Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Sep 18, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs_Taz
VIP Dibber

kevin_cambs_uk Japan train help please

Hi Kevin,

Hoping you can help

I've managed to find flights from Dublin into Osaka which is coming up cheaper that flying into Tokyo. So the plan is to use the train to go to Tokyo for a few days and then down to Hiroshima too. Is there a Rail Pass we can buy that will cover all and I can purchase before we go?

Many thanks

Louise
Old 16 Sep 18, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Can I tag on to this also. I know we should buy the rail pass before we go but where? I don’t want to buy from some dodgy site! I also read somewhere that we should not buy it more than 3 months out with the travel date.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Mobile

You will need to get the japan rail pass the country wide one

Now as you are doing a few trips to and from Tokyo and to Hiroshima it will pay off easily

All you need to work out is whether you want the 7 day or 14 day pass as if you get all the travel in one week a 2 week pass is wasted

So have a think about that and we can take it from there
2000 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2002 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2003 - Caribbean Beach. 2004 - Forgot where we stayed. 2008 - Pop Century. 2012 - Disneyland Paris for the day. 2015 - Contemporary Resort - 7 days, POFQ - 3 days. 2016 Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. 2018 Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge
kevin_cambs_uk is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Mobile

I will send you both the link of the site I used but it will be a week as I am not at my computer but I won’t forget!
2000 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2002 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2003 - Caribbean Beach. 2004 - Forgot where we stayed. 2008 - Pop Century. 2012 - Disneyland Paris for the day. 2015 - Contemporary Resort - 7 days, POFQ - 3 days. 2016 Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. 2018 Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge
kevin_cambs_uk is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs_Taz
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by kevin_cambs_uk View Post
I will send you both the link of the site I used but it will be a week as I am not at my computer but I won’t forget!
Thank you so much

Louise
Old 16 Sep 18, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
swiper
VIP Dibber

My son has just came back from Japan.
He had a jp rail pass which we bought online.
It came to our house in the uk. ( the documentation) He collected it in narita airport.
The lady asked him where he was traveling to and she booked the majority of his trips there and then.
It cost about £195.

This pass can’t be bought in Japan.

Edited at 01:23 PM.
swiper is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

If it helps we got our JR passes from Inside Japan in both 2015 and 2017.

The paperwork comes to your house in the UK then you physically pick up the pass from a train station in Japan - at that time we could choose the date on which it starts, in case you want to collect it a few days before your first trip.

Most ticket offices at the relevant stations have a special line for picking up the pass that’s usually clearly marked in English - but you can often see the line of tourists! We always tried to collect earlier in the day to get a shorter line.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Thanks Wordsworth. We will be getting a 14 day pass and will be using it on the day we arrive on the Nex? Train into the city so I suppose we will be joining a line at the airport!
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Johnnyp
Imagineer

Johnnyp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
With the JR rail pass, you can’t take the fastest trains, so you may have a few stops but still far better than what we have
Johnnyp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

you may not be aware but here is a good train planner.

hyperdia/en/
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List