Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 1 Sep 18, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Croatia

We are looking for a new destination for a week's holiday next summer. Our shortlist are a few Italian resorts, such as Lake Garda or Sorrento. However, Croatia seems to be popular now and I must admit to knowing nothing about it. I have just read a Telegraph article online which makes it sound very appealing with golden beaches, stunning lakes and waterfalls and historical, picturesque towns. But, it seems to be vast and spread over the whole country. Where would be the best place to stay? We wouldn't drive so are trips available to book to see other areas, or are they easy to get to by train/ferry etc? Is there anything that is a must see there, or any hints or tips? What is the weather like in July? Which airlines fly there, or package companies?

Any information gratefully received? 😀

TIA Sue
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 18, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Anyone been here? 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 18, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Not been yet but going at the end of the month. It's been on my bucket list for years.
Old 1 Sep 18, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
Not been yet but going at the end of the month. It's been on my bucket list for years.
Let me know how it goes 😀. Where are you staying? I had a look this morning at resort areas and it all looked beautiful but I was confused over where was the best area to stay.

Hope you have a lovely holiday
Old 1 Sep 18, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
knittedknickers
Getting Excited

Just got back from Corsica. We went to Calvi and did lots of driving around the island. I t was amazing. Its the most mountainous island in the med. The landscape very similar to the Scottish highlands but you are garanteed good weather.
knittedknickers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 18, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
folkie
Loves sailing in the sun!

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 170
I’m in Croatia right now, sitting on a yacht that we’ve been sailing around the Dalmatian islands for the last week,we have one more week to go. This is our second sailing holiday to Croatia, the last time we sailed out of Dubrovnik (beautiful old town) this time we’ve started from near Trogir.

We wouldn’t want to stay in one place, we’d get bored! Unless you sail it’s a good idea to island-hop using the network of ferries, or boat trips seem to be pretty common. Some of the islands have no cars (e.g. Zlarin, where we were a few days ago) so are really peaceful.

It’s not really the place for golden beaches though, most of them are rocky or shingle / coarse sand. That’s why the sea is so clear - there’s very little sediment in the water. Many places have steps down the rocks to swim, and most beaches are small.

It’s an absolutely beautiful country, and we’re loving every minute of our holiday.

Edited at 09:15 PM.
folkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 18, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by folkie View Post
I’m in Croatia right now, sitting on a yacht that we’ve been sailing around the Dalmatian islands for the last week,we have one more week to go. This is our second sailing holiday to Croatia, the last time we sailed out of Dubrovnik (beautiful old town) this time we’ve started from near Trogir.

We wouldn’t want to stay in one place, we’d get bored! Unless you sail it’s a good idea to island-hop using the network of ferries, or boat trips seem to be pretty common. Some of the islands have no cars (e.g. Zlarin, where we were a few days ago) so are really peaceful.

It’s not really the place for golden beaches though, most of them are rocky or shingle / coarse sand. That’s why the sea is so clear - there’s very little sediment in the water. Many places have steps down the rocks to swim, and most beaches are small.

It’s an absolutely beautiful country, and we’re loving every minute of our holiday.
Hi, I have been looking at trogir for next year. We did a bit of sailing around Greece this summer and it was fab.

Being nosy, is yours a self-hire yacht or flotilla trip or something else? It sounds just what I have been looking for.

DisneyD - easyJet out of Bristol do plenty of flights to Pula/Split and Dubrovnik. We have narrowed it down to the Trogir area via Split. Lots of beautiful towns ferries and islands to explore. Not been there yet - but on the case!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 18, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks both for your replies. It sounds beautiful. Trogir was one of the places we were looking at this morning, we liked the idea of island hopping with the ferries. We were in Venice earlier this year and really enjoyed visiting the smaller islands from there so Croatia sounds similar. My daughter loves the sound of the clear seas too so we definitely are interested in finding out more.

Is it possible to get a ferry from Dubrovnik to the smaller islands too? Or Corsica by ferry from Croatia?

I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday Folkie, it sounds blissful. Thanks for taking time to reply 😊
Old 1 Sep 18, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Hi, I have been looking at trogir for next year. We did a bit of sailing around Greece this summer and it was fab.

Being nosy, is yours a self-hire yacht or flotilla trip or something else? It sounds just what I have been looking for.

DisneyD - easyJet out of Bristol do plenty of flights to Pula/Split and Dubrovnik. We have narrowed it down to the Trogir area via Split. Lots of beautiful towns ferries and islands to explore. Not been there yet - but on the case!
Thanks again, Easyjet from Bristol sounds great for us 😀. We only looked briefly this morning (been out this afternoon) but Trogir appealed to us on first look too. We may end up there the same time as you 😀

We found some reasonably priced packages with Jet2 from Birmingham but will also be checking diy prices such as Easyjet

Edited at 09:31 PM.
Old 1 Sep 18, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
folkie
Loves sailing in the sun!

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 170
Mobile

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post

We flew EasyJet to Split. We’re on flotilla, doing two separate one week ones with Sunsail (Krka last week, Hvar from tomorrow) because our daughter is a teacher so had to fly home today, so we had to come back to Marina Agana to drop her off.

We could bareboat as we’re both qualified skippers with a fair amount of experience, but like flotillas because of the extra support and guaranteed space at the quay or mooring ball. Otherwise in high season you sometimes have to be into harbour by three or four o’clock if you don’t have a reserved space.
91 Brittany 92 Scotland 93 France 94 France 95 Dartmouth 96 Moved house 97 Terra Mare (Greece) 98 Swanage 99 Yedi Tepe (Turkey) 00 Canada/Tunisia 01 Ottawa, Antigua/Bitez 02 DLP/Cornwall 03 Antigua/Gower 04 Ottawa/Croatia/Vendee 05 BVI/Hurghada 06 Javelin (Turkey) 07 Perili (Turkey) 08 Orlando 09 Rosas 10 Orlando 11 Les Deux Alpes 12 Morocco 13 Brittany 14 Vassiliki 15 Orlando 16 DLP/New England/Ottawa 17 Ionian
folkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List