 18, 07:00 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

I bought a hero 6 for our Florida trip and apart from the short battery life it has worked fine.

However I also bought a karma grip (stabiluser) which failed at Heathrow on the way out so never got used for the holiday which was a dissapointment.

Did you shoot in 2k7 to avoid the fish eye effect? I did.
Old 5 Aug 18, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
I bought a hero 6 for our Florida trip and apart from the short battery life it has worked fine.

However I also bought a karma grip (stabiluser) which failed at Heathrow on the way out so never got used for the holiday which was a dissapointment.

Did you shoot in 2k7 to avoid the fish eye effect? I did.
Shooting in 2.7K lets you shoot in both linear and fish eye. The most important for me over 4K and 2.7K is the stabilisation, its brilliant.

I like shooting in both linear and fish eye (didn't think I would like fish eye, but at least its a positive I've found with the Go Pro)

I have watched a few tutorials on removing the fish eye post production in Adobe Premiere. If I don't like the footage when I get home I'll be giving that a go :-)

Edited at 02:32 PM.
Old 5 Aug 18, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Originally Posted by jessicawabbit View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Shooting in 2.7K lets you shoot in both linear and fish eye. The most important for me over 4K and 2.7K is the stabilisation, its brilliant.

I like shooting in both linear and fish eye (didn't think I would like fish eye, but at least its a positive I've found with the Go Pro)

I have watched a few tutorials on removing the fish eye post production in Adobe Premiere. If I don't like the footage when I get home I'll be giving that a go :-)
I did play with removing fish eye in an editor but it increases the rendering time but is certainly an option
Old 5 Aug 18, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Definitely more black lines visible today. Still enough real-estate to see what I'm pointing the Go Pro at though and only another 2 full days left for it to survice :-)

I did play with removing fish eye in an editor but it increases the rendering time but is certainly an option
Good to know it works. I'll let it render overnight if I have to :-)
Old 6 Aug 18, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Originally Posted by jessicawabbit View Post
Definitely more black lines visible today. Still enough real-estate to see what I'm pointing the Go Pro at though and only another 2 full days left for it to survice :-)

Good to know it works. I'll let it render overnight if I have to :-)
I bought some software for Windows called power director. It has some presents in it for adjusting fish eye distortion which works very well. You just select the make and model number and apply it to the cottage and it does it all for you. Obviously this will cause some re-rendering but that can't be avoided.
Old 6 Aug 18, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post

RIP GO PRO HERO 6

Arrived at the Epcot parking lot last night for our Frozen Dessert Party. Switched the Go Pro on (as you do) and nothing but a black screen. Hit record with the intention of checking later at the villa that it still recorded and it still does. However, completely useless when you can't see what you record.

Now only if I hadn't disabled wi-fi (in an attempt to conserve the outrageous battery life) I could have used my iPhone as a view finder

Some character meets tonight, so iPhone and D7500 as backups.

Will be returning the Go Pro to Amazon on our return. Don't envisage any issues so will be looking for an alternative.

Grateful for any suggestions, although not water proof the Sony FDR-AX53 looks good.

I bought some software for Windows called power director. It has some presents in it for adjusting fish eye distortion which works very well. You just select the make and model number and apply it to the cottage and it does it all for you. Obviously this will cause some re-rendering but that can't be avoided.
Thanks BerkshireBugsy, will take a gander. Hopefully the fish eye footage I've taken will work well on a bigger screen. If not then I'll definitely removing it.
Old 14 Aug 18, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Happy days, Hermes collected the Go Pro on behalf of Amazon yesterday and I've just had notification from Amazon today that they will refund the money within 3-5 days.

Great customer services