Notices
Offers, Discounts, Codes, Cashback and UK Shopping Money Saving tips, UK shopping topics , discount links and offers.

Old 3 Sep 18, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Mylittleminion
Helping Minnie

Question aldi shoppers good/bad buys?

we finally have an aldi local enough to get to on a regular basis and the potential savings look decent but it was packed when we went so only picked up a couple of bits which have been hit & miss with the family so don't want to buy loads and then waste it.

I am going back to have a proper look around this week so wondered what things would you recommend or avoid?

also anyone tried the nappies?

thanks
Mylittleminion is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 18, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

The nappies are brilliant, would definitely recommend giving them a go. We use the baby wipes too.

I've not really come across anything we didn't like or wouldn't buy again! I think the quality of their stuff is excellent .
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 18, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I am little unhappy with our Aldi at the minute and am having a rest from it.
The fruit and veg has been awful in my local store recently particularly the strawberries, raspberries and bananas. Had enough of throwing food away. I had to go back last week with chicken sausages that were 2 days out of date when I bought them. I am usually good at noticing dates but missed these ! The fat free yogurts are ok, the 5% mince and the chicken portions but to be honest these are no cheaper than Asda. The wine/ gin is ok.

Maybe each store is different but I will be giving it a miss for a while !
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 18, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
0420wilmut
Imagineer

I’m a fan, especially love their cheeses but I do have to agree about the quality of the fruit & veg - it’s not great. I do still buy it but not vast amounts as it does seem to go over quite quickly. DH buys Toro Loco red wine, he loves Tempranillo wines and swears by Aldi’s.
May 2023 POP & 1 night RPR
0420wilmut is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 18, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

I like Aldi their meat is good, chickens much cheaper than morrisons, bread, cakes, chocolate, etc all good, my very picky DH prefers their crisps and baked beans to the top brands... I can’t tell the difference between their tomato sauce and Heinz.
I find you do have to watch their fruit and veg as they don’t have a great shelf life, unlike the cooked meats which seem to have very good sell by dates...
My shop averaged Ł100+ at morrisons now average Ł60...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 18, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Their brioche buns are some of the best I’ve ever tried. Their BBQ marinade is also very good. Those are the only two stand out things that I’ve found in there.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 18, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Their lemonade is delicious. Really lemony, and far nicer than Schweppes.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 18, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
blondie28143
Very Serious Dibber

Agreed, the fruit/veg & meats seem to be a locality thing. Ours seem to be brilliant and last for ages whereas Lidls fruit/ veg & meat goes off very quickly.
Go to another area and it seems to be the reverse. Having said that, Lidl has some great tasting other foods that you can't get in Aldi. I'm very fortunate as I live in the middle of both in opposite directions.

I can't think of anything my family doesn't like or prefer from elsewhere.
Aldi has been my choice of shop for years now. Prices have crept up I have noticed however seeing as I rarely shop elsewhere, I can't really compare to how prices have increased in other supermarkets.

blondie28143 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 18, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I definitely wouldn’t recommend the whole chicken from Monday’s tea... taken it up with Aldi customer service and the Councils Food Safety Manager.

Sorry if you have a delicate stomach !
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 18, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
macy
VIP Dibber

macy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
I definitely wouldn’t recommend the whole chicken from Monday’s tea... taken it up with Aldi customer service and the Councils Food Safety Manager.

Sorry if you have a delicate stomach !
oh yuck that looks awful, I have found their fruit and veg to be poor but meat and chickens fine. Our local Aldi has been closed for a few weeks as they are extending it. They will loose customers if they continue to sell food that is really past it's best or not the standard it should be. Hope you get some form of compensation.
macy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List